HybridZ

Converting a current driven tacho into an electronic tacho

vantage

This is a small project i did last week to integrate the current driven stock tacho ("four wire tacho") of my '72 240Z with a new Megajolt ignition.

The conversion enables the tacho to accept standard square wave tacho signals from electronic ignitions such as Megajolt, Megasquirt, Bosch, MSD etc. After a quick calibration the tacho was surprisingly quite precise (less than 3% error), not bad for a 38 year old instrument. Cost of material is below $10, time to build the circuit and install is 2-3 hours.

http://www.dinoplex.org/tachoconversion/

Enjoy!

240ztacho_converter_s_thumb.jpg

avr_controller_s_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi,

This post is amazing and I know that a number of people on the RB forum will be very interested to see this.

I am presently trying to adapt a a 280z tacho to work on a Nissan Rb26DETT engine fitted to my 240z. From your great write-up it seems that this would be a Kickback controlled tacho.

post-1409-12698120558596_thumb.jpg

The RB engine uses a Coil on Plug (COP) ignition system. I am using an Apexi Power Controller ECU and this has an output for the tacho signal but will not drive the tacho directly.

Have you any advice as to how I might get this to work?

Thanks in anticipation

Edited by Bishopsrock

It does look like a kickback controlled tacho. I have no experience with the 280Z tach, but the simplest approach probably would be to use a standard tacho adapter such as the MSD 8920 to convert the Apexi tach trigger to a compatible kickback ("voltage triggered") signal driving.

• 2 years later...