HybridZ

Oil Cooler vs Oil-Water Heat Exchangers

S30TRBO

I was flipping through Modified Magazine at the store and came across an article talking about Laminova Heat Exchangers.

The Laminova heat exchanger

Laminova is an international company with a world patent on heat exchangers. The heat exchangers offer both maximum heat transfer and low pressure drop' date=' something not before possible. The Laminova heat exchangers are custom designed. We cooperate closely with designers and OEM-manufacturers world wide.

Laminova is approved according to ISO/TS16949:2002

The small and flexible package is used for both cooling and heating applications in many different motor vehicles. No separate oil circuit termostat is needed.

[b']Benefits[/b]

• Maximum heat transfer

• Low pressure drop

• Superior heat dissipation

• Maximum packaging flexibility

• Light weight aluminium design

• Cross-over leak proof design is possible

• Protected installation for increased safety

• 100% recyclable

Safety

- No corrosion

The use of only pure aluminium eliminates internal, electrolytic corrosion.

- No fouling

Large passages and smooth flow patterns make it extremely tolerant to dirty water.

-No leakage

Solid aluminium, O-ring seals and no soldering give highest leakage protection.

Weight and space

-Weight

The light aluminium cast, means a substantial weight reduction, compared to other materials. The piping can be reduced to a minimum. Little space is needed because of the cylindrical shape and the large range of fittings.

Applications

• Power steering cooling

• Engine oil cooling

• Diesel fuel cooling

• Hydraulic Systems

• Transmission oil cooling

• Intercoolers

Installation

- Flexibility

The heat exchanger allows freedom in installation.

- Compact installation

The combined engine and transmission oil heat exchanger with integrated filters can be installed separately from the engine. A compact installation is easy to do.

The heat exchanger

The heat exchanger consists of a housing and a core with fins, 0.2 millimeter thick. The distance between them is 0.3 millimeter. Inside the heat exchanger is a core which has an almost infinite number of interconnected laminar flow coolers. The area is about five times larger than a conventional heat exchanger of the same dimensions.

Customization

The customized cast housing design, separate or integrated with other components, is a Laminova speciality. The assembly is done without soldering. All connections are sealed with O-rings.

Heat dissipation

The Laminova design means an ability to tune the coolant flow pattern for maximizing heat dissipation.

Pressure drop

The laminar flow means low pressure drop. A unique feature is that the large oil flow can be easily divided internally into several parallel flows, whereby pressure drop is kept extremely low.

Here is the magazine article online: http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-0912-laminova-heat-exchanger/index.html

I currently have an air-oil cooler in place now. I was looking for a way to clean up the engine bay and once I go turbo to give me more room for the front mount intercooler.

I know heat exchangers have been around forever, like Accusump, Aeroquip to name a few and all probably have their own pros and cons. I am not set on one or another.

Let's discuss..... tell me your experience, thoughts and opinion to stay with what I have or to go with one of these? This is for street car with some occasional drag strip and auto cross use.

Thanks,

After several seasons of chasing summer overheating problems on my track car, I removed my front mounted Setrab oil cooler and replaced it with a C&R oil to water heat exchanger. I mounted the new piece on the right side of the engine below the spark plugs for ease of plumbing and it has helped to lower the coolant temperatures considerably and the oil temperature has stayed about the same. By removing the oil cooler, that had been mounted between the intercooler and the radiator, the incoming air has one less thing to pass through, and subsequently now keeps things a bit cooler.

Oil/Water as primary, which will bring it down to X temperature, and then your original Air/Oil unit mounted as a supplemental to trim another couple of degrees off of it...all controlled with an Oilstat to keep the oil temperature constant.

You can always cover excess cooler, but if you don't have enough, yer screwed!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll run the oil cooler until the I/C is ready to go in then I'll decide.

The passenger side straight heater line near the oil sandwich plate would be ideal for an exchanger, there is plenty of room on that side...