HybridZ

I need help with a twin turbo V8 set up...

I want multiple opinions on the twin turbo SB v8, and if anyone has any pictures. I have never seen one in a z and have the funds to do so. I am just worried about the space for the turbo's... Any help would be nice. And this is a serious question.

Edited by cmbromme
Screwed up

I want multiple opinions on the twin turbo SB v8, and if anyone has any pictures. I have never seen one in a z and have the funds to do so. I am just worried about the space for the turbo's... Any help would be nice. And this is a serious question.

A single turbo would likely be easier. Please tell us what it is you want in the car as a whole. Do you care if they are top mount turbos that stick out of the hood? Do you want carbs or EFI. Please tell us what you want before we can atleast help to steer you in the right direction.

cmbromme-

Don't know if you've found the info you're looking for....but I just did a quick search on "turbo" and "twin turbo" in the Chevy V8 forums, and got several hits. Here's one (excellent) example that may help you get started on your project:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=143571&highlight=twin+turbo

As jc052685 stressed, it's *really* important to decide on your goals for the car before embarking on a project of this magnitude and expense.

Good luck whatever you decide, and be sure to keep us updated as your project progresses!

jhm

• Like 1

cmbromme,

You have a number of options as far as turbo placement goes, I have seen high-mount twins, front-mount twins, front and high-mount singles. I've included a couple of pics of my 71 240 with high-mount. Obviously don't fit under the hood...Turbomeister has a great setup and his are front mount, there are a number of other folks on here with turbo v-8's and all work...just a matter of preference and what you want your setup to do. There are a myriad of things to consider that impact your vehicle as a cohesive system before you make a decision as to what will work for you. I'll list the ones that come immediately to mind: Motor, transmission, driveshaft, rearend, rearend gears, torque converter or clutch, fuel injection or carburation, cooling system, turbo(s) oiling system, motor oiling system, intercooler, exhaust system/routing, turbo system tubing/routing, blow-off valve(s), wastegates, amount of boost, fuel system, chassis considerations, tires/wheels to handle the power of the turbo motor, etc., etc.,

also, check out the video on my recent post; Purple People eater shakedown runs

Wayne

19616_thumb.attach

19617_thumb.attach

I think that most people that have twin turbo setups, myself included would go single turbo if they were to do it again. Althought the twin turbo's look really cool.

Wayne has it right, it takes a whole package. IMO the th400 or the better PG is the transmission of choice here, but it depends on your application.

Running a little late tonite guys. I want to get the turbo's first. The bigger single does sound better. When it comes to how the motor is built, I have a spec sheet i got from my brothers boss. Internal engine wise i have that down. I want them or it under the hood. A nice sleeper. I havent decided on what tranny because my uncle has a 5 speed Keisler transmission form his 1978 z thats he has took out for a 6 speed.I might start out with that. When it comes to the rearend and gear ratio thats why I am here. The rest is a situation to me were I have to start some were and do some research. Thats why I am here...lol... besides I dont care about the shenanigans everyone is posting I just need some info. If this helps any I want to see some pictures, Visit some links, and ill have all the facts ready for you guys... ill keep the questions coming.

Thanks PaulR ...thes pics helped out. Thats what I needed to see. When i comes to everything else ill figure it out as i go. To see them mounted like that looks good.

Actually, it was jhm who posted the link... but it is my TT install. Thanks.

Paul

Wayne is or was using the gale banks kit, modified somewhat using efi. Depending on how you mount the engine I believe it will all fit under the hood. fits under my Monte SS hood easily.

I have the same kit in race trim from Gale Banks except with 18psi wastegates and stainless steel exhaust manifolds (rare $2000 upgrade). It is for sale as a kit, less the C&S aerosol billet 850 blow through carb for $3700, w/carb for $5000. Carb calibrated for C16, I used Rocket 118 fuel. Includes factory stainless steel water/methanol injection unit as well, kit is complete. Engine available also, 355 chevy, balanced steel crank, 4 bolt block, hard block short filled, decked, align honed,, head studs, main studs, carillo rods, trw blower pistons, fluidampr, sfi flexplate, AFR 227 competition heads, solid roller custom turbo cam (250/260, .630/.630), stainless comp roller rockers, stud girdle, billet tru roller tc, etc, etc, yada yada, few shakedown passes only, went best 10.60 @155mph in 3800lb car smoking the slicks. Blows the 13 inch wide slicks off my monte carlo SS. Guaranteed to blow the tires off your z. Not sure what power it makes, but it's alot, figures to about 1100 based on mph. I've got over 13K in motor, carb, and turbo kit. $10K turnkey complete engine, TT setup, methanol/water inj including carb. Fresh PG available also, turbo input shaft, 8 clutch high drum, 6 clutch reverse drum, 1.76 planetaries, t-brake, bte deep pan, full manual valve body, $1000, or vasco jet turbo input shaft, 10 clutch high drum, 6 clutch reverse, 1.76 planetaries, roller tailshaft, full manual valve body, t-brake, bte deep pan, all new, ready to run $1300

So, if your serious, it's all there and you can have the baddest twin turbo v8 z on the planet.

Yes Sir, Doc...still using the Banks system...upgraded the turbo's to gt 4094's. I will tell anyone who is listening that is a heck of a deal on the turbo stuff you have for sale...although we'd have to discuss the "baddest Z on the planet" stuff a little further...on an 1/8th mile track for example....hee, hee, hee, :o)

Wayne

LMAO, your right!!! Sitting at the light with 5psi boost on the two step and t-brake, it launches so hard that it blew the slicks right away as the boost rockets to 12+ in the blink of an eye. I couldn't watch the gauge anymore since I was watching the track and trying to keep it straight while smoking tires. Short shifted to high which stopped the wheel spin and the tach was at like 4500 and it felt like I was on a rocket sled. Front end was light and it was dancing all over the track right and left but the monte is easy to drive and has PS. In a z I can only imagine what it's like and why on gods earth you'd want more turbo's is truly beyond me. Well, maybe you have the combination of tires and suspension dialed in and it's a breeze to drive. I can tell you that your crazy and really be right on in description. But I like you anyway. :lmao: As for the baddest z on the planet, he can claim whatever he wants and the two of you can duke it out.

I am going to complete my single turbo project this year and just go SLOW. :lmao: