HybridZ

HELP! Fuel/ignition problem

jevmaster5

My daily driver is a 82/83 280. I recently put a rebuilt morot in it, and am about 100mi in to the break in period. Sunday, I left my lights on and killed the battery. I managed to get a jump, and make it home. Apparently I did not run it long enough to charge properly. Monday, when I went to start it to warm it up, it managed to crank it once or twice, but never start it. Fine, so I grab the battery charger, and hook it up. After about 20min of trying to get it start, it finally does. then promptly died. both the EFI and fuel pump relays are clicking like crazy, the fuel pump doesn't actually run, and now there isnt power at the coil.

Ive checked all the fusible links i know of (near the battery) and the fuses under the dash. I REALLY need help, as I have no more ideas what the problem is.

get your battery load tested sounds bad from your description. Be sure your battery cable terminals are clean and corrosion free. If you have those one size fit all clamp-ons get some real cables. What is a morot?

battery is good, and I cleaned all the terminals. Sorry, meant to type Motor* and Ill try cleaning the cables themselves, since I do have aftermarket connectors, but OE cables.

I just cleaned the cables themselves. there was a good bit of superficial corrosion on them, and having removed that, I feel dumb. problem solved, car runs better than ever!

Not too uncommon. Somtimes they can look like crap and work great, somtimes the other way around.

I just cleaned the cables themselves. there was a good bit of superficial corrosion on them, and having removed that, I feel dumb. problem solved, car runs better than ever!

sometimes its just as easy as that!! lol. doesnt hurt to clean around the engine once in a while..come to think about it, i think ill do that tommorrow morning.:o

• 2 weeks later...

IT'S BAAAAAAAACCCCKKK. But this time....differently. The car started perfectly, warmed up, and pulled out of the driveway. I get 1/2 a mile down the road, the car dies, doing the same stupid clicky thing with the relays. Okay, I pull over, pop the hood, and clean all the wires. nothing. After about 30min of trying crap, I roll start it. IT WORKS. This time I make it about 1/4 of a mile. It hasn't run since, its been about 2.5 hrs... I'm going to try to throw on a charger tomorrow, and see what that does, i suspect nothing... ALSO, now my starter is having issues. I turn the key to start, and it engages perfectly for about 2 revolutions, and then, as best I can tell, the Bendix retracts, but continues to gain speed (like it should.) I have tried it many times, all now with the same result. HELP, its my daily driver, and I dont really own a back up.