HybridZ

1977 280z Daily Driven Project

Just picked it up today, its a 1977 280z, has some floor board rust but that's all I can find so far. It runs great, drives good. Has newer tires on it. I only have a few pics, and most of them are bad, so I'm going to post the ones the P/O put in his ad.

_JGW6555.jpg_JGW6553.jpg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid 1300, its got a great stereo system, trying to sort out a little bit of a wiring issue. and its got the usual. Passenger floor board needs a large patch, drivers needs a smaller one. And the drivers rocker has a bit. I also found some rust in the hatch area, the hatch seal area only has surface rust. There are 2 small wholes towards the drivers quarter on the floor, by small I mean like a screw driver sized hole. It runs great, has cold air intake, ebay one but still. Plans are take bumpers off, fix rust, lower, wheels (already have some waiting) and we will see where it goes from there. Also, anybody know if a fuel gauge that doesn't work is the gauge, maybe a fuse? or could it be the sender unit? Also, as a quick question. I pulled the rear bumper off, the struts are still there, I know how to get those out. But the little lip thing above the bumper, I want to do it right. What is the best way to get that lip off? I will go take some more pics in a bit. The carpet is faded and the seats have rips. Drivers is kinda bad, passenger isn't to bad. Dash is obviously cracked. The shifter linkage needs to be tightened up, but overall, I LOVE IT! I will eventually go l28et but at this point in time I am still in high school and cannot afford it nor do I have the time since I work as well.

Oh, and I live in Santa Fe, I'm on ABQz if you are. moderns30 is my id

Some progress has been made, front bumper is fully off, no more struts or anything. Got the little garnish lip off the rear, sanded most of the surface rust off and painted it to prevent further rusting. Its not final, just a quick job for now, I will pull the tail lights and wire wheel the entire rear section and repaint it to make sure I get the rust. I have to drop the tank still to get out the passenger strut in the rear. I also have to drop the exhaust to get the drivers side strut out. It already looks way better without the Park Benches on it. Will post pics after I put my wheels on tomorrow in the daylight. At least if I get time. Right now I lost my phone (hope it fell out of my pocket at work cause its not in the car and I can't find it. If it fell out I hope it didn't get run over, cause that would blow.) but I will get pics up when I can.

HAHA, yes justin, MOAR PICS! haha, Like I said, lost my phone, hoping it didn't get run over at work, totally freaking out since I have had like 4 different phones in the past 2 months. Come to ABQ z meet on the 17th, I plan to try to make it, gonna have to haul A** after work to get over there. I have to go into work early tomorrow to get my wheels and tires done, being I can't be on the clock and working on my car, lol. I think I need to get a ground kit to, I think thats where my wiring grimlin between the horn radio and hazard switch are. Seems to kill one or the other if 2 are going at the same time... Horn is rigged by P/O, its and air horn. Radio, who knows, its in the dash. And the hazard switch doesn't look likes its been touched. I need to go through all the fuses still. Replace any bad ones and I also still need to clean the connections for the right turn signal. I love it though, the idea that everybody goes, dude what is it, when they don't know. Somebody asked if it was a porch! lol

That's a lot of phones in 2 months, lol. Then again, I lost/messed up like 3 of those stupid Nokia 2680 sliding phones in the course of a few months.

And if the meet is the 17th of this month, its gonna be a definite no because I have semester exams from the 16th-18th. I would probably have to cut 6th and 7th period just to get there in time. And then theres the problem of me not being able to drive without one of my parents, and I don't think my dad wants to drive all the way up there. But on the upside, I get my provisional in April so I might be able to make it to one around that time frame.

And good luck with figuring out your wiring, before my dad and I pulled the l24, I spent a good 2 hours reconnecting, re-taping (because wire cuts were taped with like Christmas present tape), and matching the right wires to get the horn, the driver headlight, the turn signals, the side markers, the tail lights, the interior lights, and the radio to work. And then the passenger headlight didn't want to work with 6 different bulbs.

Even working with the wires that are there is freaking tedious, and to think, I am gonna have to rewire the entire blue Z for my dad... Ugh...

The radio definitely helped though.

Also, I remember seeing a wiring diagram somewhere here on HBZ, but I can't seem to find it, or I'm not looking hard enough, but it helps aloooot. Even for the little bit I did.

