HybridZ

Interior Vinyl Paint

shika805

I'm currently working on the interior of my car, trying to get things looking like new again. I've been looking into Vinyl Paint? I know Dupli Color makes a spray bottle with this. I am planning to paint my plastic pieces, transmission tunnel console and door panels. Wondering if anyone has experience with this paint or the Dupli Color Vinyl paint?

I did a search, and brought up an old thread but it didn't bring up Dupli Color? I know there's other paints out there, but our auto supply town here doesnt carry any other paint than dupli color.

thanks in advance guys!!!!

I am not at my garage ritht now so can't confirm the products I used. But what I do recall is that I used a plastic paint prep material to ensure good adhesion to both the plastic Datsun used in the interior, and the vinyl trim. the plastic paint prep worked well, except I should note that on two of the plastic panels i had real trouble getting a good bond: the actual paint stayed wet for a long time. I am not sure what i did wrong, and am still looking into it. IIRC i used a Krylor paint, not a duplicolour.

But even with that flaw, the results were good. I did a fair amount to clean the material (tsp, thinner, etc). The outcome was good, outside of the adheion/drying issue I encountered. Well worth it.

I also takk the time to repair some of the broken plastic backing on the trim (lots of two part epoxy and some fibreglass) , and re-work the fasteners to ensure a reasonable fit,with fewer vibrations and less noise transmission.

good luck with this, and post pics of the result....

I have no experience with Dupli-Color, however I have used SEM stain/paint for the interior with fantastic results. The interior is going on three years old after using the SEM product on the door panels, kick panels and other inside parts and it still looks extremely good. This is a D.D. By the way, I did follow the manufactures instructions to the letter by using their cleaner and prep products.

Mike

i wanted to keep the same style texture on the interior pieces, i was afraid that by sanding them down i would have removed it. I just used soap and water, scrubbed well, air dried and used some Dupli Color Adhesive Promoter.

the promoter really helps the adhesion to the plastic, works really well... if you just use the vinyl paint it works well too. i tried both, does the job really well!

Those panels look new. Nice work. The guy i bought my car from sanded and fiberglassed over the center console and dash. It looks really good and is stinking strong now. If you are going to pull your dash, you might think about repairing it versus putting the cap back on.

DSCN1844.jpg

DSCN1847.jpg

Thank you for the info guys. I am going 2 tone on my interior. Black on top and tan lower. I needed something to color the top of the door panels black and to make my console 2 tone. Black dash cap and tan lower section..etc. etc. etc. I haul new cars for a living and the 2 tone interior is very common now. I am going yellow/white exterior and the black/tan interior is the best color combo I can come up with.

Edited by powershotnt
spelling

sounds interesting, make sure to post pics once complete. I am going to smooth and paint the dash to match the car...stripes and all.

Of course, i have to paint the car first for the dash to match too. A dirty primer gray and white splotched dash wouldn't look so good. :)

good luck with your project!