HybridZ

Megasquirt...hell...

jacob80

You're on a different version of Megasquirt than I am. I suspect if you click the drop down box for Dwell control you'll find an option that "un-greys" the 3 boxes. Leave cranking dwell at 6, change Running dwell to 3.2, and leave Minimum discharge where it is.

I don't think running 4 ms dwell is what caused your driver to burn up, but as we said above, no need to use a longer dwell than required.

What are the other options for the second drop down box "Use: Spark output duty cycle"?

Can someone else running with this version of Megasquirt take a look at their settings?

Fixed duty should only be used with an MSD box or an ignition module with built in dwell control. Normally you should set it to "Dwell control." Running fixed duty with a BIP373 coil output can damage the coil... and with a VB921, it'll damage the VB921.

Funny you mention that, Matt, because in my other post, I DID end up with a bad coil. This resulted in the fuel pump circuit staying powered after the key switch was turned off, then a blown 10 amp fuse inline with the coil positive.

For MSnS/E (MS1 processor) I think that is the latest version.

At some point in the distant future you may want to consider moving to a MS2 processor and the MSII/Extra firmware. But right now don't even think about it! Get what you have working first, and in the process develop your MS knowledge. Adding more bells and whistles isn't going to help you right now :)

For MSnS/E (MS1 processor) I think that is the latest version.

At some point in the distant future you may want to consider moving to a MS2 processor and the MSII/Extra firmware. But right now don't even think about it! Get what you have working first, and in the process develop your MS knowledge. Adding more bells and whistles isn't going to help you right now :)

I've heard that suggestion before. Will I be able to keep my box and PCB and just solder in the different processor?

Edited by jacob80

I've heard that suggestion before. Will I be able to keep my box and PCB and just solder in the different processor?

Since you have the v3.0 pcb already I would just buy the MSII processor daughter card and plug it in. That was my understanding, the v3.0 board can be used with either msI or msII.

Moby is right - I pulled my MS1 processor and installed the MSII. But, and it's a big but, the fuel algorithms are different enough that you have to retune basically from scratch. With the new TunerStudio autotune feature I don't think it's as big of a deal as it used to be.

But jacob80, I wouldn't suggest it until you have the current system stable. Adding more variables is only going to make things tougher.

• Like 1

But jacob80, I wouldn't suggest it until you have the current system stable. Adding more variables is only going to make things tougher.

I second this, I'd just change your dwell settings to dwell control and use the values above.