HybridZ

RB20DET Pros/Cons...differences between other RBs

Tech@EPR

NICS was an early problematical 12 intake runner system from the plenum to the head with 2 throttle shafts, ECCS is a more robust and more powerful 6 runner system.

The secondary runners had a butterfly in them that opened when the primary ones were at capacity. A later version is on the QR25 and later RB NEO engines IIRC, but the early RB20 systems were not very successful and were soon dropped for the ECCS.

i swapped the rb20 into my sonoma and i loved it, The main thing is that the tq is low so off boost power is crappy with a bigger turbo, my truck is heavy so it made it worse. Stock form they have basically no lag but the turbo craps out on top end so i switched to a t3/t4, Once the turbo hit at 3500rpm the rb20 is very impressive as it pulls hard to 8k.I did break a piston or two in mine as they are weak and the only time it broke is when i had the haltech on it and couldnt tune it out because of the cas. I havent had my rb20 apart yet but i think another thing that the rb25 has and the rb20 doesnt is the oil squirters under the pistons (i could be wrong). I have since switched to an rb25 in the truck (it was only 500 bucks), i love both motors and would recommend the rb20 to anyone looking for good power at a low price. I am going to rebuild my rb20 and drop it in my 1967.5 SPL311, light car and that engine should be very good. One good thing about the rb20's head is that the exhaust manifolds are the same with the rb25. The rb20 along with any engine will make great power when built and tuned right, i wanna see more of the buiild on the rb20, and for 100 bucks? dang man send it to me :D