HybridZ

Quick question on gas tank swap.

I am currently in the process of swapping an L28 into my 260Z and I'm keeping the fuel injection off the 280Z. I've searched around several forums and found threads that say I do have to swap the gas tank and some that don't mention it at all. Can anybody tell me for sure if I need to put a '75/'76 gas tank in my car for this to work or if bigger fuel lines will be good enough?

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. The hard tank pickup line on the 260z is to small to attach to the inlet on the fuel pump. You could swap a 75/76 and get the bigger feed line, or I'm going to use a 90 degree fitting with the appropriate sized barb in place of the drain plug.

Going from carb to efi you need to address the fuel tank somehow. A carb uses its fuel bowl(s) as a buffer for temporary loss of fuel flow. Like when you are low on gas and go around a corner. An efi system doesnt have a buffer, it need constant fuel supply so efi tanks are usually baffled to disrupt fuel sloshing and swinging around in the tank.

Guest Rolling Parts

The '75 tank takes a LOT of work (at least mine did) to swap into an early 260Z.

If I was doing it again there is no way I'd do a complete tank swap.

All you really need is a small reservoir added prior to the EFI pump to ensure that it does not loose fuel in a turn. I'd find a quart sized cylinder and add a little foam-baffle material from a hot rod shop instead of retrofitting a whole tank just to do the same....

EDIT:

I just stumbled across a thread on making a small surge tank here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=95345

Guest Rolling Parts
An EFI tank will also have a return line, I am not sure if a carburetor tank will have one or not. Can anyone shed some light on this?

The 260Z does. That's WHY I'd never do a full tank swap again...

• 2 months later...
I'm in the process of doing the same thing. The hard tank pickup line on the 260z is to small to attach to the inlet on the fuel pump. You could swap a 75/76 and get the bigger feed line, or I'm going to use a 90 degree fitting with the appropriate sized barb in place of the drain plug.

If you're going to put this on the street I'd check with a state inspector. That bung off the bottom of your tank may not be legal. Even if it is I wouldn't want a fuel line exiting the bottom. It seems like a huge potential fire risk to me. Maybe that's just my age speaking. Just a thought.

If you're going to put this on the street I'd check with a state inspector. That bung off the bottom of your tank may not be legal. Even if it is I wouldn't want a fuel line exiting the bottom. It seems like a huge potential fire risk to me. Maybe that's just my age speaking. Just a thought.

I can see where your coming from, but the line is far from the ground and is hugging the bottom of my tank. You cant even see the line unless your laying on the ground looking for it. The way i see it, its basicly the same as using a sump with exposed lines.

As for the Inspector, here in "good ole" Tennessee you can get away with about anything. You would be supprised what is on the roads around where i live!

Ive put about 2000 miles on the car with this setup and no problems so far. It still gets fuel around the curvies with a half of a tank, so overall im satisfied