HybridZ

Custom 240z small parts (trim panel, tail light etc) interest?

My initial goal is to make some one-offs for my 240z as a home sort of long term project. Is there anyone else interested in some aesthetic components? I would be willing to kick into high gear if a market existed, I can't find anyone that is doing this already. The closest thing on here are the chopped door skins I bought a year ago which have been somewhat of a pain.

First I want to make all the interior trim panels out of fg to replace the cheesy plastic ones that are falling apart on me. They would probably be smooth and ready to be painted whichever color, lightweight vacuum bagged at room temp. Plus I would like to combine the two side pieces into one and get rid of the bulge for the gas tank breather as well as the fake speaker holes etc. I'm sure some people would also like a clear coated cf interior that would just ooze panache. Perhaps even a composite dash or console that won't crack on us, although the tooling for those would be pretty extreme.

Secondly, I want to make custom tail light lenses to replace the expensive stock ones that I don't even really care for, of which mine are starting to look like swiss cheese. I'm tempted to buy a legit vacuform station but it wouldn't be very economical if I end up only making one set. I could make several clay molds, the first of which would eradicate the reflector and chrome strip and then the whole lens can be uniform clear or smoked.

I'm sure there are other things I can make as well out of glass or plastic once the ideas are presented. Comments, concerns?

Sounds intriguing. I'm sure you'd get a big interest if the prices were right. I might be up for some cool tail light lenses myself.

I'm wondering if your post would get more attention in the 'Group Buy' or 'Vendors' sub-forums?

Good luck whatever you decide!

Would the taillight lenses replace the stock ones? Would they like bond or bolt to the housing or what (I'm not sure how the taillights are put together; I've never taken them out). I'm just wondering because my taillight lenses are busted and cracked. I'm liking the idea of a totally smooth taillight, that would look awesome smoked really dark with really bright leds behind them with a black panel on the back so the colors all blend.

They will replace the original lenses. I will also be doing an LED upgrade which might look better without the bulb cones, but I don't see much need for fabricating the housings unless most people want a similar upgrade package. It could very well be an aluminum plate with a mounted circuit board holding 10 or so LEDs.

There was a group buy a while back from a Company called Klearz.com that we got 280z clear lenses done. They made clear, red and smoked versions of the lenses and might still have the moulds. as for the 240z, the could make them cheaper than you could since they're already setup for that, but other interior pieces I would really be interrested in. I know a lot of people are looking for a Apillar gauge pod for the S30. So you would need to start this off by figuring what you can make, maybe make a prototype or so to show the work you can do, then put it in the group buy section. But Showing picts of how you'd do it would be the best way to draw interest.

Phar

Thanks for the info. I shot an email off to those guys to see if they want to make the lenses. I think I'm more of a fan of flat lenses as opposed to the conical type, without the reflector and chrome strip, which seems to be the trend for newer cars as well, but if they can spit them out at a reasonable price I guess there's not much reason for me to make my own style.

I'm not a big fan of gauge pods like that myself, and it's tricky because everyone seems to have different opinions on what they want so I don't know if we would all be content with a single style. I'm more into non-ricer upgrades that are more subtle. I wish I had the space and the time to run a shop that makes stuff like that but for now I'm just planning on making stuff I can use myself at first and since I have the tooling I can make more for other people.

• 1 month later...

A Pillar gauges would be quite popular

Dash I wouldn't bother with unless its something new and unique - we already have complete dash caps

Interior body trim would be nice - esp CF... someone had the door panels done in CF and they looked really nice

Tail lights - I'm in the process of making up a set for my S130 similar to the G37. They look agressive - I'll probably do an LED brow along the top curve as well. Something like that would be pretty slick esp on a Hybrid S30 ;) The stock tail lights are the least appealing aspect of the S30 IMHO....

