HybridZ

ZCC - Custom Tail Project (Rear Spoiler)

palauoriginal

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would be a whoolllle lot more interested if you yourself made it as we all know what we can expect from paulo on a few things atleast. I would rather have a NICE whole carbon one as well, especially with the weight savings but would want it to look GREAT not just a "here its light and you can paint over it" kindof part. and would love it if you would have a quality clear that wouldnt peel or fade and could look great as a "show" spoiler. Thanks for getting this going, we need a quality composite guy in the z world like we have all hoped for, for years now! -Jeff

I'd be in for sure if it didn't look so rectangular when viewed from the back.

Picture_0088.jpg

I'd like to see the ends taper in for a more trapezoidal shape.

(this kind of shape, but not this extreme)

trapezoid.jpg

It looks great from the other angles I've seen so far though...

Nigel

'73 240ZT

i'm with nigel on this one. i did consider that the pic nig referenced may be distorted due to either the close proximity of the camera, a wider angle lens or both. be nice to see a direct shot of the spoiler from a bit further back as well as a profile view.

You know, its almost scary how much we all think alike!!

RTz and I were just talking a few weeks ago, on what things might be changed if the tail was to be molded. One of these things was exactly what Nigel touched on. The tail does seem to sqaure to fit with the rounded form of the Z. We talked about rounding out the sides of the tail to add a bit more of a smooth transition off the side of the car.

We also talked about smoothing out the leading edge that has a pretty blunt edge that stands about 1/2 off the deck. It's an abrupt edge that would be nice to smooth out, and make a sharper, thinner, and smoother transition into the hatch.

SDRev is in the process of building a show car in Southern California, S30 with a Vortec 350 SBC. We're very interested in running this tail in CF, at the right price and acceptable weave. You could call us a 100% sale if you can get these within 4 months, and you'd get the spoiler in front of a whole lot of eyes.

Why not do Kevlar instead of FG? Kevlar costs about the same, is a bit lighter and has good impact resistance. Put a nice gel-coat on it and paint it any color you like. As far as CF goes, I think unfinished CF looks tacky (stock Hondas with CF hoods come to mind) just paint to match or a nice satin black. Just some personal preference:wc:.

Well my body man covered up the spoiler to work on the rear hatch. I told him to focus on the rear hatch/spoiler combo because there were a lot of quesitons being generated about the Sparrow Tail.

He went Area 51/Skunkworks on me :( I'll see what I can do as quickly as possible to get him to mount the tail and get some better pics.

(lousy cell phone pics too)

Picture006-1.jpg

Picture002.jpg