HybridZ

LSx exhaust manifolds?

• Administrators

LS1tech is probably going to be your best bet.

I starting amassing a nice collection of OE LSx exhaust manifolds in search of an OE option for an LSx powered Z32. When I finally admitted defeat in that I would have to cut the firewall, I moth balled that project in favor of and LSx BMW M3.

Any how, here are those manifolds and some of the details pertaining tho them.

Truck

C5 Vette LS1/LS6

C6 Vette LS2

Caddy CTS-V LS6

GTO LS1/LS2

F-bod LS1

More details and pics of fitment in the Z32 engine bay starting here on Page #3 through Page #4;

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=144469&page=3

• Administrators

C5 Vette LS1-LS6 exh mani's;

… After a short bit of research on exhaust manifolds, I decided to get a pair of Vette LS6 crate motor take off exhaust manifolds. Never ran, price was very right! The reason I am so tickled over these manifolds is one, they are cast iron, less prone to manifold gasket leaks, two, from a flow standpoint, these are as or at least almost as good as a tri-Y shorty header. The interior surface is rough, not smooth like a header, but the primary diameters appear to be approx 1 5/8”- to possibly 1 ¾”? not quite round shaped, more oval shaped. All the merges are smooth fluid, no steps inside. They are very close to equal length and in a true tri-Y design. Not sure the "Tri-Y" design in of itself has much benefit, but if GM deemed it adequate for 405 OE HP in the LS6…. Weight wise, for cast iron they feel pretty light, though not doubt they are heavier than headers of this same length, just not enough heavier that I am bothered by it.

EMani1.jpg

EMani2.jpg

This pic of the back side shows where the primaries and secondaries pair up in the casting.

EMani3.jpg

This pic is looking up the collector. VERY difficult to make out in the picture, but you can just see the primary merge for the forward pair and the merge for the secondaries. The merges look nice and clean. VERY nice casting…

InColl.jpg

Edited by BRAAP

• Administrators

GTO LS1-LS2 exh mani's;

LS2 GTO exhaust manifolds arrived yesterday, (as well as another cool goodie. An OE GM .525” lift LSx camshaft with matching springs and pushrods...) :2thumbs:

First things first, a few GTO exhaust mani glamour shots, then a quick and dirty mock up. After that, the question of manifold outlet size popped into my head…

I’ll skip the boring details and save that of the LSx swappers guide supplement later.

For those of you with an LS2 GTO with stock manifolds, you have more mid to upper RPM power available in getting rid of these stock manifolds for a set of properly fitting headers!

Here are some shots I took today…

GTO1.jpg

GTO2.jpg

GTO3.jpg

Headerflanges.jpg

TrVttfl.jpg

GTOflange.jpg

Here are the Z32 GTO exhaust manifold fitment shots.

Driver side;

GTOdr1.jpg

Passenger side;

GTOps1.jpg

Till the next update when the Caddy CTS-V and Vette LS2 manifolds arrive which according to online tracking will be next week some time for both.

Awaiting a reply about a set of F-bod exhaust manifolds with possibly a pair of scrap LS heads for mock up only purposes. :wink:

Edited by BRAAP

• Administrators

Caddy CTS-V exh mani's;

Caddy CTS-V LS6 exhaust manifolds arrived today.

Interesting manifolds these are. The outlets are 2 different sizes. Driver side is 2 3/8” opening, passenger is 2 5/8”?!?!shrug.gif On the driver side, there is quite a bit of material in the casting around the header pipe flange to open up the one side that is fed by the front 3 cylinders therefore balancing the outlet dimension a bit.

It is quite clear GM spent more time and attention on the Vette exhaust manifolds. It'll be interesting to see the LS2 Vette manifolds when they arrive later this week. :2thumbs:

Now on to the really cool part. These manifolds fit the Z-32 LSx with the engine sitting in this position PERFECTLY! (If you are moving your back, forward, up or down from the this location, no guarantee these will fit this nice).

