HybridZ

Anyone using ebay intake manifolds

ZT-R

The shop next door to mine used one. It fit OK but the throttle body it came with was way too big. Something like 100mm. It essentially made the throttle an on/off switch. I personally liked the way you could modulate the throttle with the factory ITB's on mine.

Brandon

I'm running that TB and intake setup on my RB25, Its a nice piece, it won't fit though in the S30 engine bay without mods. The angle in which the TB comes off will cause it to hit the fender...

n72604599_34809282_8841.jpg

You can see here the extra elbow I had welded up for it ...n72604599_36466335_3219.jpg

It works just fine the only thing that pissed me off a bit was you need to look around for the right TPS sensor ... as they have a differnt post in the center of shaft than stock. I think I ended up using a Q45 one? The other thing I have found and I am not sure where it is coming from is a small amount of coolant will sometimes collect on the exterior casting in a pitted area after I beat on it .. nothing big but really inspect your piece when you get it .

Here's how it looks all done

n72604599_39350199_941.jpg

You won't find the throttle too touchy, I ran it without the idle air controller etc for two summers and its just fine, idles a bit high. There are no issues with modulation either, some will tell you otherwise but I don't find it. My brother has a 280z with tripple 45's and its no worse or better to drive.

Good luck,

Chris Crombie

Here's how it looks all done

n72604599_39350199_941.jpg

You won't find the throttle too touchy, I ran it without the idle air controller etc for two summers and its just fine, idles a bit high. There are no issues with modulation either, some will tell you otherwise but I don't find it. My brother has a 280z with tripple 45's and its no worse or better to drive.

Good luck,

Chris Crombie

Which exhaust manifold are you running?

My brother has a 280z with tripple 45's and its no worse or better to drive.

My wife says my Triple 44's are 'like an on-off-switch' though the same triples were on her Fairlady for years. When you add a turbo that enhances down low breathing appreciably, the off-idle modulation is an issue. I'm not saying I don't have a problem with it, but to say that the modulation is just not an issue is not really truthful. It's touchy, touchy as hell with 44's and a blower. Those same 44s without the blower weren't nearly as responsive at tip-in.

And that was AFTER the conversion to throttle cable actuation which made tip-in much more managable!

It's like a Mustang with a 3.8V6 and one with the V8. Tip in on the 3.8 is atrocious, hard to start it wihout jumping (with a slushbox). The V8 is more managable as it has a smaller body. But after the first car length the V8 pulls the jump you got with the same throttle opening of the V6, without the initial jump you owuld think the V6 was a powerhouse compared to the V8. Tip in enhances perceived power, but doesn't do much otherwise. You can see the effects of sizing looking at Ford products like the Explorer. HUGE throttle body on the same size engine as smaller vehicles. But gearing and mass of the body will mask the tip-in. What it does give you is the feeling the truck is 'jumping' from a start---like it really has power. Due to the mass, it's dampened. Put that same throttle body on a Mustang, and you find it really hard to take off without at least chirping the tires, if not outright noticably squealing... No weight and high gears to take away that airflow rush bump in torque output.

Those e-bay manifolds are similar tothe Trust Greddy marketed unit. My bud cut the front of his to reposition the TB better, and used (as I recall) a Q45 TB on it. No clearancing necessary. The weld shop made it invisible. Looked stock (or at least 'Greddy Stock'!)

I sure imagine that turbo'd carbs would be a whole new beast in itself. I guess what I really am trying to say is that the drivablity of a lightly built RB with the 90mm is quite manageable, its not bad at all. The setup has a grabbier clutch and a lightend flywheel too.. My brother says the red car with the RB is way touchyier than his carbed 280, which I feel is stiff. So as Tony says its all what your used to. Im not a big V8 guys so most of my experince is on this Z and my brothers car, so I can`t comment on the fords.

Welding the manifold would have been a much nicer and more permant solution compared to the angle piece I had made up. I figure if I change engines I can easily sell the manifold to both skyline guys (there are lots in Canada) and to the Z guys, without painting myself into a corner.

As Tony says there are a couple differnt ones available the JUN style which I have(probably the only thing they copied was the exterior look! ), then there is the Greddy style which is a bit differnt. People have had good luck with both types. Seeing as a "real" JUN costs $2000+ and a GReddy costs 1000$ +, these are not bad deals for the money. Oh and I think RIPS makes somthing similar too.. It would probably be awesome but costs $$ The Q45 TB`s work just great too, which is another option.

I think though the nicest thing about any of these manifolds is getting rid of the darn stock manifold which is a bit of an anoyance to plumb. So for that reason alone its worth tidying up the engine bay.

As for the exhaust manifold I am running a el-cheap-o SS autochrome, I paid about 150$ for it and it works great, no boost creep or cracking at all. The only issue was the holes were incorrectly spaced, however half an hour with a die grinder fixed em up ! You may have an issue if you are running a larger turbo though as the flange needs to be repositioned in some cases, which is an hour job with a sawzall and welder. I figure I can go through 10 of these manifolds before I reach the cost of some of the big $ units.

Cheers

Chris Crombie

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been around a few cars with those greddy knock offs and some real greddys. The one you posted a link to actually looked pretty decent in person, No joke smoother casting then a greddy in and out, only problem was the coolant pipe didn't line up to well with the bolts holes under the manifold.

Another type I saw was HORRIBLE which literally had casting flaking off the damn manifold, looks like the one you posted a link to but uglier... just make sure they are sending you something that looks like the pic in the ebay auction and not the even worse knockoff lol.

I've been around a few cars with those greddy knock offs and some real greddys. The one you posted a link to actually looked pretty decent in person, No joke smoother casting then a greddy in and out, only problem was the coolant pipe didn't line up to well with the bolts holes under the manifold.

Another type I saw was HORRIBLE which literally had casting flaking off the damn manifold, looks like the one you posted a link to but uglier... just make sure they are sending you something that looks like the pic in the ebay auction and not the even worse knockoff lol.

o i plan on calling the dealer before they ship it so.......i don't get screwed on it i've read alot and i'm really thinking this one is the one to get the place i'm buying from has a lifetime warranty to can i really go wrong....

You mean like this eBay piece of crap... :lmao:

4247186660_16a839f715.jpg

• 10 months later...

GTR RB26DETT "RB26" Intake manifolds are very different from RB25 manifolds

They do not interchange