HybridZ

Post pics of your z's here!!

terrorizer805

Nice work. I figured I'd try and tackle some audio work this summer, last summer I built an exhaust so I happy to just listen to that but I'm afraid the thrill might wear off. My plan was to start with a false floor woofer enclosure in the spare tire well, stock size rear quarter speakers and I'm debating between running a head unit or just an aux cord and preamp into an amplifier (no need to listen to the radio). The fiberglass door panels in the group buy forum look great, but I wasn't keen on the necessary power window conversion. I wouldn't have noticed you shortened the window crank if you didn't say anything. Nice job!

No interference issues with the window hardware? 

Good idea with the false floor woofer enclosure, that's what I just recently made up. Turned out great. It was a lot of work though; I went ported/tuned to about 33hz, it's almost too loud for the poor Z, but I do have volume control, hah

1400354_10151686762306714_1627032058_o.j

Nice work. I figured I'd try and tackle some audio work this summer, last summer I built an exhaust so I happy to just listen to that but I'm afraid the thrill might wear off. My plan was to start with a false floor woofer enclosure in the spare tire well, stock size rear quarter speakers and I'm debating between running a head unit or just an aux cord and preamp into an amplifier (no need to listen to the radio). The fiberglass door panels in the group buy forum look great, but I wasn't keen on the necessary power window conversion. I wouldn't have noticed you shortened the window crank if you didn't say anything. Nice job!

No interference issues with the window hardware?

actually down in that corner there's no issues with any of the interior mechanism

yeah actually I'm at the beginning of a speaker box to fit in the back by the hatch to house 2 8 inch JBL subs. but I'm starting to think two might be overkill for the size of our cars.

post-44346-0-19906300-1399489629_thumb.jpg

Good idea with the false floor woofer enclosure, that's what I just recently made up. Turned out great. It was a lot of work though; I went ported/tuned to about 33hz, it's almost too loud for the poor Z, but I do have volume control, hah

1400354_10151686762306714_1627032058_o.j

Unfortunately your pic isn't working, and I'm dying to see it. 

My game plan for the woofer enclosure (sealed) is as follows:

- Build up the spare tire well with Plastidip so to ensure the enclosure ends up slightly smaller than the spare tire well

- Cover plastidip in foil and masking tap as smooth as possible to prevent Plastidip from being dissolved by the resin, apply release agent

- Create a fiberglass mold of the vertical walls of the spare well and extend to perimeter of flat section

- Cut a top piece for the box from MDF, cut hole for woofer (I have a 10" Infinity kicking around, but I may have to source something shallower)

- Flip the fiberglass spare tire well mold upside down onto the MDF and create a mating flange where the fiberglass can be fastened to the MDF

- Put the fiberglass piece back in the spare tire well and finish fiberglassing the center section. Drill a hole over the spare tire tie-down thread to allow box to be bolted down using the same thread.

- Join MDF top to fiberglass "bowl", install woofer, install some sort of sound insulation in small void left by Plastidip in the first step (strips of rubber tape or even another coat of Plastidip) 

- Rock out  :trippen:

- Find a full size spare for road trips.

Edit: Posting from work, hence the pic not showing, just checked it on my phone and it looks Great! How did you enclose it on the inside? Looks like you used a low profile woofer? I was hoping to have it contained beneath the factory false floor and be completely hidden. Perhaps cut out a new floor and add some vent holes about the speaker, but I don't think that should be an issue. 

Edited by m1ghtymaxXx

Unfortunately your pic isn't working, and I'm dying to see it. 

My game plan for the woofer enclosure (sealed) is as follows:

- Build up the spare tire well with Plastidip so to ensure the enclosure ends up slightly smaller than the spare tire well

- Cover plastidip in foil and masking tap as smooth as possible to prevent Plastidip from being dissolved by the resin, apply release agent

- Create a fiberglass mold of the vertical walls of the spare well and extend to perimeter of flat section

- Cut a top piece for the box from MDF, cut hole for woofer (I have a 10" Infinity kicking around, but I may have to source something shallower)

- Flip the fiberglass spare tire well mold upside down onto the MDF and create a mating flange where the fiberglass can be fastened to the MDF

- Put the fiberglass piece back in the spare tire well and finish fiberglassing the center section. Drill a hole over the spare tire tie-down thread to allow box to be bolted down using the same thread.

- Join MDF top to fiberglass "bowl", install woofer, install some sort of sound insulation in small void left by Plastidip in the first step (strips of rubber tape or even another coat of Plastidip) 

- Rock out  :trippen:

- Find a full size spare for road trips.

Edit: Posting from work, hence the pic not showing, just checked it on my phone and it looks Great! How did you enclose it on the inside? Looks like you used a low profile woofer? I was hoping to have it contained beneath the factory false floor and be completely hidden. Perhaps cut out a new floor and add some vent holes about the speaker, but I don't think that should be an issue. 

There is an easier way that weighs less.You may want to visit my old thread http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/75085-stereo-install-in-240z/

You do not have to build a false floor and add all that weight when using a ported system. The tire well is the box and you just seal off the top.

Very nice work 310Z, Some people hate doing these types of modifications to older cars, but oh well - What ever makes us happy! It all can be removed, and reverted back to factory original, used only the original floor panels as templates, so the originals are still stashed away. It weighs a bit, but nothing major 

I just built a box to fit inside the well, so it can be removed easily. I've gone the route of a complete fiberglass enclosure using the floor pans as shape, and I wasn't thrilled with the sound it produced, so I tried something a little different. I did use a shallow mount 12", and it's plenty of boom for this small car, lol

886452_10151685213411714_19213401_o.jpg1410855_10151686759876714_1757085570_o.j

Edited by -Strike-

R_3,

I know a guy with the same exterior set up. The green and gold look great together. My friends has tan interior that is stock. Somewhere on here there is a guy from Norway that has the green and gold color scheme with the most amazing tan interior, I think it is all hand stitched leather, gorgeous.