HybridZ

Stripping your car with Soda Blasting

scottkell

Hey Z Guys,

I posted this yesterday in the parts for sale area. I should have placed it here. I have a mobile Soda Blasting Unit. I got into this business because I couldnt find anyone to strip my car with Soda when I was restoring it. Please check out my website. I cover the Southeast. It is definitly a huge time saver. 1 day to completely strip a car to bare metal and will not hurt the metal, glass or rubber. Includes all the jambs and seams. Give me a call 706 897 0316 or go to my web www.gatorsodablasting.com

The cost to strip a Z depends upon what paint or how much paint is on it.

Let me help you do the job right.

Scott

The body shop that painted my Z soda blasted the entire car- its amazing watching the paint peel of to bare metal. The biggest problem with sanding or glass blasting is that you thin and weaken and can easily warp the metal. I would highly recommend getting your car soda blasted if you're going to do a full paint job.

I second the Soda Blast on cars. Especially Z cars. The metal on them is already thin to begin with and sand blasting on certain areas might end up doing more harm than good. The only problem with soda blasting is it doesn't remove any rust.

Scott, you have any solutions to this? Everyone who owns a Z would want to safely strip the paint (soda) and remove the rust. I've seen soda combinations (soda with aluminum mix i think?) but haven't heard of anyone's story on how it went.

Eastwood has these mixes and it ends up being the same price as a regular bag of soda.

Another thing that you have to keep in mind though is that the soda residue leaves a small coating (which is good because it keeps rust off the metal, thus preventing flash rust) but the downside to this is that you can't put any paint/primer on it do to the fact that the soda residue will not let it adhere.

I've heard of people using water to remove this residue (dissolves it) but then I imagine the flash rust would happen again (metal + water = back to square one)

Read on other forums of people using a vinegar/water mix or just pure vinegar (lots of fizzing though) then coat it with primer/epoxy.

RE: RockChucker

Not sure what soda blasting is running at, but I know that companies here in chicago will sand blast the frame of the z for under 1 grand.

Maybe they're charging more because soda can't be re-used? IMHO sounds pretty high. Did you strip all parts off so just metal is left? Are they going to spray it with epoxy or some sort of coating when they're done?

RE: RockChucker

Not sure what soda blasting is running at, but I know that companies here in chicago will sand blast the frame of the z for under 1 grand.

Maybe they're charging more because soda can't be re-used? IMHO sounds pretty high. Did you strip all parts off so just metal is left? Are they going to spray it with epoxy or some sort of coating when they're done?

On a Z I can probably strip the outside of the body and all of the jambs for about 500 to 800 as long as the paint is just one layer (basically factory) paint.

Scott Kell

Would this include then cleaning the frame and putting a layer of sealant/epoxy or is the price just for blasting and dust off alone?

Oh and I did a bit of searching and what people seem to be using to clean the baking soda residue off, without having flash rust come back is just liquid metal clean, and using a pressure blaster.

I have some links if you want me to pm you them, but basically using some product called holdtight 102 (never heard of it), or aquaklean by kbs that sorta thing. The other companies names escape me.

Not sure about aquaklean and the others but holdtight 102 said that it was reviewed by sherwin williams so more than likely it is compatible with sherwin williams paint system.

Would this include then cleaning the frame and putting a layer of sealant/epoxy or is the price just for blasting and dust off alone?

Oh and I did a bit of searching and what people seem to be using to clean the baking soda residue off, without having flash rust come back is just liquid metal clean, and using a pressure blaster.

I have some links if you want me to pm you them, but basically using some product called holdtight 102 (never heard of it), or aquaklean by kbs that sorta thing. The other companies names escape me.

Not sure about aquaklean and the others but holdtight 102 said that it was reviewed by sherwin williams so more than likely it is compatible with sherwin williams paint system.

You did a good job on your homework. My distributer sells holdtight 102 so I can get it for you or you may be able to get from Sherwin Williams. I'll find out in the morning. The #s I quoted would not include any sealants. And if time allows I may be able to blast some of the engine compartment. I do blow off the dust. Blasting averages about $150 per hr. and is well worth it. It all depends on what existing paint is on the car.

Maybe I'm missing something... but why not just use rubbing alcohol to clean off the residue where you want to paint?

Scott... that is a great price! Anything higher than that and I would simply buy a blaster myself or convert over my sand blaster.

My Z is in need of a strip but I need to get it running again. Maybe 3 years from now I'll have the time!!! HaHa!!