HybridZ

280zxt Idle acting up/Stalling

So ive been searching around the forum to see if anyone else has had the problem my car has recently began to annoy me with. So far no luck at all.

So this is the issue im having...

About 3 weeks ago while i was driving on the freeway. Cruising at 65@ about 2800 to 3000 rpm's. Out of nowhere the car began to lose power, The rpm's began to fall even tho my foot had the same pressure on the gas. I look over at my A/F ratio's and the car is leaning out. While this is happening I look at my rear view mirror and the car is puffing out a light smoke screen. All Black, and the smell was horrible! The only thing i can reference the smell to is Burning hair mixed with ammonia. I had to drive the car above 4000 rpms for it to stay on. I get off the freeway and checked everything out. The plugs looked pretty bad so i replaced them on the spot. Started the car and the problem was gone.

Now this past weekend the exact same thing happen while i was stuck in traffic on the freeway. The idle began to drop really low 200 to 300 rpms. It would go down low enough for all the dash lights to turn on as if the car had stalled. At which point the car did stall on me 3 times. I had to keep the motor alive by giving it gas and that smell came back. I wonder what people next to me where thinking? Im sitting there in parking lot traffic not moving but revving my motor at 3k rpms just so that it stops stalling out. So anyways I get off and check everything out and this time the plugs where fine. So i start checking for vacuum leaks. Everything is fine. The A/F ratio was right on mark not leaning out or anything. Fuel filter is brand new, Spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor all new as well. So im sitting there clueless this time. I start the car again and its idling fine. But as soon as i would give it gas, it would stumble first and then rev up. Then right after it would rev up the motor would die or the rpms would dip really low and the engine would barely stay turned on.

This morning however everything was fine again. No idle issues, no stalling, no funny smells. The only thing i can possibly think of thats maybe going bad is the AFM? Does anyone know the symptoms of a bad afm?

Edited by Daniel13brx7
mispelled words

have you changed the fuel filter lately? Have you checked your fuel pressure? That would be the first thing to look at. You need air, fuel and spark to run so be sure your are getting air and fuel.

I replaced the Fuel filter 2 months ago, Ill check the fuel pressure this weekend. Oddly enough the car has been running fine so far again. ?_?

I am currently suffering from same problem. 82 280zxt. The issue is it isnt constantly happening so finding out why is difficult. Mine Is extremely rich. sometimes in the morning it stalls out and I have to cut power to fuel pump (kill switch) and crank it over a few times. I have also Had smoke screens flare up when stop lights turn green with no explanation no excessive accelaration. I never know when the gremlins are gonna hit. I have dialed back the afm and I think it helped some, changed fuel filter, spark plugs, wires are good, Injectors are supposedly new remans. The turbo spools up nicely. All electrical contacts I can find have been cleaned, fuel pressure steady at idle and climb nicely with acceleration. Fuel lines changed to fuel inj lines. Aftermarket jsk fuel rail. Cht sensor kills or almost kills car when unplugged. Good connections on all other temp sensors.

Sorry I have no answers, just more questions.

I am currently suffering from same problem. 82 280zxt. The issue is it isnt constantly happening so finding out why is difficult. Mine Is extremely rich. sometimes in the morning it stalls out and I have to cut power to fuel pump (kill switch) and crank it over a few times. I have also Had smoke screens flare up when stop lights turn green with no explanation no excessive accelaration. I never know when the gremlins are gonna hit. I have dialed back the afm and I think it helped some, changed fuel filter, spark plugs, wires are good, Injectors are supposedly new remans. The turbo spools up nicely. All electrical contacts I can find have been cleaned, fuel pressure steady at idle and climb nicely with acceleration. Fuel lines changed to fuel inj lines. Aftermarket jsk fuel rail. Cht sensor kills or almost kills car when unplugged. Good connections on all other temp sensors.

Sorry I have no answers, just more questions.

Well Thanks for the try, I havent had the problem again. But i hate waiting for it. Its going to pop up when i really need to do something important and its going to suck. :-(

How can i find out if i have water in my gas tank with out taking the gas tank out?

looking for any information, and searching for this question has not been going vary well.

And what is the messurments to the 280zx gas tank?

I think i have water in my tank so im thinking out buying a fuel cell and fuel pump.

For my issue the fuel pressure is perfect and regulator is new and working. I believe the problem may be in the ecu. When this problem strikes I hear a fast clicking from fuel pump relay, fuel injectors cut off, and spark Dies. So I lose 2 of the three items needed. A quik tap with my foot on the ecu has seemed to solve it temporarly. Buying a multimeter today!!

That does make sense actually! I was thinking something along those lines or possibly moisture trapt in there somehow. Anyways the megasquirt will be going in soon. So i wont have to be dealing with all of this ever again i hope.

Wolfman dlc, Do you have your afm cap open? as in not sealed back together?

The cap isnt sealed. I dont think that was my problem. I tested everything with a multimeter and everything was good. I read about insufficent grounds. I added several new groundwires from afm, block, coil area, and Intake manifold to the neg battery post. NO MORE ISSUES since. Might want to add a few!!

The cap isnt sealed. I dont think that was my problem. I tested everything with a multimeter and everything was good. I read about insufficent grounds. I added several new groundwires from afm, block, coil area, and Intake manifold to the neg battery post. NO MORE ISSUES since. Might want to add a few!!

Hmmm... interesting! You know one thing i do notice is that every single time i get out of my car i get Zapped! As soon as i touch the body/chasis anything metal. ZAP! Sometimes its mild, sometimes its really strong. Ive seen the blue spark at night. i wonder if i dont have enough grounds then?