HybridZ

How much to weld in new floor pans and frame rails

If i get a shop space in the future (working on it currently) I think at that price(1000+), I rather buy a decent used welder, practice for a few weeks, then slowly and carefully do the job myself. The only thing im really worried about is the frame rails. I know on the 280's you can weld right over but, with the 240's do you remove the stock rails? how? cut em out? thats the only part of the process that truely worries me.

Please take pics of your before and after $400 floor replacement job. What work do you have to do before this guy will do it for $400? Do you have to supply the floors and rails? Is he using the stock seating mounts?

The interior must go and the floor should be exposed. Yes I'm also replacing the rails. It's not just some guy in a garage, this is a large shop.

Ohh God. I had a guy bring an S30 to me with this issue. He had the frame rails and pans, I only needed to take his completely assembled, drivable S-30 and install the pans.

I estimated ~$1000 and cringed at the thought that I was not going to make much money for my time on this job. This included reassembling and repainting the floor areas, to make his car completely assembled again.

Well... My fears were abated. Apparently this fella got the pans installed by a local muffler shop for $150 and thinks their work was great.

I have absolutely no problems with people shopping around. The thing I have come to learn is that people's definition of doing something correctly is a vast and wide. If I get another request, I will probably estimate even more money just so I can feel comfortable about making it worth my time.

I'm doing my homework :2thumbs:

I'm doing a set for a customer now and it's a pretty big job-especially for a first timer. Replacement pans need a lot of persuasion to fit, even the good ones from Zed Findings. Plus the work is all back braking, knee scuffing, eye contaiminating, knuckle busting work that body shops don't make any money on. I will probably have 25 hours a side in on this car, but I don't move fast or slow, there is just that much work. If you haven't done this kind of work before(sheet metal fab and welding) this job will be a hand full. Look at the 2 panels side by side and see how much you have to form them. I think between 1000$ and 1500$ is a good estimate for panels that look at fit stock.

The other good thing is that most of it gets covered up:)

Gregs Z 014_thumb.JPG

Gregs Z 017_thumb.JPG

Gregs Z 013_thumb.JPG

Gregs Z 012_thumb.JPG

Santa classic 2009 017_thumb.JPG

Madkaw,

What are you using to hole the floor pan to the car (Asking about those protruding bolt/magnet looking things).

Cheers.

their called "clecos" People use them in place of rivets when mocking up panels and such, He most likely welded the holes closed though.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Clecos-Pack-of-10,4718.html

I'm going to open up a shop doing work like this. I can weld/know what I'm doing. I never realized my skill was of such value. HMMM... LOL, Justin, you should get in on my business. Oh and MIG welding is fine, TIG is not necessarily stronger, neater and more precise than MIG.

I have a restoration guy in town that does some "under the table" side work when not busy. He told me to replace both driver and passenger floors cut the bent in frame rails pull them out reweld them, then weld heavier duty uchannel steel over them for $500. That also includes repairing the lower inside quarter area where you can put your fist thru from the hatch. My exterior body work will be done at 50/50. Rusted quarter outsides and other spot repairs under the table but the paint job will be legit. Total cost will be about $3500-$4k

He told me 1 full day of work on floors and underside.

Edited by powershotnt
forgot time frame

Yeh those clecos can be a lifesaver on abig job like this. You can order them from any on line speed shop(jegs) and they are cheap. You can mock up the hole job with these to test fit and remove them as you weld around them. Then like he said, weld the holes shot. The small ones are only 1/8" holes.

Clecos are spring loaded. You use a tool that will compress the head of the cleco which will cause the tips to extend out of the bottom of the cleco. You insert the tip through the hole and release the tension on the tool. As the tips try to withdraw back into the body of the cleco they expand thus trapping the pieces together under some pretty strong spring tension.

I help my buddy with his airplane (long range tanks and some misc aero pieces) we used LOTS and LOTS of clecos to hold the pieces in place for riveting...very cool tool. When building a plane, the fuselage looks like a porcupine

To give you my perspective. 16yrs old never welded in my life. Had to replace the floors and reinforce/replace much of the rail, along with a battery tray, some of firewall , and a couple little things. Anyways, while you are at it you get a little weld happy lol.

Did it myself cause there was very expensive quotes:fmad::fmad:

Anyways, I bought the kit from MSA which to tell you the truth, it did not fit well, required a lot of cutting. Then paid to borrow my dads friends welder for a week. It is not fun work but after words its worth it. Welds were not pretty but nothing a little seem sealer and por-15 can't hide haahahaha.

Total cost (included recirculating saw, extra sheet metal, fee to rent, gas refill, floorpan kit): $ ~450. Could be done cheaper if you don't make mistakes like me and have some tools i didn't.

19342_thumb.attach

19343_thumb.attach

DCP_1194_thumb.JPG

As for being 16 and not welding, A mig welder is fairly easy to learn with practice. Find a friend that has one, or who's father has one that will loan it for free you just buy wire and gas. Then you get an old fridge side. Weld in as floor pans. time, a few materials. Done, you have floor pans for 150 or less maybe. I plan to do it on about a 50 dollar budget. Although I'm not doing a full replacement.

The frame rails will come out with whatever section of floor you take out. They are welded to the floor, so if the floor is bad-more likely the rails are bad-so rip them out any way you want, sawzall, cut-off wheel. Now if you are talking about the SEAT RAILS, then you need to get a spot weld cutter, or just cut the floor around them and methodically remove the floor metal from them so you can reinstall later.

Thank you!

The frame rails will come out with whatever section of floor you take out. They are welded to the floor, so if the floor is bad-more likely the rails are bad-so rip them out any way you want, sawzall, cut-off wheel. Now if you are talking about the SEAT RAILS, then you need to get a spot weld cutter, or just cut the floor around them and methodically remove the floor metal from them so you can reinstall later.