HybridZ

Does 280Z heater use vacuum lines?

TomoHawk

1978 280Z original everything.

I need to take apart the heater unit to fix the (defogger flap?) and I noticed some small hoses going into the bottom of the heater controls. Are these used for something, or can I pull those out?

Also, where is the defogger flap & can I get at it easily? Isit mechanical/cable operated?

I only want the heater & defogger to work; A/C is coming out.

All those hoses do serve functions--if al you want is heat and defog, then you can get rid of them as long as you bypass the vacuum operated water valve (I used a few inches of copper pipe and an elbow to replace mine with)

The heat/defog flap is at the very bottom of the heater box--cable operated (I believe it's on the driver's side), with a little linkage inside to open/close the other side

If you need em, I can take pics of my heater unit, since it's out of the car and sitting there still completely assembled

Jim

I may have mislead you.

thgere are 3 small-diameter (2-3mm) tubes going int o the bottom of the heater control unit. I can't tell yet, need a better look, but it might go to a valve assembly. I don't really know what one looks like.

No problem, guys--anytime

I'm nowhere near good enough to write a manual, this just all comes from the fact that I've owned 4 Zs over the last 12 years, and not a 1 of them ran when I got it--lots of learning curve keeping them on the road.

And since my project car is in approximately 1,875,475,789 pieces, it's easy to get pics of some items when people need them

Jim, that was amazing!

I think the non-A/C cars use far fewer vacuum hoses/diaphrams/devices. I've gone to the JY before in search of a non-A/C 280Z heater and controls assy in order to clean up and simplify things (I don't want the A/C anyhow), and I've found the factory non-A/C cars to be scarce. DAW

Jim, great post. I've saved those pictures so I can keep them in my files. You can never have too much good documentaion when you go to put things back together and your post definately exceeds the good catagory.

Thanks again,

- VRJoe

jeromio,

Wow! where did you get that diagram? I think it answers my question about a white plastic bottle with 2 tubes connected and the vacuum solenoids on the RH fender.

What do the solenoids do?

BTW, I took the car to a local radiator shop and the guy fixed it up real good. A/C pump gone, heater/defrost working.

Thanks, man.

• 3 months later...

TomoHawk,

About how much did the radiator shop run for fixin everything up? I want to get rid of the A/C, and now that it is freezing! out, i'd really like heat/defrost too, but i dread adjusting those stupid cables (i hope that's the problem) especially with no garage :( . Speaking of which, is there anything i can easily check that would say one way or the other that it IS the cables that need adjusting and not something worse?

Thanks for any help.

Patrick

• 3 years later...

Things can be so ironic. My Z was a non - A/C and I replaced everything to make it stock A/C. In the non - A/C model the only vacuum line ran off the back of the manifold to control the door actuator that closes that big flap on the blower motor housing. Other wise it's all mechanical. I have no idea what I did with the parts. I did that about 13 years ago. I need my A/C.