HybridZ

The great debate: 1jzgte or 7mgte?!

Kurai

im not sure on how you dont plan to spend too much but from your list, it seems like you will be spending a whole bunch... looks like a wish list? you dont need to go all out on the 1jz motor to pull 500hp. sounds like your building something more in the 800hp from your list. put in some new rings, headgasket and arp studs and your good to go. no need for all the good stuff unless your really going all out. all those good parts just to pull 500hp is a little over kill IMO.

Excellent thats exactly the feedback I wanted to know......the list is a sorta all out list but there is no place online that can act as a guide to what id need for a nice reliable 500+whp engine.

The more things I can cut from the list the better and more that can go into the suspension,brakes,body etc etc.....my original target was to spend between 12-14k on this project for the body restoration and engine build.

......what would be a rock solid list to reach that 500whp+ goal? Including a good EMS?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, here's my thought on a good realiable street 1jz.

nice big turbo ofcorse... t62? my option will be a t70 if you want higher later harder spool (top end with more hp compatibility). somewhere on supra mania mentions the 1jz takes a bit longer to spool a t70. so a t62 will be a perfect street turbo and still capible of 500-550hp.

injector... usdm 2jzgte 550cc should cover 500-550hp according to the 2jz na-t guys. anything more is always better for future madness.

and ofcorse you already have it cover. a good standalone and tunning. 500hp is still in the mid ballpark and very doable with the 1jz. like i mention, metal HG, arp head studs and new rings and your motor should be rocking with 17 or more psi. will besides all the basic BOV, FMIC etc...

this is just my though so someone shim in if they have any better ideas. im doing a plain jane 2jzge with GTE factory headgasket, ARP head studs and thats it for internals. besides the injectors/turbo/ and custom front face manifold, im planning to run MAP ecu which is a piggyback setup but very affordable. plan to run at least 17psi+ through a 70mm turbo and hope to see 500hp and some v8-10-12's through my rear view mirror on the freeway.

ok, here's my thought on a good realiable street 1jz.

nice big turbo ofcorse... t62? my option will be a t70 if you want higher later harder spool (top end with more hp compatibility). somewhere on supra mania mentions the 1jz takes a bit longer to spool a t70. so a t62 will be a perfect street turbo and still capible of 500-550hp.

injector... usdm 2jzgte 550cc should cover 500-550hp according to the 2jz na-t guys. anything more is always better for future madness.

and ofcorse you already have it cover. a good standalone and tunning. 500hp is still in the mid ballpark and very doable with the 1jz. like i mention, metal HG, arp head studs and new rings and your motor should be rocking with 17 or more psi. will besides all the basic BOV, FMIC etc...

this is just my though so someone shim in if they have any better ideas. im doing a plain jane 2jzge with GTE factory headgasket, ARP head studs and thats it for internals. besides the injectors/turbo/ and custom front face manifold, im planning to run MAP ecu which is a piggyback setup but very affordable. plan to run at least 17psi+ through a 70mm turbo and hope to see 500hp and some v8-10-12's through my rear view mirror on the freeway.

Thanks for the good info.....from info I have been gathering the short list is looking more like this...

The turbo kit (piping etc etc) Im thinking of either running this:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT35/GT3582R_714568_3.htm

or this...

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT30/GT3076R_700382_12.htm

Im not real familiar with the T-62. But thinking the first just for more room to grow down the line lol...

Then the CP piston and ring kit offered over at driftmotion sionce the rings are toasted anyways...and will probably have them ceramic treated at Swaintech before installing them, probably the skirts treated too.

Might as well upgrade the bearings while im in there as well.

Then should just be the fuel system...either Walboro intank or inline (or both for future improvement lol) 255lph pump, AFPR kit w/gauge (still not sure where to get bigger then 550cc injectors for the 1jz, or if I should just go ahead and dish out the cash for the fuel rail and go that way to get the bigger injectors).

and probably a aftermarket timing belt since I hear there are heating issues with the stock belt.

I am looking at the 1JZ now as it is if the information I have gathered from all you guys (thanks for the great input by the way) I hsould be able to meet my goal or close and still have a decent amount of cash to restore the car, body work, repaint, custom interior dash, and get some goodies for the exterior as well.

I thought the 1jz swap would be really easy, but it ended up being a huge pain in the ass. Getting the motor mounted in was the easy part. All of the other fitment issues and little things are what make it a hard swap. Also the fact that swapping a high horse power engine into a stock 70's car suspension and drivetrain is a bad idea, so you have to make sure your chasis/suspension will hold up to the swap, and that gets very expensive. I definitely would have gone the RB route, but I already had the 1jz motor.

