HybridZ

Stock engine to turbo, do I need a 5 speed transmission out of a turbo car?

nyshred

Hey guys,

First and foremost let me apologize for not searching all I can on this topic. I know it has been discussed, but I am in a pickle here. My computer blew up and I got a new one and it blew up and I sent it back, so I'm paying 20 cents a minute for internet here, and I have an opportunity to acquire a 83 datsun 280zx stock not turbo, with a 5 speed trans. I have always wanted to convert my 280zxt auto to a manual 5 speed. My turbo car is mostly stock. Custom down pipe s shaped is the only mod made so far, and I'm wondering if the 5 speed stock trans will hold the torque from the turbo motor without any problem or if I need a turbo 5 speed trans. Please let me apologize again for not searching enough, any help would be appreciated. I have to make a decision on this car tommorrow, and I have been out of work for a minute now, so I can't afford to spend a fortune on the internet right now. My motor is messed up (blown head gasket), in the 280zxt so I was going to make the non turbo motor a turbo and swap the manual 5 speed into my car while i'm at it. Please let me know if this is possible. Thank you guys in advance, I usually can search and know the rules, so please link me to the answers or give me some feedback. Hope to be back on the road soon, and if I get this car I will be parting it out so i'll let you guys know what's up with parts for you if you let me know if I should get it to do what I want to do. Thanks again!

My motor is messed up (blown head gasket), in the 280zxt so I was going to make the non turbo motor a turbo and swap the manual 5 speed into my car while i'm at it.

What year is the motor and transmission? I have trouble reading huge blocks of text like that but I don't think you said what the new motor was out of.

I am using an F54 Block [The same as the Turbo motors] and I'm using a 1978 280Z 5 Speed. [What my stock 78 came with]

Any of the 5 Speeds should bolt up, I think the issue is if you have a Borg Warner T5 [My Z31 has one, you need to search to confirm the S130 Turbos do] there is an issue with the driveshaft.

I have never done this myself so you'll need to do some research on it.

Best of luck, just go buy a laptop and mooch off a coffee shop's free wifi or something :P $0.20 a minute?? Sheesh.

*edit* Just read this sentence, maybe you shouldn't be drinking more coffee :lmao:

and if I get this car I will be parting it out so i'll let you guys know what's up with parts for you if you let me know if I should get it to do what I want to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend a borg 5 sp. In all the years I have been driving Nissans, the manual trans is the biggest failure. Nissan used the Borg T5 for a reason. Yes the drivline will need to be replaced with the T5 as it is different.Also,the T5 driveline shaft diameter is larger for the added torque. Plus, you can get a short throw shifter from B&M or Hurst for the T5. Years to look for are 82-83 S130 turbo.

yes any 5 speed will work for sure, i have gone through 3 of them from constant abuse. they came out of a 80, 81, and the stock trans in my car was 79. non of which were the t5 as the turbo motor came out of an automatic. just dont get real power shift happy and youll be fine. literally abusing mine every day any time the car is rolling i get a solid year out of each one. best $300 i ever spent (price of the turbo 2+2 i stripped to make my car, it was in a junk yard)

• 5 weeks later...

They will all fit. Swaped out the automatic on 81 turbo for a 81 n/a. I completely destoryed it. I rebuilt it twice. Then i got a 5 speed from a 82 n/a. It was night and day stronger. I use a fidanzza 10 lb flywheel. It helps faster shifting. I use the car mostly for drag racing. It's going on two years of racing and working great...