Here be the pics, Cadillac CTS-V LS6 exhaust manifolds;

CTS1.jpg

CTS2.jpg

CTS3.jpg

Parallax in the pic, actual measurement is 2 5/8" ID, not 2 9/16" as depicted

CTShdrFLNG.jpg

Here is the fitment in the mock up Z-32;

Driver side;

CTSdr1.jpg

CTSdr2.jpg

Passenger side;

CTSps1.jpg

CTSps2.jpg

• Administrators

C6 Vette LS2 exh mani's;

LS2 C6 Vette Exhaust manifolds…

This one is for CRASH, knowing he has been patiently waiting the LS2 manifold update, (previous post was purely a teaser to torment CRASH… Surprised he wasn't screaming for the details yet... ) :lmao:

Outlets are 2 3/8” for both, with a cool header flange gasket. Note the recess in the header pipe flange. Not sure if the Vette pipe flange will be needed or just a flat flange. They seem to be for the most part symmetrical like the other Vette manifolds.

LS2a.jpg

LS2b.jpg

LS2c.jpg

LS2flng.jpg

Fitment in the Z-32 looks pretty good. The CTS-V manifolds are a better fit, but these Vette LS2 manifolds are a close second place and look like can be made to work. The biggest issue is the driver side and getting the down pipe to clear the steering shaft and hydraulic lines. Down pipe to be an immediate offset towards the block should be enough.

LS2 Vette exhaust manifold mock up;

Driver side;

LS2dr1.jpg

LS2dr2.jpg

LS2dr3.jpg

Passenger side;

LS2ps1.jpg

LS2ps2.jpg

’98-’02 F-body exh mani's;

98-02LS1F-bod.jpg

I need to correct you a tad bit Paul. There are actually two different F-Body LS1 manifolds. The earlier ones were made for '98-'99 and the later ones were '00-'02 (yours are the later version). The earlier ones were made from double walled steel with cast iron flanges and the later ones were made completely of cast iron.

Also, the '98-'99's fit a lot tighter to the block. I have a set of the earlier ones, let me see if I can take a pic and post it here.

I also have a set of 6.0 truck manifolds, I'll take a pic of those too while I am at it.

• Administrators
I need to correct you a tad bit Paul. There are actually two different F-Body LS1 manifolds. The earlier ones were made for '98-'99 and the later ones were '00-'02 (yours are the later version). The earlier ones were made from double walled steel with cast iron flanges and the later ones were made completely of cast iron.

Also, the '98-'99's fit a lot tighter to the block. I have a set of the earlier ones, let me see if I can take a pic and post it here.

I also have a set of 6.0 truck manifolds, I'll take a pic of those too while I am at it.

Thank you for catching that mistake, :2thumbs: my apologies, correction made to the post.

Pics of your Stamped F-bod manifolds would be great.

Same also applies to the C5 Vette manifolds. Early version. ('97-'99) were the double wall stamped sheet-metal, not sure if they were dimensionally any different.

Here are the early Vette stamped manifolds;

97-99Vette.jpg

Edited by BRAAP

Think you are correct about the truck manifolds as far as fitment, however I do know the earlier ones have A.I.R. tube provisions and the later versions do not. I don't know the exact year where the change was made, but I do know it was prior to 2004.

Thank you for the info, I knew I had seen something around here before...

Do you still have any of those manifolds? I'm looking for a stock style manifold that can be run backwards for a turbo setup in my Z31. The truck manifolds that I have almost fit, but the passenger side outlet hits the frame. A side by side with the truck and CTS manifolds would help me out quite a bit.

• Administrators

I still have all the exhaust manifolds, no plans to part with any of them. :wink: I loaned the Vette and CTS manifolds to a gentleman doing an LSx Supra conversion across the river. I will be getting them back soon as I have some mock up s I want to use them for myself, I can get more pics and dimensions then. :2thumbs:

even though i dont have a lsx z i like posts like this because i get people asking me questions on other project cars.you can always send them to extrude hone them

Extrude honing is worth maybe 5hp on a LSx motor and its not cheap.

I have a buddy that runs his '70 Chevelle SS454 LS6 in a 'Factory Appearing' class and he had his done to the tune of $800 for the pair.

5hp for lots of $$$, not worth it or practical IMO. Especially since a nice set of JTR/Sanderson ceramic coated headers are $500 brand new and they will fit the S30 chassis without any issues.