HybridZ

Scotch Drinkers Unite: Your Favorites

Drax240z

A few days to go until the Victoria Whiskey Festival, and I thought "we've got a thread for everything else here, why not scotch?"

So what are a few of your favorite scotches? Here are a few of mine in no particular order:

1) The Peat Monster: More smokey than peaty, but a whole lot of in your face flavour. The pleasant version of chewing on a campfire log.

2) Scapa 14: Light, fruity, smooth... I like it a lot, though I'm just getting "into" it a little bit. Strange smells of vanilla and honey...

3) Glenfiddach 18: Just a great all around scotch. It's common for a reason.

4) The Balvenie Doublewood: Smooth and fruity, not unlike Scapa 14 but with a bit more sherry cask goodness. (and lots of oak!)

I'm sure I'll try a few dozen $500+ bottles at whiskey fest, but not sure I'll be able to remember them all. ;)

Edited by Drax240z

For me it's Lagavulin. Smokey, peaty, just right.

My old roommate recently gave his sister $500 to buy the best scotch she could get her hands on (she's lived in Scotland for 3 or 4 years now). I think I may need to visit him...

Best I've every had at a bar, GlenMorae, or GlenMorey or something like that. Best I buy for myself, Laphroaig 300ml, I can't afford the 745ml on a regular basis...

On the other hand, I'm more likely to have Tullamore Dew Irish than Scotch.

Ahhh.. Glenfiddich 18 is a wonderful scotch.

What is funny is that the 15 year is horrible, and the 12 year is actually pretty decent.

Johnny walker Blue label is definitely up there in my book. Its smooth, not very complex, but nice.

Glen Morangie 18 is great, it is sweet enough to be had neat. I usually like a little water or an ice cube. (Its gotta be good ice though)

The Dalmore 21 is also among my favorites.

And Glenfiddich 30, sometimes available for as low as $270/750ml at bev mo. (wish it was actually in stock once in a while!)

I cant remember the Vintage now, but i had a great bottle of Glenrothes as well. Just an absolutely sublime finish to it.

I don't drink much anymore... I can't afford it!

Glenfiddich 12 is great at under $30 a bottle. Typically for whiskey, I prefer the single or blended singles. The blends that add 'process' whiskey are typically too harsh for me. Having said that, I've sampled quite a few but I'm not as much as a taster as I'd like. Spent some time in Scotland, but worked too much to get to do the traditional whiskey tour, ended up going to a museum :(

Is this closed to Bourbon?

Makers Mark with 1 cube of ice is just fine by me, and I got a bottle of Evan Williams for Xmas, which isn't too shabby.

Glenfiddich 12 is good, as are Macallan 12 and Cairnleigh 12. I don't care for the peaty scotches too much (Isle of Spey I am looking at you). Good god, I drank this one scotch at my cousins wedding that was supposedly only sold at the distillery on the isle. It was like drinking dirt. I kept wondering if I had grass in my teeth. I don't buy the more expensive bottles as often as used to as I drink them too fast. :lol:

My every day bottle is usually an Irish whiskey since they are quite smooth.

I really like the premium Tequila's and have been drinking more of them lately. I find them similar to Scotches in their complexity and smoothness.

4) The Balvenie Doublewood: Smooth and fruity, not unlike Scapa 14 but with a bit more sherry cask goodness.

Definitely one of my favorites, and definitely for the price of $32 at trader joes!

Would also have to second the Glenfiddich 18yr old.

Not really a fan of the JW blue. For the price, there's a ton of other bottles i'd rather buy. The local costco does have the Blue label for $145 though, not a bad price!

I've had a ton of others, but i don't remember them all. My dad once told me about the best bottle he'd ever had, Glenlivet Library...but i've never been able to find it, even after searching extensively online.

Guest Rolling Parts

Glenfiddich is my favorite. I highly recommend the tour of the distillery and their aging room. End of the tour was a tasting room. I really did not care all that much for Scotch until I was swigging Glenfiddich up in the highlands...

Guest Rolling Parts
Perfect pilots can drink? wow... Trippy.

Are you serious? I flew some gliders over in Deeside and they had a bar setup in their operations shack on the field! The Scot's are a fun group of people.

And since the first miracle that Jesus did was alcohol then obviously you can be perfect and have a drink! :)

Well, whiskeyfest was downright awesome this past weekend. Got to try a number of very interesting (and expensive) scotches.

I'd have to say the GEM of the johnny walker line is the gold label. I'll take it over green/blue/black anyday. (though for the price, black is a real value)

Some other highly recommendeds:

Lagavulin 16

Ardbeg Corryvreckan

Glenfiddach 18 (I've said that before!)

Glenfarclas 15 (I like it better than the 17)

Tomintoul 14 (next bottle I'll buy, incredible)

Old Pulteney 12

Edited by Drax240z

First time drinker? I would go after a nice blend and see if you like the taste. JW Black Label is not bad for the money or you could try an Irish whiskey like Jameson's which is smoother. From there the sky's the limit.

The single malts (which many of us are talking about) are hit and miss, depending on what your partial to. Some taste sweet while others taste like you're drinking dirt.

Drax, where'd you buy that bottle from?

Edited by ktm
bleh