HybridZ

headroom in Z cars?

boogalou1

Welcome to 'safety in non-accelerated body parts'...

Accident surveys show that closeness/proximity to bodily parts to a soft surface will lessen the impact during a collision. Volvo for years showed rolled up cardboard in their door panels so when someone's knee or elbow hit, it crushed the tube and lessened the blow. This is why the panels now uselessly bulge toward and irritatingly rub every bodily part on you...EVEN in a Lincoln Town Car!

I am amazed that my 240 can have me flopping around like I do, free and unrestrained, but I get into todays cars that are BIGGER, yet SMALLER inside at the same time. Maddening. not necesarily related to heqad room, but generally room in the interior in general. Sound deadening and sunroofs cut out the other room, damnit!

Accident surveys show that closeness/proximity to bodily parts to a soft surface will lessen the impact during a collision. Volvo for years showed rolled up cardboard in their door panels so when someone's knee or elbow hit, it crushed the tube and lessened the blow. This is why the panels now uselessly bulge toward and irritatingly rub every bodily part on you...EVEN in a Lincoln Town Car!

I am amazed that my 240 can have me flopping around like I do, free and unrestrained, but I get into todays cars that are BIGGER, yet SMALLER inside at the same time. Maddening. not necesarily related to heqad room, but generally room in the interior in general. Sound deadening and sunroofs cut out the other room, damnit!

Well that would explain why my moms 2000 A4, as well as an ~07 A4 are both way more cramped than my moms tiny little '92 Jetta.

I never thought about that. I have read on other boards that the 240Z has plenty of room for tall people so it makes sense. I've also heard that the 280Z has more interior room then the 280zx, but maybe it's just the way the inside is laid out. I've also sat in a 370Z and was pleasantly surprised by how much room I had.

I'm 6'3".

With racing seats and custom brackets in some of my Z's I've had. It's possible to get low enough that it's hard to see over the dash. lol.

Certainly leg room is more of an issue, as I have the seat back all the way in any car I drive.

In this vid my friends are in the car with NO SEATS. lol

The driver is 6'5" and passenger about 5'10". So a tall seat will really limit your head room. Although both of them are probably sitting on the hump behind where the seat would go.

I'm 6'7" tall, 220lbs, with a 38" inseam. There are only two Z's that I can drive, and they are the 240Z, of which I own one, and the Z31. Strangely, even though it's based on the same platform as the 240Z, I run into problems in the 280Z because I can't fit my knee between the door handle and the steering wheel when I try to operate the clutch.

As for the rest of the Z line-up... forget it! I've sat in all of them, and most of them I couldn't drive even if you put a gun to my head. I'd need a triple-jointed leg to get my foot on the gas pedal. It was a real let-down when I finally got a chance to sit in a 370Z. It's the first new Z that I could afford, and would actually want to own, but again, I don't think I could drive it to save my life. And yet, if you park a 240Z next to a 370Z, the 370 looks massive by comparison. I'm sure some of it has to do with safety, like TonyD says, but part of it also has to do with the styling department and the fact that they just don't take into account the 5% of the population that are at the far ends of the scale.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

• 2 weeks later...