HybridZ

The Virtue Z

Tanuki

So today i finally sold the STI. Not that I didn't love it, just wanted to eliminate the payment. Anyways along the way I had a guy try to trade me a 77 celica w/ f22c swap and a ton of goodies, for the car plus cash (obviously). I did everything that I could to come up with the cash to buy his car (you can't loan out for a 77 celica), but once I worked my pants off to get the money together, it turned out that he couldn't get financed on even half of what I was asking! I was really ticked as I really wanted the updated classic car, even if it had a few flaws. Anyways this all inspired me. You see his car was supposedly known as "el diablo" basically a super bad a mother sucker. A car unlike any other on the planet. Well I feel the sudden urge to one up him, so I am now going to build a 72 240z and update it as well, but better. I am not only doing this to one up him, I really want an updated classic, and the 240z is one of my favorites. So presenting the beginning of a beautiful relationship:

The Virtue:

1972 240z

All original with a few upgrades

71k original miles

New Paint

DSC_0450.jpg

DSC_0451.jpg

DSC_0452.jpg

DSC_0454.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg

Just to begin, I am ordering the new heart: RB26

I know this is kind of childish, but I gotta spend that money I saved up!

Here is a pic of "El Diablo"

3b41c38a.jpg

Picked up a few parts

4runner newly reconditioned brakes with new brake pads

063.jpg

2 Subaru power steering racks.

McKinney 240z to Rb26det motor mounts and tranny mount. New. Never installed.

108.jpg

Also picked up some power locks, and Power window assemblies.

Project is getting started now that I am throwing money at it!

Well all the local guys with motors were taking to long to get back to me, so I just ordered the RB26 (from a R33) from JDM of Miami. I expressed concern with the fact that I had heard of motors coming with low compression etc, and Carlos over there said he would email photos of a compression test on the motor he will personally do monday before shipping the motor. He also gave me a great deal by paying just through pay pal and not the ebay auction (this way I am still protected by pay pal).

Anyways here is a picture of the engine as it sits:

RB26R33SWAP21.JPG

Here is the Ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180446054398&viewitem=&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1&category=33615

I also printed out the full add before it comes down from ebay (to protect me).

I sure hope its a 33 as described. What are the tell tales that its a 32 over 33?

I don't want the issues that I have read come with the 32 rb26's!

You really need to start reading guy. All this info is right here if you look for it.

13 posts down from your post here in the RB section shows a post titled :how do you tell what year engine you have". http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.php?p=1103959&postcount=8

In two pics shown in that post, I see three tale tale signs: oil cap, gray connector by the fuel pressure reg laying on the intake manifold, only one pipe on the power steering pump, and another is the maroon colored injector plugs. The 33 also has curved fan blades.

The only curve ball I see with the pics of yours is it appears to have a pull type clutch, which could have been swapped onto it to match maybe a R34 RB25det 5 spd trans, cause I believe the R32 came with a push clutch...

oh, mckinney is doing some cad worth with a oil pan company about a rear sump pan for this kind of swap. Last i heard they are waiting on the cad work to get back from the company which is supposed to be soon. they are expecting prototypes jan-feb. i have asked him if he would post a topic and post updates to it, so hopefully that will happen. they were going to try for a target price of 700-800 but im sure thats all realitive.

-Lee

I started photoshoping today as I wait for the motor to ship. I am also getting ready to order gauges so I can install them as I have the car apart / am wiring everything. I want to do an alcantra/ suede dash with baseball stitching.

Here is what I am thinking right now:

ZDashPlans.jpg

I'm not sure though as I might want to leave the GTR cluster in one piece rather than separating to fit into the OEM Cluster cut outs.

Here is a PS of it in the car:

ZmockDASH.jpg