HybridZ

CJBrian's V8 71 240Z

OMG, i wish i had my Z like this. I cant find a body shop with the ballz to do such work here in my city, or the shops i have visited fear early datsuns because of the work involved. My Z is only a shell at this moment too.

(sorry for my engrish)

Your english is good. Actually my z has only blasted and primed no body work done yet. Im doing the metal work my self and having a shop do the finish body work and paint.

• 1 month later...

Looking good so far. Question for you. You welded in the "Bad Dog" frame rails, do those go over/replace the factory subframe connectors? I have some pretty serious rust issues in my floorpans right there where the subframes end in floorpan. Those appear to go the full length of the body so I'm wondering if I can just cut out the rotten floorpans and subframes in mine, weld in flat sheet for the floorpans and replace the original subframes with those.

Also, what gauge sheetmetal did you use for the rear deck lid? I have to do the same thing on mine. Any tips?

Still kind of new to the resto part of these cars so I'm just trying to come up with a plan of attack.

Looking good so far. Question for you. You welded in the "Bad Dog" frame rails, do those go over/replace the factory subframe connectors? I have some pretty serious rust issues in my floorpans right there where the subframes end in floorpan. Those appear to go the full length of the body so I'm wondering if I can just cut out the rotten floorpans and subframes in mine, weld in flat sheet for the floorpans and replace the original subframes with those.

Also, what gauge sheetmetal did you use for the rear deck lid? I have to do the same thing on mine. Any tips?

Still kind of new to the resto part of these cars so I'm just trying to come up with a plan of attack.

Thanks. The Bad Dogs can be used to cap the stock rails or used as replacements. My floors were good so I used them as caps. You can buy the front or rear sections individually or buy both to have front to rear bracing. I have seen many guys replace the floors and use the bad dogs as replacements. For the rear deck lid area I used the MSA patch panel and made my own panels for the taillight panel out of 16 gauge sheet metal.

My tip is wear the right safety gear!

SNC00443.jpg

Thanks. The Bad Dogs can be used to cap the stock rails or used as replacements. My floors were good so I used them as caps. You can buy the front or rear sections individually or buy both to have front to rear bracing. I have seen many guys replace the floors and use the bad dogs as replacements. For the rear deck lid area I used the MSA patch panel and made my own panels for the taillight panel out of 16 gauge sheet metal.

My tip is wear the right safety gear!

SNC00443.jpg

Thanks, I'll look into those. As for being careful, I got you beat and have the scar to prove it.

• 3 years later...

Just got the door guides and hinges back for my machinist friend. They came out awesome.He machined 2 different style guides.2010-11-20_22-56-02_629.jpgAlso made new bushings and pins for all 4 hinges.2010-11-20_22-57-42_420.jpg

Hey bud I've been having trouble finding pins and bushings for my hinges. The used hinges are very pricey these days. How much did your friend charge you to get those bushings and pins done?