130_0711_03_z+2008_infiniti_g37_coupe+passenger_tail_light.jpg

A piller pods that fit s30's would make it more convenient to add more necessary gauges when turbo swapping, just as one example. I would love to see a single 2-1/16" gauge provision molded into the top half of the ignition/steering wheel plastic cover. A gauge provision for say a boost or air/fuel meter gauge that resides smack dab in the middle of the tach and speedo, but still allowing an unobstructed view of both. Lastly, there are currently no options other than used plastic replacement carpet deck caps, that reside behind the two seats and cover the top edge. Maybe a new option for that would be nice??

Dash I wouldn't bother with unless its something new and unique - we already have complete dash caps

Interior body trim would be nice - esp CF... someone had the door panels done in CF and they looked really nice

Tail lights - I'm in the process of making up a set for my S130 similar to the G37. They look agressive - I'll probably do an LED brow along the top curve as well. Something like that would be pretty slick esp on a Hybrid S30 ;) The stock tail lights are the least appealing aspect of the S30 IMHO....

130_0711_03_z+2008_infiniti_g37_coupe+passenger_tail_light.jpg

I'd love to see the interior bits. I'm about to need to source an entire interior plastic set and I'd really rather buy a brand new set of FG pieces and paint to my specs rather than getting a 40 year old set of plastic pieces that will just start cracking on me immediately.

I agree about the stock taillights. I'm splashing them now for the customs, still not sure about the lights though. I was thinking just a couple rows of leds, and maybe even another mod where they have a sequencing circuit. I like the g37 lights but don't know if it works for a squarish lens. What do you mean by brow?

I'm looking into CF for sure, probably still offering a cheaper FG option. I've learned that many places pigment the resin so that it's a solid color, rather than gel coat. This could be even cheaper, plus still has a UV stabilizer, and will not show scratches as much since the color goes all the way through like the plastics. The CF however will probably get a clear urethane. I'm also talking to a local shop that sells tooling supplies because I want to make reusable vacuum bags and pop out some better parts quickly.

I think the dash could be worth it if it's customized like I mentioned with more gauge pods, perhaps the modern size so aftermarket gauges fit better. Do the caps even look good? I always assumed they would be pretty noticeable.

A piller pods that fit s30's would make it more convenient to add more necessary gauges when turbo swapping, just as one example. I would love to see a single 2-1/16" gauge provision molded into the top half of the ignition/steering wheel plastic cover. A gauge provision for say a boost or air/fuel meter gauge that resides smack dab in the middle of the tach and speedo, but still allowing an unobstructed view of both. Lastly, there are currently no options other than used plastic replacement carpet deck caps, that reside behind the two seats and cover the top edge. Maybe a new option for that would be nice??

I am warming up to the steering column gauge idea. It does seem like something would fit pretty well, and solve the problem of being short one pod with aftermarket gauges. A-pillar pods would probably be pretty easy to do as well. I think you're talking about the plastic cap piece that runs the width of the car, do a lot of people want those? I never gave it much thought. A glass extrusion shop (ladder rails) could punch those out by the dozens. Interesting idea.

I'd love to see the interior bits. I'm about to need to source an entire interior plastic set and I'd really rather buy a brand new set of FG pieces and paint to my specs rather than getting a 40 year old set of plastic pieces that will just start cracking on me immediately.

Same here, that's what got me going on it in the first place. I found a whole set once but was thinking to myself, do I really want to pay this much just to delay the problem rather than fix it permanently? There are a lot of pieces though, it's gonna take me a little while to get some headway.

I would be all over a set of CF interior pannels. Not trying to hyjack your thread but these guys do offer the stock interior parts.

http://www.datsunrestore.com/catalog.html

Yeah availability isn't too much of an issue, unless you are looking for something other than black. There are a couple sites like that one I've seen, I think one or two of them have an ebay store as well. I have a feeling the price of a FG set would be comparable however, those things aren't too cheap. We'll call the CF price a worthy upgrade :D

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody stealing my lenses idea? I just talked to my teacher and he thought I was working with someone from fullerton who was asking about a shop that could reproduce lenses. He is a step ahead of me though, he already had a machine shop duplicate the chrome strip out of aluminum, which is exactly what I was thinking of doing! Especially if I were to have the lenses two piece resin casted. Weird.

