HybridZ

baby thoughts

vega

Which should I get for a child and future kid...  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which should I get for a child and future kid...

• Lexus IS300 2jzg-e w58 or auto
    • Infinity G35 6spd or auto

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CTS-V = LS2, I would love driving one and they look mean. [New one has a LSA :shock: but is pricey]

8131-2005-Cadillac-CTS-V.jpg

Yes Yes Yes!!! I'm finally winning Bob over :flamedevi

I thought of the CTS-v way out of my money power man- may as well buy a vette...

I forgot to update my thread on car options, but I ended up picking up a 2006 Volvo s60R.

4 door

very nice interior and sound system

decent room in the back

AWD

15psi of boost stock

huge Brembo brakes

under $23k, and a higher mileage 2004 can be found for half of that.

What's not to like?

I forgot to update my thread on car options, but I ended up picking up a 2006 Volvo s60R.

4 door

very nice interior and sound system

decent room in the back

AWD

15psi of boost stock

huge Brembo brakes

under $23k, and a higher mileage 2004 can be found for half of that.

What's not to like?

you must have lucked out some of them are great cars some of them haev tons of problems its kinda 50/50 with the more recent volvos- the Rs are neat though. but again there are two cars to pick not an other option.

If it's primarily a kid hauler you cant beat a minivan. I have five kids so ask me how I know. If you still want a fun car that can seat more than two then just pick whatever you want just make sure the carseat fits. JonM has good points that you dont think about until your there - backwards car seats are HUGE. Hell, I haul four in my SVT Focus and they they only mildly complain.

Cameron

IS300! Super reliable, great fun to drive, very good crash rating, and they can now be had easily under $10k. I've had mine for 5 years and I have had ZERO problems. Honestly. Though if you do get one, use the W55 (which is the stock manual trans), people on the IS forums frequently say the W58's gearing doesnt work with the IS, unless you change out the rear diff

Or a Volvo 850 turbo. Definitely a wolf in sheeps clothing. Im picking one up after im done with college for a DD, you can get a good example for under $5k. They are also incredibly reliable, some dont like the styling (I love boxy Volvos) but its a handsome car, not too bad to drive (iPd makes alot of great upgrades for it) and, its a Volvo, so you know its built like a tank if you were to ever get in a wreck

I owned a 2003 Infiniti G35 MT6 sedan for about 3 years, it was an oil consumer though. I really liked the car; around town it was peppy, out on the hiway it was a nice quiet smooth ride, it handled well in the curves also.

As it approached 100K miles I really started considering the oil issue and traded the car off as I didn't want a 3000lb paperweight in my driveway.

I'm surprised you had oil consumption issues. I had an '03 350Z for 5 years and didn't notice any abnormal oil consumption. I know some of the '05-'06 350Z's had a noticeable problem with that...but I didn't think the earlier VQ's did.

Man, don't be unhappy about the possibility of an automatic transmission. Believe me, they help in traffic when you turn around to smack the kids--you just steer with your knees or feet and deal with the situation in back. Again, if you openly consider an AT, you have many more options in vehicles. Besides, they are better for street drag racing anyway.

OK, Jon and some others mentioned the minivan. The ONLY reason we didn't go for it was that my wife didn't want to drive one. That left going for a gas-sucking SUV and we ended up with a Suburban. It is a GREAT truck. Very reliable, albeit rather slow, and comfy, capable, and good for towing and highway cruising. It's equipped with VDS (vague directional steering) and should have a 454 instead of a 350. All in all though, I am pleased with the truck.

The biggest thing not mentioned is that your cars will absolutely take a beating from the kids. Milk and drinks get spilled, crumbs get into the upholstery, crayons melt into the floormats, boogers and snot get wiped into the seatbelts--that kind of thing. Are you and your wife the anal-retentive type that enjoy things being just so? If that is the case, get the vasectomy now to make it simpler. My gosh, dogs are neater than kids most of the time. Consider this: Your time and energy to clean up the messes go out the door, along with the money if you get your cars detailed on a regular basis, and your wife WILL succumb to feeding the kids in the car no matter whatever you say, unless you are the house-husband who stays home with the kids--then it's you who breaks the agreements with the wifey. There is a breaking point in every adult life about taking care of a 'nice' car you intended to buy for the kids...and that point is when you are coming home from a trip, you are tired, the wife is tired, and the kids are crying louder than you. Your patience and your wits come to an end and you say, "screw this!" Ooops, sorry the tangent...back to my actual point: you may want to consider buying a car, truck, or minivan that you understand will get some abuse over the years. If you lead a normal life (most people do) it happens, almost assuredly. I have considered bubble wrap for the younger ones while traveling, but I'm afraid I'll get branded as an abuser :D

Take my rant as tongue-in-cheek until you remember it five years from now :mrgreen: Buy something suitable for them when they are older and being cool actually means something. My $.02

Davy

The honda Odyssey is a great van. but i'm never sure if i spell it correctly.

Davy... I have seen soooo many nice cars destroyed by children. Think S55 AMG with holes in the leather in the back seats.... and mms stuffed in those holes.

Or even my mother's 68 chevelle, had just gotten the interior redone, and my cousin cuts the headliner with a pocket knife.

Dogs are so much neater, and its not weird to have them on a leash.

Joe