HybridZ

Vacaville Velo Rossa

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Something tells me you've been busy out enjoying the relatively mild summer we've had versus spending time in the new garage... I don't blame you. :-)

That said, I signed up for an autox at Sonoma for September 14th in order to give me a kick in the butt to sort my car out. Would be cool to see you at a cars and coffee with the Velo Rossa sometime.

14 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Something tells me you've been busy out enjoying the relatively mild summer we've had versus spending time in the new garage... I don't blame you. :-)

That said, I signed up for an autox at Sonoma for September 14th in order to give me a kick in the butt to sort my car out. Would be cool to see you at a cars and coffee with the Velo Rossa sometime.

Nice, the Trackmasters guys always put on a good event. I've been wanting to take my Z out to one but I need to sort some running issues which is probably just a clogged fuel filter...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 10:13 AM, Gollum said:

Not sure mild is the word I’d use for this summer. Triple digits most days on our side of town. 😳 Been building backyard structures when I could stand to work outside. 

Love to take the VR to some events, but she’s still not ready. Plan is to finish my retaining wall this fall, stop working part time and spend my time finishing the car and watching our grandson👍

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well, a few things have happened since my last post.

1.  I finally pulled the plug completely.  I'm officially and completely retired.:mparty:

2.  I built an outdoor patio cover,  which means we finally have some shade for those triple digit temperature we get for weeks on end...

IMG_1020.jpeg.f0982b242e0b9d2c33c3094cee4a9d3d.jpeg

3.  and Christmas Village 2019 ( in 3D ) is finished.  It's so big we had to use two rooms this year.

IMG_1330.jpeg.768aec7ed8b6427fb573caf23d2479da.jpegIMG_1331.jpeg.4ca8d90ae7def4359cf1adff7530910c.jpeg 

With all that out of the way, I was finally able to begin making repairs to the VR.  I spent today removing the bonnet, cutting out the damaged fiberglass...

IMG_1328.jpeg.e672efbe56ca3dde56e1c8e012d59e4b.jpeg

and prepping the repair areas for mat and filler.  I'll be making new forms to rebuild the under hood extensions to the sugar scoops.

IMG_1329.jpeg.9e0009107fac3c2dca78525364399b86.jpeg

Damn it feels good to be working on this again!!!

Edited by Fauxre

• 1 month later...

Fiberglass repairs are coming along.

glassrepair1.jpeg.ea2888e564bc8b0305b5090564f9a7fe.jpeg

glassrepair2.jpeg.1892f1f82eff62447602d08ac065a9f6.jpeg

Got tired of sanding , so I pulled the dash and steering column to modify for the Saturn Vue electric power steering unit.

Thanks to all these threads:

https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/125428-electric-power-steering-100-1500/

https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/128956-electric-power-steering-information-compiled/?tab=comments#comment-1204303

https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/127807-saturn-electric-power-steering-in-a-datsun-280z/?tab=comments#comment-1194814

the bracket modifications and mounting process turned out to be relatively simple.  Everything has been mounted with no binding issues, although the lower column comes close to the small bock's shorty headers  and the lower u joint just barely clears the motor mount.  It's a game of millimeters.  I won't wire it up until I decide on custom dash options. With the heater/AC unit removed, there's a lot room to work with.

In the meantime, I've been learning some new tricks in GIMP.  The result is this copper color on my (pre-accident) VR. 

1487321645_VRcopper.jpg.d21c50a6a051691b62432f1a7da518fb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 6:00 PM, Fauxre said:

3.  and Christmas Village 2019 ( in 3D ) is finished.  It's so big we had to use two rooms this year.

IMG_1330.jpeg.768aec7ed8b6427fb573caf23d2479da.jpeg

Digging the village ski hill!

Nice composite work, too. What are you repairing on the bottom of those three scoops? Looks like some Everglass in there. It kind of looks like the composite cracked off further in and that's what you're replacing?