I thought the 1jz swap would be really easy, but it ended up being a huge pain in the ass. Getting the motor mounted in was the easy part. All of the other fitment issues and little things are what make it a hard swap. Also the fact that swapping a high horse power engine into a stock 70's car suspension and drivetrain is a bad idea, so you have to make sure your chasis/suspension will hold up to the swap, and that gets very expensive. I definitely would have gone the RB route, but I already had the 1jz motor.

Yeah same here...I already got the 1jz and the 7m. Are there any good tips you can give me on some of the other things I may run into outside of swapping the engine in?

I read your build thread lotta good info there...is there anything else you can give me a heads up on? Especially in the drivetrain area.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as engine management goes, take a look at megasquirt, it'll run just fine if you set it up right. I ran MS on my l28et swap and it did great (wasn't aiming for 500 hp though), and now that I'm putting a 7m in my '73, I'm going with a product called VEMS (http://www.vems.us/), highly recommended by a few friends of mine, they say it's basically a more professional, less finicky version of MS.

As far as engine management goes, take a look at megasquirt, it'll run just fine if you set it up right. I ran MS on my l28et swap and it did great (wasn't aiming for 500 hp though), and now that I'm putting a 7m in my '73, I'm going with a product called VEMS (http://www.vems.us/), highly recommended by a few friends of mine, they say it's basically a more professional, less finicky version of MS.

Hmmm never heard of it before looks interesting did you have any quirks with the unit you were running, things you wished it had or things you felt it needed?

• 1 month later...

Wgat is a good 500hp 1JZ build plan? Rods and Pistons are already on the list but what else would i need (including turbos single or twin) to see 500+?

I keep getting conflicting answers i get from stock engine with higher boost to a half fully built block :-|? So im just trying to get a solid list so i can start buying lol.....oh and its going in a 73 now not a 77 plans fell thru on the 77 but just purchased a 73 from another member here. :o

go with a 1j because the 7m's blow head gaskets like crazy and + the 1jzgte is more reliable since its a stock turbo motor and the block can hold up to 650hp without needing to be upgraded.

all a 7m needs is a mhg and arp head studs and the hg problem is gone. as for a 500rwhp 1j, you need a stock 1j, id change the hg and install arp studs to be safe, 550 2j injectors, bosch 044 fuel pump, ss turbo mani(ebay), a s362 turbo or larger(ill be buying a s366 for my 7m after i sell my gt4082), 3in dp and exhaust, fmic, external wastegate, standalone(megasquirt is awesome), good clutch, r154 trans, and a good tune! there are people with 700rwhp on stock 1j internals. a friend of mine dynoed ~540rwhp on stock internals with a mines ecu/safc2 and 550's on a pt6265 turbo in his 84 supra. he is building the motor and swapping to a th400 setup i beleive, dont think its done yet though. bone stock internals. i think he was on stock hg and headbolts as well.

Hmmm never heard of it before looks interesting did you have any quirks with the unit you were running, things you wished it had or things you felt it needed?

Haven't found any quirks yet, but then, I haven't tried starting it yet! I'm still out due to a shoulder surgery back in jan.

There is nothing this unit needs, there are enough extra inputs\outputs to do anything you would feasibly want to do. I can put you in touch with a good friend of mine who built my unit if you're interested.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't found any quirks yet, but then, I haven't tried starting it yet! I'm still out due to a shoulder surgery back in jan.

There is nothing this unit needs, there are enough extra inputs\outputs to do anything you would feasibly want to do. I can put you in touch with a good friend of mine who built my unit if you're interested.

It started up this weekend, running VEMS, and all in all it was MUCH less of a pain in the ass than MS was to setup. Have not found any quirks, in fact, VEMSTune is a much better program than MegaTune. I strongly recommend it.

It started up this weekend, running VEMS, and all in all it was MUCH less of a pain in the ass than MS was to setup. Have not found any quirks, in fact, VEMSTune is a much better program than MegaTune. I strongly recommend it.

Sweet deal so how much did the whole VEMS setup cost you? How/who did you have to tune it?

• 4 weeks later...

There is a lot of bad/ misleading information on this thread. I see a lot of stuff being thrown around here and a lot of it doesnt make sense, much less a good argument for why a 7m is better than a 1jz or vice versa. Id read some Supraforums threads. there were TONS of debates about these engines years ago. There are also a whole lot of people, on here as well as there, that like to talk about things they have never seen or touched. Keep in mind a lot of 1jz nay sayers have never owned one, same for 7m ,and then theres the guys who read some things, make up their minds, and have never owned or worked on either one. They form an opinion because they had a "friend" who did this and whatever. Before making this sort of decision, your going to want to find much better info than whats in this thread.. just my .02