HybridZ

Working out a plan

I just bought a 73 240z. I'm working out a plan on things I might want to change and I'd appreciate comments and helpful suggestions/criticism.

Eventually I'd like to change several things... f54 block with a p90 head, better brakes, maybe coilovers. I'll give the carbs a chance to see how comfortable I am with them but efi/turbo is definitely something I'll consider in the future. For now though I'm thinking of the short term changes I'd like to make.

1. Ignition system. The points have got to go. I'm thinking of buying a 280zx distributor. After looking at prices for the parts needed to change over it seems like buying a new distributor is comparable in price and time to piecing together the used parts and it eliminates any rebuild/bushing replacement work.

2. Upgrade the electrical/charging system. That seems like a pretty straightforward job so I think I'm set on that.

3. It has Weber triples. I'm not sure yet but I think I'd rather have SU's just for the simplicity/reliability. What am I going to need besides the carbs? I'm guessing intake and linkage at the very least. Any suggestions on what I'll need or what is best would be great.

Wrong forum or bad questions? I know it's not my breath since I just brushed my teeth :)

I've been lurking, searching, and reading here and on personal sites so I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to do and why it seems like a good idea but comments, opinions, and constructive criticism are welcome.

Well for starters...

1) getting a new distributor would alleviate some problems found when buying used or worn parts, and you could be assured that it's more likely to work than something that is used and from someone trying to make a sale, However we do have some trustworthy individuals here.

2) I have a 12Si alternator that is an upgrade with little modification to the standard hitachi alternators. It's a 94 amp or something from an 84 Camaro, and it's an original rebuilt Delco Remy casing, not the cheaper newers chinese made ones. It cools a lot better and has been internally rebuilt with all new parts and cleaned through and through. HOWEVER, it's at a friends house for him to sell it for me to Camaro guys... so Unless I visit him (2 hours away), I wouldn't have a chance to sell it to you. But if you search you could find some info regarding 12si and 10si alternator upgrades, or CS144 alternators too.

3) Scared of triple webbers? come on.

Hey Raff good to hear from you. I'm glad you agree on the new distributor idea since I was going to do it anyway :icon45: Those points are so gone.

I've shipped parts to Canada so I know it can be expensive. Probably best to buy local but I appreciate the thought.

Think I'm scared of Webers eh? I dunno. I'm still waiting on the damned car to get here so I'm going on hearsay about the Webers. I've heard they are temperamental and use a lot of gas. I'm not crazy about carbs in the first place. I've read about the SU's in early z's and they seem almost foolproof.

I like foolproof ;) I don't think I posted this on z31p but I did some mechanical work and minor restoration on a '66 Mustang to make a few extra bucks. The owner wanted me to rebuild a Holly 4v for him. He gave me the 140 someodd piece rebuild kit and I said uh uh I think you need a new carb or a real mechanic.

I'll see about the carbs after I have the car a while but reliability and drivability is important. I don't want to be fiddling w/ three carbs all the time. I'm still researching but I'm assuming that if the Webers go the intake manifold goes too? Surely a triple carb setup has an aftermarket intake manifold? I'm trying to figure out what I'll need for SU's.

EFI and turbo sound good but I don't think I'm ready to get into another project just yet. I just want to get in and drive. Maybe later I'll run across a turbo engine I can rebuild leisurely. That way I can drive the car as is while I build the turbo motor.

Hey jmh. That's a great site. I wish the owner would change the open in new window code because I get to reading and before I know it I've got about 10 windows open ;)

This site has been a big help too http://datsunzgarage.com/ along with a few others I've run across. And the FAQ and stickies here are great. I'm mostly going to lay back and get to know the board and my car. It's tougher than I thought being a newguy after years on other boards. A whole new perspective.

Keep the webers. Nothing sounds like triple webbers sucking air at full throttle. I've got an LS1 Z now but I still miss the sound of the triples! I used to daily drive my Z with the webers. Once they are set up correctly they gave me no problems for the 5 or 6 years I daily drove the car.

Good luck with your project.

Keep the webers. Nothing sounds like triple webbers sucking air at full throttle. I've got an LS1 Z now but I still miss the sound of the triples! I used to daily drive my Z with the webers. Once they are set up correctly they gave me no problems for the 5 or 6 years I daily drove the car.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks Mark I'll keep that option open. You have any Weber tuning tips you want to share?

you should definitely keep the triples ;) Those are great carbs with good performance and noise. They should not make your gas mileage worse than any other carbs if they are setup correctly.

There's a post it on L6 section with tons of info. I started from scratch with mine and now there are almost fully tuned, only by me. it has been very rewarding, I'm considered by others like a carb tuner now :mrgreen: (even if I'm far from being one!)

Think I'm scared of Webers eh? I dunno. I'm still waiting on the damned car to get here so I'm going on hearsay about the Webers. I've heard they are temperamental and use a lot of gas. I'm not crazy about carbs in the first place. I've read about the SU's in early z's and they seem almost foolproof.

I like foolproof ;) I don't think I posted this on z31p but I did some mechanical work and minor restoration on a '66 Mustang to make a few extra bucks. The owner wanted me to rebuild a Holly 4v for him. He gave me the 140 someodd piece rebuild kit and I said uh uh I think you need a new carb or a real mechanic.

I'll see about the carbs after I have the car a while but reliability and drivability is important. I don't want to be fiddling w/ three carbs all the time. I'm still researching but I'm assuming that if the Webers go the intake manifold goes too? Surely a triple carb setup has an aftermarket intake manifold? I'm trying to figure out what I'll need for SU's.

Hey Mike, I'm pretty sure we sent you a radio out of the 84 ae z31 we had last christmas?

In any case, don't worry about the webers. I have a set of 45mm on my 280z and theyre great. I daily drove it this year 2 hours every day and the only problems I ever had were (surprise!) with the ignition system, which was until recently a dual point distributor. As for tuning webers, just get a synchrometer like what they use on VW's (not a unisyn) and that makes balancing easy. You shouldn't have to re-tune them entirely unless they are badly jetted for the current engine, and once they are balanced they usually stay that way until you decide to fiddle with something else.

In any case, I vote keep them! yeah they're a little intimidating at first, and yeah they use a bit more gas, but thats just cause you can't keep your foot off the pedal. :mrgreen:

PM me if you need the weber manual.. I think I have it kicking around here somewhere.

Cheers,

Rob

you should definitely keep the triples ;) Those are great carbs with good performance and noise. They should not make your gas mileage worse than any other carbs if they are setup correctly.

There's a post it on L6 section with tons of info. I started from scratch with mine and now there are almost fully tuned, only by me. it has been very rewarding, I'm considered by others like a carb tuner now :mrgreen: (even if I'm far from being one!)

Hey Matt. The Webers are cool but I'm a lot more comfortable with EFI so I'll be changing it at some point.

That isn't going to happen soon though so I'll check out those posts.

Skib... thanks for the info. A smallish turbo is what I was thinking for the future but I didn't realize the compression would be that low. 7:1 is not going to do it. Looks like I need to do more research.

Rob you have me confused with someone else on the AE radio. I haven't had a chance to play with the car much yet. The carbs might not be as bad as I think. Probably more an old dog new tricks thing. I don't really want to turn this into a project but if an opportunity to pick up an L28et comes up I'm pretty sure I'd take it. I'm not looking to build another beast but I'd like a little more power than the car has now.

I appreciate all the good words.

Oh and the wheels are 15" BBS two piece.