HybridZ

first nos pass, need new trans

Finally got my nitrous system set up, figured I would start with a 100 shot, warmed the bottle up to 1000 psi, armed it at about 4000 rpm in second gear, pulled awesome, shifted to third and it wripped the teeth of my G-force T5 tranny. Was a really awesome couple of seconds....shame it trashed my $2500 tranny.

I thought G-Force transmissions were rater higher than that. Go figure. I wonder what they would say if you sent them back a box of broken gears with a thank you note :mrgreen:

I hope you can get it sorted out. Will you be going with G-Force again or will you go Richmond, etc?

Davy

I thought G-Force transmissions were rater higher than that. Go figure. I wonder what they would say if you sent them back a box of broken gears with a thank you note :mrgreen:

I hope you can get it sorted out. Will you be going with G-Force again or will you go Richmond, etc?

Davy

Not sure what I am going to do yet. I will call them later today and discuss what they think they can do. As far as I remember, they did not make any claims that my tranny would handle much over 500hp. I new I was pushing it so not upset with them.

I run a serious shot of nitrous on my 383 roller engine and its destroyed u-joints and a few built 700r4 transmissions,but you can aid the longevity a good deal by not using slicks as spinning street tires acts like a (TORQUE FUSE)preventing drive line failures provided you add the shot of nitrous rater gradually and only at or above about 50mph and 4000rpm, in the top couple of gears, as it tends to soften the impact forces on the drive line

then theres a good chance the trans was already, lets say "not in ideal condition " and the nitrous was "THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMELS BACK" as the saying goes

generally a 350-383 sbc with a decent shot of nitrous will prove to be more than most older well used transmissions can handle long term, for the following reason, its an excellent way to find the weak link in your drive train....

n2odyno.gif

but with your transmission that should not have been the case.

Edited by grumpyvette

Well, I guess it's back to a plan. U going to get another manual or just go automatic?

I love shifting gears but haven't been able to find anything besides a lenco that will stand up to big TQ and HP, at least not for very long.

Probably time someone really developed a trans that could take the abuse, something like a dual countershaft design with small diameter gears.

Well, I guess it's back to a plan. U going to get another manual or just go automatic?

I love shifting gears but haven't been able to find anything besides a lenco that will stand up to big TQ and HP, at least not for very long.

Probably time someone really developed a trans that could take the abuse, something like a dual countershaft design with small diameter gears.

Have not decided yet. I am with you on the love of shifting gears, won't seem like a sports car if it has an auto in it.

Will see.

TKO-600_GM_small.jpg

TKO-600 G.M.

TKO-500_Ford_small.jpg

TKO 500 FORD

http://www.americanpowertrain.com/popwindow2.html

http://www.americanpowertrain.com/tremec-transmissions.htm

If I had the cash ID jump on a couple of there tko 600 extremes for my corvettes...

being retired and low on cash sucks in some ways

Edited by grumpyvette

I've been very happy with my TKO. It was pretty tight at first, but broke in and shifted nicely after that. I put a Pro 5.0 shifter on it and the GM Synchromesh fluid right from the beginning, and never had any problems. I've seen a number of people post about the shift quality, and difficulty shifting over 6K rpm, but I haven't had either of those issues. I routinely shift it at 7k at the track, no problems at all. I've been putting about 520hp/400ft# thru it for several years now road racing type app, no drag racing.

jt

IMO if your serious about having it stay together then the EMCO 4 speed is about all that can handle big hp and tq, that's what they use in Nascar. The rest just don't hold up, otherwise you'd see them in Nascar. But no 5th gear. But you can tailor your gear ratios with 11 input gear ratios and like 29 shifting ratios.

No. Both the front bearing retainer diameter and the input shaft length are different.

Pretty sure the TKO uses a M20-21 Muncie bellhousing. I can dig up the # of the GM bellhousing I was using if you want it, although drag racing you might be in scattershield territory.

jt