HybridZ

What motor did you use on your RB swap?

ww

What RB motor is in your Z?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What RB motor is in your Z?

This poll is for those who've actually "completed" their swap. In other words, you have a street legal running car with an RB motor.

I'm curious how many people have completed the swap and what was your motor selection.

I'll start with my RB26DETT powered 1972 240Z:

rb26det-license-plate-640x480.jpg

IMG_2134.JPG

dsc00001.jpg

dsc00005.jpg

My "other" RB swap in progress is an RB25DET going into a Dodge Hugger Orange 1972 240Z, but it doesn't move under it's own power yet, so it doesn't count!

RB25 here but the term "Street Legal" is very vague and iffy. Lets put it this way, if we had to smog our cars, putting in a RB would definately not be street legal. Because our cars are classics, it doesn't make the swap legal. It's more of a loop hole in a gray area where people are not as concerned as much as other cars. Lets use another example 240SXs common swaps are SR20s. Can you get it to pass smog with a SR20? Yes, but is it legal? No.

BTW you can remove my vote for RB25 because I didn't see your post before I saw the poll, sorry...My car is in the shop :cry: coming out soon but not yet. Please everyone, be like the OP and post them pics of your engine. I'm sure some of us wanna see what you got :icon6:

Here's mine waiting to come out (just a teaser)

RB25DETAD.jpg

I went with the RB26. I liked the idea of a TT and I bought it a while back when good R33 motorsets were easier to come by. Honestly I think the 26 is just for the wow factor. Jtaylor's RB25 would smoke my car as would many other 25 setups on this board. Knowing what I know now I'd go with an RB 25 or maybe even an RB20. If you are looking for a DD or a fun trackday car and you don't have a death wish then the RB25 will do very well. Having said that I still think the RB26 is the tits.

Bayalmostcomplete.jpg

RB25 here but the term "Street Legal" is very vague and iffy. Lets put it this way, if we had to smog our cars, putting in a RB would definately not be street legal. Because our cars are classics, it doesn't make the swap legal. It's more of a loop hole in a gray area where people are not as concerned as much as other cars. Lets use another example 240SXs common swaps are SR20s. Can you get it to pass smog with a SR20? Yes, but is it legal? No.

Haha! Good point, given that no RB motor was ever federalized in the US, there are NO "legal" RB swapped domestic cars in the US!

What I should have said was "registered" and functional... ;)

I also like the "wow" factor that the RB26 gets, but I won't do another one. It's just too complicated to do the TT right and if you want REALLY big power, you have to convert to a single turbo anyway, so you end up with an RB25 with 0.1L more displacement...

It was fun, but definitely not worth it. That's why my current Time Attack project is getting a crazy RB25DET build. The RB26 will stay a very regular driver and is always a crowd pleaser at the car shows.