Body work in progress - Shaving rear, need front end parts ideas

Hugh

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here she is, fresh from the body shop:

backfinsihed1.jpg

You can see some of the imperfections in the epoxy primer coat - but that will all get sanded out when it goes back for paint.

backfinsihed2.jpg

backfinsihed2a.jpg

backfinsihed3.jpg

When I get it on a jack, I'll take pics of the inside and the brace so you can see what they did there.

I really really really want to do the quarters and rockers now... but the body guy recommended we do the floors first. It's not cosmetic, but would end the whole Flintstones thing I have going right now.

Looks much better thumb.gif

When you do finally paint it, are you planning on pulling the motor or at least trying to get some of that green out of the engine bay?

I've had good luck with http://www.motorsportauto.com/ for some of my replacement parts. Fairly cheap and made well enough.

I see where the paint is coming off on the front from where the 240Z badge pins on. I'm planning on smoothing those out on my Z, breaking the tabs off the back of the badges and only doing double sided tape for the badges.

looking good man nice progress keep at it, you might want to consider just cleaning up the quarter panels a bit and putting zg flares it would go good with the wheels too.

I've got the skinny carbon fiber flares to go on the back. I was considering doing the back only, or using 4 skinnies. Haven't settled on that yet.

Mike - Long time - I am planning to replace the hood. The metal one weighs so freaking much compared to the fiberglass or carbon fiber ones. I don't want the bling-bling look, so if I pony up the cash for carbon fiber, it will be a shame to paint it... but that's what I would likely do. It's a good way to drop another 25 or whatever right off the front where it counts the most for me. I'm always keeping that stuff in mind with front end parts. If'n I'm ever gonna get the front wheels off the ground or close.. it's gotta be light.:icon28: (of course this will probably be years from now hahaha)

Cheers. Yeah I'm looking at getting a CF or fiberglass hood too just because of the weight and the rust long term. Leaning more toward the CF just because of my one experience with glass hoods and the ridiculous amount of waves in them. My old GT-R hood was just a 100 dollar yahoo japan auctions pile of garbage though, but the Z hoods are SOoooo long, i'd be very worried about strength and waves. It was so bad that it would have been worth the few hundred extra to get CF and save the money in labor costs at the paint shop to smooth it out...

please tell me you're gonna fix the baby ♥♥♥♥ green engine bay? :-P

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Yes, I want to get rid of all the green in the car... but its soooo superficial right now. I realize a lot of this bodywork is superficial, but its the difference between driving a nice car or driving a beater. Car guys respect my car... but everyone else thinks I'm white trash when they see it. I'd like to clean up the overall appearance before getting into the nitty gritty like the engine bay.

Oh, that does look good!

Dropped the new doors off at the body shop this morning. They're going to remove any surface rust, do the yellow primer, and spray the inside a little to prevent internal rust. My current doors are rusting from the inside out.

Should have yellow doors later in the week!

What are you doing with the signals? If you want 280z signals we might work a trade 280z signals for 240z signals, each individual pays shipping or something. I will have to get a time when I can take mine off or get something for a temp because my 280z is my daily but I want 240z signals and it sounded like you wanted 280z signals. PM me. =P

New doors on - had the body shop remove all the little dings and the little bit of surface rust they had on them.

IMG_8045.jpg

IMG_8046.jpg

IMG_8047.jpg

IMG_8048.jpg

IMG_8050-1.jpg

And the new license plate frame is in place.

The only issue is the gap on the passenger door. I need to adjust it a little, it seems. Maybe just the strike plate needs to go in a little.

Thanks guys!

Funny, now that its two different colors, I've been getting compliments on it everywhere I go. I suppose the "work in progress" appearance is much better than the "beater" appearance. At least it looks like I'm trying.