HybridZ

1977 280z Daily Driven Project

When you upgraded the altenator, did you do that maxifuse upgrade? Because, like i said , thats what I did and it fixed any charging issue I had without having to upgrade the alt. Im afraid that if you didn't upgrade to the maxifuse when you put in the alt. your work will be nullified because the fusible links will still only let as much power through as they did before with the old alt. Just my .02

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you upgraded the altenator, did you do that maxifuse upgrade? Because, like i said , thats what I did and it fixed any charging issue I had without having to upgrade the alt. Im afraid that if you didn't upgrade to the maxifuse when you put in the alt. your work will be nullified because the fusible links will still only let as much power through as they did before with the old alt. Just my .02

This makes sence. No I did not upgrade. I need to do it I just don't exactly have the money. I get my paycheck tomorrow, then I will buy the blocks and fuses and do that. Maybe it will fix it. I hope it will. The lights are messing up again.

I got the fuses I need now. I also got the wiring and which goes where. I won't wire it till tomorrow since I am off work. Still have to go get fuses, tape to re-loom, and some oil cause I found out I am running WAY low, I hope I haven't caused any internal engine damage.

I was told, 2 30's a 50 and an 80

Pics as promised. Not all the way screwed on, just one on each block. I will be able to put the kit together if you would like and should be able to get it to you for 40 shipped with the fuses (80, 50, and 4 30's) and maybe even the wire to go from Pos+ on starter to boxes in that price.

maxifuseboxes.jpg

allinkit.jpg

sidebysidez.jpg

nissansplice.jpg

maxifuse.jpg

maxifusetop.jpg

I am unaware if the maxi fuse fixed my lights. But I finally got down to the idle issue. The piece that has a vacuum line that pushes a rod down to hold the throttle when the engine is running. Well, I found out that the tip had broken off. And somebody had just stuffed a paper towel into it. So I either need to make a new peice, or buy another. Buying another crappy plastic one sounds like a bad Idea so I am going to try to get a metal cap piece. Then Thread it to put a metal vacuum line hook up on it. I will post how that goes after I go to a hardware store to look at what I might need. For now I am going to open up the idle stop screw to hold it at proper idle (which really shouldn't need to be changed back if I put it to ~750 RPM or so.)

I fixed the idle, I just opened it probably about a turn and a half. Its at about 750 now. With the first little turn it was at just over 500 and after I would let off the gas it would stumble then come back up and stay running. I need to seafoam because ALOT of carbon seems to come out of the exhaust. When the car sits idling in one spot it leaves a black spot on the cement.

Well guys. In about two weeks Bonnie (Yes, I named my car Bonnie) and I will be relocating to Mississippi it seems. I hope there are some hybridzer's down there. If your on the Mississippi Craigs list, its right into a town that has a real RHD fairlady for sale for only 5k. If only I had that, I would be rolling with 2 z's. A 73 fairlady would be sweet. http://gulfport.craigslist.org/cto/1526171131.html

Well, another little dumb update. I did a cheap and easy, and yes a little ghetto, seat repair (Duct tape) I understand its not fancy, its not cool, its not really good, its just because I was getting tired of having a seat that was just so messed up. It better than before. I don't think duct tape fixes all (or do I) so please no negative criticism (even though I don't expect any from the members here I do on other boards so I must post that because I plan to copy paste)

Before

interiorb.jpg

After

afterxu.jpg

Just curious but whats the story on the wheels that were in the hatch? they look kinnnda like my turbines i powdercoated... but more spread out?

Well, I have been trying to figure that out too. They are Rockets (that's what the center caps said at least) They came with some 280z's (found this out by seeing a few more on other 280z's) I got them on the 76 I parted out a while ago. They are 14x6.5 with a 0 offset. They use the "shank" style lug nuts. I don't have a lug set or they would be on the car. There was also a picture of a correvette on here a while ago with the same style but they were like 17 inches instead of 14. I have been trying to figure out exactly what they are for over a year with no luck. They seem to be really rare from what I have found and probably worth a little. I tried to get rid of them locally a while back and couldn't even get 150 for the whole set though (probably because they are only 14)

Good start, are you planning to remove those bumper shocks?

Don't know if you saw, there is only the Rear passengers left. I plan to take it out over the weekend when I am lower on gas but it depends on if I find the time and effort. Plus I have to be sure I am lower on gas, I don't wanna do it with over a half tank. I would like to be down to at least a quarter tank. Then I was gonna try to go to RR this weekend too and weld up the floors and maybe those lovely holes in the back there. I am assuming the entire tank needs to come out to weld the holes up because its way to close to the tank and it could go BOOM.

Don't know if you saw, there is only the Rear passengers left. I plan to take it out over the weekend when I am lower on gas but it depends on if I find the time and effort. Plus I have to be sure I am lower on gas, I don't wanna do it with over a half tank. I would like to be down to at least a quarter tank. Then I was gonna try to go to RR this weekend too and weld up the floors and maybe those lovely holes in the back there. I am assuming the entire tank needs to come out to weld the holes up because its way to close to the tank and it could go BOOM.

Must have missed one.

It's somewhat of a Botch to take off the gas tank but not too hard just make sure to hold it up with a jack so it doesn't come down hard on you. I also had to violently shake the bumper shock off of mine so it could come off not that much of a biggie I did everything in around 40 mins.

Let us know how it went.

Must have missed one.

It's somewhat of a Botch to take off the gas tank but not too hard just make sure to hold it up with a jack so it doesn't come down hard on you. I also had to violently shake the bumper shock off of mine so it could come off not that much of a biggie I did everything in around 40 mins.

Let us know how it went.

Oh, I haven't done it yet, I don't mean take it all the way out for welding (shaving) the rear holes up. I won't go all bondo or glass, that's ghetto, I like to have metal on my cars. lol

So, I was looking on ebay, and saw a key for a Mistubishi. I saw the ones for Nissan a long time ago but cannot find anymore now. Its the butterfly knife style keys and I really like the idea of having one. I know its ricer but I really don't care because I think it will be cool. So I am having a butterfly knife sent to me and I am going to RUIN! the knife by taking it apart and putting a key in it. I will post pictures after I get the knife and key. Will go to Nissan tomorrow and have a key made. If it turns out well I might even be able to make some for others. Plan is to lay the knife onto the key and trace out the mount points and such to cut the key to fit. We will see how this goes but I felt like posting up the idea and also was wondering if anybody else has ever tried this or anything similar.

So, I was looking on ebay, and saw a key for a Mistubishi. I saw the ones for Nissan a long time ago but cannot find anymore now.

Look a teensy bit harder :icon45:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-240Z-260Z-280Z-510-620-1200-BLANK-KEYS-SET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2304d5ed94QQitemZ150404984212QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_527wt_939

Edit* I thought you were looking for originals....MY BAD!

yea, looked at that key kit. The dealer should carry a replacement key right? It doesn't have to have the Z symbol on it, have a door and ignition key with that on it. I just want one to make into the butterfly key.