HybridZ

Sync Loss 36-1 ford vr

tech9

I am having some serious problems figuring out why my ford vr sensor hates megasquirt.

I can't get it to stay synced for the life of me. While cranking it will lose sync every second or so. I have tried different wires, different grounding techniques, tried tuning the vr pots, unplugged everything from megasquirt except vr sensor, swapped a cap (that was said was causing sync problems on megamanual) I have tried almost everything and I can't seem to figure out the problem.

Running MS2 board, msextra software, etc.

what kind of wire are you using to connect the VR sensor to the EDIS unit? Where is the cable running? Is it close to the alternator? Is it close to an electric fan motor? Is it close to the wiring that supports the generator or electric fan? You could be the victim of an external noise source... even a spark plug wire. Make sure you have a shielded cable and keep it as far away from anything that can generate electrical noise. Are you sure you have the correct polarity from the VR sensor?

I'm using the wire supplied from diyautotune (the grey shielded type) and 1 regular ground wire. I tried both polaritys also, I can't find anywhere that says specific which wire is + or -, so I'm just testing both for now.

The only thing that is hooked up is the alternator and it is right next to the vr sensor, no way to get the wire away from it, since its only inches from it.

I was thinking it was external noise, but I just can't seem to find the problem. I have everything unplugged, even the fans, etc right now to figure this out.

Next: Trying my friends ms board, and another vr sensor, and also trying to shield both of the vr sensor wires.

Thanks for the help!

I guess i'm doing something completely wrong.

I tried another MS unit, same problem, rewired the vr sensor using shielded wire on both + and -, disconnected alternator, etc etc.

It just keeps resetting sync no matter what I do. I wish I had a scope to see what the problem really was. Any ideas appreciated.

Are you using EDIS, or sending the VR signal directly to the MS?

You should move the sensor. It should be mounted as far away as possible from any electo-magnetic device. This means alternators, cooling fans, etc. I had my VR sensor mounted close to the cooling fan motor. Every time the cooling fan would come on the engine would stumble.

There is no way to "move" it actaully. Using derek's setup, and I fixed the problem (or so I think)

I was the gap between the sensor and wheel, his setup is not really adjustable, but I will have to mod it a little to get it closer. I taped the VR sensor on to the correct gap tonight and it synced perfect.

I'm going to test the fan / alternator setup first before I get it all installed to make sure there is no noise.

Thanks!

There is no way to "move" it actaully. Using derek's setup, and I fixed the problem (or so I think)

I was the gap between the sensor and wheel, his setup is not really adjustable, but I will have to mod it a little to get it closer. I taped the VR sensor on to the correct gap tonight and it synced perfect.

I'm going to test the fan / alternator setup first before I get it all installed to make sure there is no noise.

Thanks!

Hopefully you figured it out.

The bracket is slotted and pivots on the 8MM bolt. This allows you to set the air gap.

Derek