HybridZ

71 240z roller, to buy or not [long]

I came across this 1971 240z that has been sitting since 2002.

Before I describe , i don't have any pictures, but hopefully my description will be good enough for some recommendations.

The car was advertised as a 1973 but the ID plate is stamped 2/71. The inside is completely thrashed. The only thing that might be saved is the console and that is broken in the upper right corner. Dash is cracked, has the alt, speedo,clock. Other gauges are missing. The door panels were redone in fabric but the top part are really faded. They have holes for speakers. The seats will have to be tossed as they are water logged, filthy and stink.

Exterior:

The car was originally orange but is now faded and oxidized. The drivers side door is ok, has the glass and door handle. Passenger side is primed, missing the door handle but has the glass. The windshield and rear hatch glass look good, the hood has metal louvers on it but is in good condition. Rear bumper is there but the rubber is mostly gone, it is straight and could be redone. The front bumper is gone but there is a front spoiler. The turn signals and canards are in good condition. All lights are there and in good condition.

The engine is there. the car has a 5 speed in it but don't know what it came from. The owner says it does run but needs a clutch as it slips.

Last but not least and most important there is no rust. The hatch area is free of any rust with the paint in the corners just starting to peel. There are 3 spots approx 3-5" of surface rust at the battery tray. The tray itself is free if any rust. The car is on blocks so I could see all the wheel wells, again no rust,no rust on the firewall, no rust in spare tire area. There

appears to be surface rust on the cross members. Even though it was on blocks I couldn't get under the car to check the floor boards but from what I could observe they were solid as where the frame rails.

So what is this car worth? The seller says it will run with a new clutch. Does this make it worth more? Is there anyone here who would want to buy it?

Thanks for looking.

If it is a solid as you say it is. Its worth getting. Wheels are a dime a dozen ( I have 3 sets for sale) Clutches are cheap. Make sure the title matches the vins. The biggest thing to look for on these cars are rust. A good shell is better than a running rusty one. Motors are a dime a dozen (I have 2 for sale.) Interior is not a big deal that is easy to replace. A shell is harder

I agree with blackice280zxt, the most important thing is to have a shell as close to rust free as possible; that is the foundation after all. Whether or not it is worth $1200 is entirely up to the person that will, or won't, pay that. I personally would offer $800, considering what you have described.

So true...up here a $1200 rust free shell is a hell of a deal. The price is not as important as the condition of the goods. A perfect $1200 shell may save you thousands in the long run.

I agree with blackice280zxt, the most important thing is to have a shell as close to rust free as possible; that is the foundation after all. Whether or not it is worth $1200 is entirely up to the person that will, or won't, pay that. I personally would offer $800, considering what you have described.

If the seats are wet, How is it the car is not wet inside.??? If it is from humidity, then it may have been covered in sealed plastic, That can kill a brand new car in months.

If you are serious about rebuilding the thing then you will need look the thing over carefully. Lucky for you the interior is already trashed, so it is easy to remove parts to see what's behind. Bring a stiff brush and a shop vac to reveal the floor problems. You also need to figure out if it's truely straight or not.