HybridZ

Death of a project

Wagz

Wow, it's been a looooonnnnggg time since I've been on HybridZ. Unfortunately, my reason for visiting was to post my Velo Rossa project in the classifieds.

I swore I would not be one of those guys that starts, but never finishes a big project like this. Yet, here I am. :-(

I started my VR many years ago and immediately became addicted to HybridZ. I remember not being able to go more than half a day without checking the site. Unfortunately, over time, life got in the way of my addiction and the project: putting my oldest through college (she graduates this year), big job change, moving to a new state, building a custom home, etc. All those things conspired to separate me from my VR. It's been sitting, gathering dust in my brother-in-law's airplane hangar for a couple of years now. I really thought I would get it back on track in the next year or so, but that just isn't going to happen.

The economy has killed my cash reserves and my new house and job suck up all my time. On top of that (and the real killer) is that my elderly mother is suffering from Alzheimer's and needs 24x7 care. That will require a bunch of $$.

Oh well, enough of the whining and waxing nostalgic. It's kind of a sad day, but in the long run it's all good. My time and money are going to more worthy causes for now. Maybe someday I'll get back to the Z addiction (I've still got an another unfinished Z hiding in a garage).

In the mean time, it's been fun to cruise the old forums here and see what's going on. Good luck to all with your great project cars.

Later,

Wagz

Phil/Owen - Thanks. It's definitely not fun to watch my mom deteriorate. Makes me nervous about my own occasional memory glitch.

Jeff - Nope. Wasn't me. I did have a pilot from Vancouver, WA approach me about buying my project a year or two ago. Not sure if he found one or not.

Wagz,

Life changes. I have 5 children now soooo, I know what you are talking about in terms of money & time not being there. I have had my project for 10 years and it is still not finished. If things get too tight, I will have to sell too, but I can't imagine that a measly $3000-$4000 will change a tight financial situation (for me anyway). I'm trying to keep (and finish) my project, so I am feeling your pain about having to stop completely. Bummer, man. I wish you and your family the best and hope things change for the better. Cheers.

Davy

I don't know you and this seems like a very personal thread but I'm going to post anyway. I can relate to both the end of your project and having a parent with Alzheimers or any similar condition. I'm betting the decision to pass on the project has been a long time coming and that you may have decided and changed your mind at least once or twice. When I watched the trailer with most of my project pull away I felt a lot of regret but I felt a little better too that all the second guessing was over and it was a done deal. I feel like that car will always be part mine. I think yours will always be part yours too.

Watching what happened to my mother was a whole different thing. She died more than four years ago but she was ill for years before that. Watching her deterioration was something that still gives me problems. I had just called it quits as a professional musician when she got sick. My brothers and sisters all had families, jobs, etc..."normal lives" and I was single and still looking around to see what I wanted to do so I was the obvious choice as caregiver. Hardest job I ever had.

I don't really have any wisdom to pass on from having gone through that except that sometimes even giving your best isn't enough but try not to doubt yourself. And take care of yourself.

Thank you all. I appreciate everyone's sentiments. In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to make choices like this. The issue for me is purely one of economics. I just won't have the cash (or the time) to devote to the car for the foreseeable future and I don't want to be aggravated and depressed by the site of all the dust building up on projects in the shop. (That, and I need the cash. :icon56:)

It's been tough watching my mom go through this. This situation is her worst nightmare. Her mother dealt with dementia and my mom was her caregiver for my entire childhood. My mom's worst fear is that she would end up in the same situation. It was a self-fulfilling prophesy.

My sisters and I are lucky in that we were able to keep her in her own home for the first couple of years of this ordeal. We've recently had to move her to a wonderful private home that specializes in caring for alzheimer's patients. The staff is great. The cost isn't great. :shock:

So, if anyone is interested in a Velo Rossa body kit, let me know. I'll save you a LOT of money over buying brand new.

Thanks!