HybridZ

My Speedhut gauge install

ktm

I don't think that you can leave the potentiometer in place as I believe the lights are LEDs. I pulled mine earlier when I converted the stock gauges to LED lighting, that, and the potentiometer was not functioning throughout the range of motion.

You can always tap the heater console lights into the potentiometer themselves and just wire up the Speedhut gauges separately. The lights on the Speedhut's are not that bright as to be a destraction.

Edited by ktm

You need to hook them together. The amp meter is the worst part of the 240z electrical system. If you look at the wiring diagram, that is how the battery gets its charge from the alternator in a 240z! Make sure this is a SOLID connection. I kept melting my butt connector and you would see smoke periodically.

So do I, but with the dash and harness still in the car when I first installed a 280z voltmeter, soldering and heat shrink were not an option. However, when I installed the Speedhuts, I eliminated that connection. I've rewired my car as well since this install. That alone was well worth it.

• 1 month later...

Quick question, did you have a noise problem with your tach? Mine was very bouncy above 3500 rpms.

S130, did you figure out a fix for this? My tach as smooth as butter till about 3500 rpm as well, then it spikes all over the place. It even thought I was idling at 4k once after jumping around a bit.

Anyone else that may know a solution I'd be quite happy to try it.

Edit; I cut the purple wire loop on my lunch break. It removed the huge jumping/spiking over 3k, however the tach is jumping around 300-500rpm at all rpms now.

Sorry for the semi-old-thread bump.

Edited by spitsnaugle

• 6 months later...

I installed the oil pressure sender from Speedhut into the stock pressure sender location and used a 1/8-bspt to 1/8-npt adapter. I was running a standalone engine management system that did not require an oil pressure signal. My coolant temp was provided by a different sender than the one from Speedhut.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I plan on getting the just the tachometer for now, then the speedometer. They looks great! I like the other stock gauges tho. haha. I have a 72 s30 240z and have a msd ignition. Will I still have to use a tach adapter?

• 1 year later...

Is that the cobalt blue glow or standard blue? and do you think it would be possible to fit 2 5/8" gauges in the pods?

I think on page 2 of this thread he mentioned they are regular blue and that he thought cobalt blue would be too dark. But double check...

• 6 months later...

I just put the 4.5 inch gauges in mine. They fit very well into the carriers but you will have to find a way to hold them in. I used a combination of pvc pipe and screws but the guy who sells them in the group buys forum said he used hot glue. Here are a couple pictures of them mounted into the carriers.

http://imgur.com/RvUWuFc

http://imgur.com/G0AumuF

Is there a turn signal and hand brake lights an option for the speedo/tach combo?

I just put the 4.5 inch gauges in mine. They fit very well into the carriers but you will have to find a way to hold them in. I used a combination of pvc pipe and screws but the guy who sells them in the group buys forum said he used hot glue. Here are a couple pictures of them mounted into the carriers.

http://imgur.com/RvUWuFc

http://imgur.com/G0AumuF

Edited by rigez