HybridZ

280ZXT Axle Shaft Specifications

IdahoZ

Does anyone have an axle shaft from a 82-83 280ZXT they could measure for me? I am interested in the measurements of the axle shaft itself, just the center bar without the CV joints installed. I am looking for spline count on both ends, spline length and dia and overall shaft length. A photo would be great.

Thanks.

I talked to a guy from CVJ Axles in Denver today and his book says that the center shafts (without the CV joints) were the same on all S130s (1979-83 280ZX), had 27 splines, were the same on both sides (unlike the Z31 shafts that were 15.25" long on the right side and 15.8125" on the left), and were around 14.25" long.

If the S130 shafts were shorter than the Z31 shafts and had the same 27 spline count, the same diameter (i.e just as strong), had the retaining clip grooves machined in the correct position - then these shorter shafts could be used with the Z31 CV ends to create a hybrid half shaft with the overall axle length being reduced by as much as 1 inch. I'm thinking this might be a good solution for those of us using the R200/Z31 half shaft/MM adapter/280Z companion flange upgrade. For those that might have binding issues, an extra inch of travel in the CV axle should eliminate this. Has anyone looked at creating a hybrid axle using a S130 shaft with Z31 CVs?

Does anyone have a bare shaft from an S130 available they can measure to see if this might work? I have bare Z31 shafts that we can compare them to.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. Were the shafts you measured from a 280ZXT or 300ZXT. You mentioned in your post you thought the shafts came from a 1986 model. If so, they would be Z31 shafts (i.e. 300 ZXT).

Yes, you are correct. They are from a 300zx not a 280zx. They were accompanied by the ends with four bolts.

• 3 months later...