I have no problem with the factory service manual, the PO took the liberty of printing everything out, like hundreds of pages, and hole punched it all, and put it in the binder. I think one of the guys I work with has my phone. Either Isaac or Kevin

I took my time pushing up then down till each spot weld broke. I'm sad now, I was putting my wheels on, got 2 tires mounted and balanced, go to bolt on, wrong lugs. Need to buy a lug kit, yet I already owe my mom 400 for the car, and 50 to get a new phone from insurance (yes its gone) and now I owe her 100 more, BECAUSE A BUSHING IN THE REAR WENT OUT! So basically, I have to get a full bushing kit, I guess that means I get to upgrade, which is good, but obviously, this is my daily, It can't be down long, My day off is Wednesday, Basically, I have to get the bushings in by then, I can't reverse, as the wheel moves forwards. So I have to drive and park where I never have to back up, and I have to drive careful. then I have to drop all the rear suspension and everything Wednesday, and have it all done, from 3:30 till dark (about 4:30, so I'm probably going to be working in the dark till around midnight on Wednesday fixing my car. If I could afford it (obviously already in the hole, I would just get lowering springs and illuminas while I was at it all.

Wait, sorry, roughly 160 dollar bushing kit, Right now I had a really really bad day, my moms boyfriend is having a party, and is going to expect me to do the dishes after him and all his friends trash the place and dirty all the dishes, and that, NOT HAPPENING! If anybody would like to donate to my project, I'm open, I need a welder, a hood latch cable, floor boards or sheet metal to make patches out of, cash, a bushing kit, Coil overs would be nice, new struts would be nice, even just regular lowering springs would be nice, if you have anything use and in good shape that you are willing to spare, that would be great. I am totally broke as you can see, and I need need need stuff. hell, a dollar in my paypal would be lovely. paypal email = kinser.hair@gmail.com =P lol. Seriously though, I would love a hood latch cable if somebody is willing to give one away off a parts car or something. That would be fantastic. I could un ghetto rig that.

Kinser, is that a hint-hint/nudge-nudge type of thing going on with the hood latch cable? Lol.

I'll see if I can get it out in the next week. I wont go do it now because it's dark, cold, I don't want to ride my bike a mile to the 280z, and I'm making a pizza. Sooo.. Yeah.

And that sucks that more stuff is going wrong with your car. At least it's not like stuff falling off while driving or something crazy like that.

Oh, and for the floors, do what you told me to do, just cut out metal from an old refrigerator. DUMPSTER DIVING FTW!!!

I will get my floors from a fridge or wash/dryer of something, I don't have a welder nor the money to buy one. Sorta a hint justin, but its really for anybody, I just don't have any money right now, and wont for at least a month and a half since I'm going to be paying my mom back. I don't like the way the hood is rigged because it allows anybody to open it whenever they feel like it. I want to eventually just do those locking hood catches but that's like 120, and I don't have money. LOL The way the bushings are in the suspension, if I drive it hard at all, even like little pulls, I'm afraid it will turn into stuff falling off, such as a drivers side control are and strut assembly. I still love my car, but man 30 year old cars are a huge pain. Oh, and does anybody on here buy 280z bumpers? the front stuff is still good, I have the struts and full bumper if anybody wants it. Just make an offer, shipping will be expensive, but if you like park benches and diving boards on your car, then I have a front one that will do ya. Oh, and it comes with free fog lights if you pay me something for its soon, if not I'm going to put them on the car and wire them up into the stock lights.

Well, I broke my cross bar on the rear doglegs on the suspension. If anybody has one cheap, espcially if you are in New Mexico (Justin, answer your phone... lol) then I need one, like now, that and the dog legs. I cracked a dogleg as a result of the crossbar breaking. Probably when I hit ice and went sideways then hit dry pavement again sideways it snapped it. I can't drive the car till I get theses parts, and its my daily, If I can get them today that's great. I emails the one guy I know that is local, like in abq, to see if he could get me them. I don't know his number is the problem. JUSTIN SERIOUSLY! ANSWER YOUR PHONE! lol I need these parts, and I need them now, I can't afford the AZC ones, or I would just go that route since its nicer stronger and better but I can't. So I already ordered the bushings so I am still doing that, but I don't need those atm. This is become a money pit and fast (damn this addiction) SOMEBODY SAVE ME! haha I have old 280z tails for sale, one has a broken lense. I have interior bits, and I have 2 stock air boxes for 280z if anybody need/wants them, buy them. So I can at least start to pay back what I now owe on this thing. Also, if anybody is in New Mexico and wants to stop by and help, getting the old dog legs out is proving to be a hassle.