Don't be offended. It's all been done, or someone thought of it before.

I wanted to get that piece made out of aluminum several years ago, but never pursued it long enough to get it made.

I would buy a set if the price was right.

I was thinking of having a tool made for injection molding them when they guy mentioned machining them out of aluminum and it hit me. I was sitting there thinking of how to make them like the originals it hadn't even occurred to me to machine them. Would be pretty pricey by the pair though, plastic ones could be made by the hundreds. I don't even have a working tail light right now except what's on the car. Should have splashed the pieces before putting them back together.

• 7 months later...

Project Mayhem!

Before, so good so far.

post-3335-061380100 1289791219_thumb.jpg

After, not so much.

post-3335-043074500 1289791227_thumb.jpg

I was trying to wax in the spare tire well and glass a subwoofer box that had just enough room for carpet and fit snug, but, well, I think the draft angle is too high for the sheet wax to work. At least sealing it didn't work out all that well to say the least. Perhaps a high quality spray sealer would work but I just don't want to deal with all that again.

It was either do it like this or cut the metal in half and make it a two piece mold, or fill the whole thing with plaster and make one really heavy male mold instead (but I'd still have the hurdle of part thickness). I even thought I could just build up the inside of the well with some heavy cloth and not even separate it, just use it to set the proper thickness (or if I can separate it add even more cloth to the backside and have a nice glass tool, but it would need A LOT of glass and resin). Besides a male mold is just so much better all around, and it doesn't really matter what the surface looks like considering it's going in a hole.

I think I spent way too much time being a perfectionist and worrying about making the part too big so it wouldn't fit or would be too tight (or wouldn't be able to carpet it and it would rattle). It really doesn't make much sense to spend all that time making it the perfect size when I could just build a buck out of foam to roughly the right size less 1/4" or so and lay up on top of it. That way it can be carpeted and will still have a little fudge factor room all the way around. Who cares if it's a perfect fit, right? I'll still put a flange on it so that it can be screwed down to the deck. There would be plenty of space inside regardless. My sub only asks for a little over a foot, and this is probably at least 2.5.

Mounting depth would be an issue for any large sub for a box that fits in that hole though. If someone needed an extra inch to fit the sub of their dreams, a custom top could be designed to bubble up a little and maybe even angle the sub forward. I really like the pioneer shallow mount though, and it really kicks. If you wanted to get weird with it 2 of their 10" subs would fit perfectly and the box could be ported or bandpass with the perfect volume and be quite deafening. Both the 10" and 12" are 1500W, but the 12" has a little more range, and the 8" is just too small for this much space, although three of those would be quite hilarious.

Oh, so many projects, so frustrating. I keep bouncing back and forth between them not really seeing any results yet.

I would love to see some nice 280Z taillights made, as well as a custom half center hump cover, one that goes from the dash to right behind the shifter.

I would buy 280Z parts if the price was right, esp A pillar pods. An A pillar gauge is not 'ricer', it is just the best option if you want lets say oil temp, AFR or Boost gauges. I have an AFR gauge held to my dash with a small piece of double sided sticky foam tape. I just have not gotten around to ordering and modifying a Miata pod yet.

Yeah a-pillar pods are only ricer if they consist of nonfunctional boost gauges. I don't personally think they are very aesthetic but that's me.

The only problem is that most of the interior parts seem to not be interchangeable. 240,260,280 all have slight variations. Some things like the dome light panel and tail panel look a little different but I think they can be swapped though. Do you guys know if the steering cover is or not?

What's a half center hump cover? You mean a piece that replaces the center console and heater panel?