HybridZ

70z rota wheel fitment help

Yikes.. Dangerous post.

Ok.. im sure the answer must exist here, but ive looked longer than i ever want to be on a computer. seems most cars are modified for larger wheels.. So, im hoping somone can just give me a simple answer here. I did just call 18racing for info and this is. and below is what she said...without certainty.

The Car.

1970 240z with 1" eibach lowering springs, uncut orig body car. already painted, rolling is not an option. stock suspension otherwise.

The wheel im interested in.. 16" rota rbs.

18Racing (Jessica) says I can go with a 16x7 in the front with 4mm offset (sounds right, not worried) and a 16x8" in the rear with a 10mm offset (8", worried) Has someone out there got this exact setup, on a unmodified 240z (other than 1" lowering springs)? Id love to have the staggered look on a stock Z, but not if its going to rub! If so, Id love to see a pic and know what tire size you are running, and if there is ANY rubbing.

Thanks!

I'm running the 15x8 +4 RBs, Tokico springs/HP struts.

I am running a ~1cm spacer [and longer studs] on the fronts, my 225/50/15 Yokohamas would rub the spring perch otherwise.

The backs are fine, and if I could actually find them, I bet I could get a 245 on the back. That might require a spacer though.

I'd go with the 8" rims, if you're going to be spending the money anyways get something that you can fit alot of rubber on. If I were to buy again I would probably do the 16x8s. [To be honest I'll probably go for the 17x9.5s -19 so I can get 'real' tires]

I looked on ebay, then called them. Haven't got exact prices yet. But it will be around $600 shipped. I followed the link you provided, and it was mostly people looking for answers (a 5 year old thread).

Im not hopeful to get 225/50s on it.. maybe 215s. I have a set of 16x7 panaports with 225s on them.. and they rub everywhere. i dunno, maybe that 10 offset is the ticket!?

Yes.. that is the consensus I came to.. But it seems most discussion for these wheels in particular are related to cars that have body modifications. I wish I would have rolled the fenders before I painted it. Not going to chance it now. Ill let this thread roll till tuesday, and then order regardless. Hopefully some one chimes in with this exact setup on a 240.

Well.. I ordered them.. wish I could have had a more definite answer first. So my order details.. (2) 16x7 with a +4 offset for the front.. those will be shippped out immediately.

(2) 16x8 with +10 offset for the rear.. the questionable ones. and of coarse they are on back order for 2 months! the price for all of them shipped? $600. So, we'll anxiously await the 2, then wait for the other 2.. I wish it was the other way around, and they had the 8"s.

So, if youre thinking about new rotas for the new year, better call and see if you can get em.. Ill update with pics in late march or april when I have the other 2 with tires mounted.

Well.. the 16x7's came yesterday.. They are sweet! Im thinking I may call and see if she will sell me another pair of them, and forget about trying to make the 8"s fit in the rear.. Do you think you could get away with a 215 or 225 tire on the rear... without rolling the fenders?

There is some mis-information in this thread. There is a difference between a 70 and a 73's rear suspension due to the wheel being more forward in the wheel well.

Mat, (flatblack) car is a 280 which does not cause an issue, I don't know what the other folks are driving except KTM which his car looks like a 73 but not positive.(nice car BTW)

My car (the Scarab) is a 10/70 build date with Panasports in 16X7 all the way around, 225/50/16 tires, Tokico springs and Illumina struts. The Panasports are 0 offset all the way around and the rear RUBS! It’s harsh at times and causes some "pucker factor" when driving on less than desirable roads.

My former car was a 73 with 17X7 Centerline Azteks, 0 offset, 225/45/17 tires, MS springs, Tokico struts. They did not rub.

My solution on the Scarab is to roll the fenders it can be done with out cracking the paint if you do it correctly. I’m going to be ordering the Eastwood fender roller next week to begin on the project then plan on renting the roller out locally to recoup some of the money from it.

There is some mis-information in this thread. There is a difference between a 70 and a 73's rear suspension due to the wheel being more forward in the wheel well.

Mat, (flatblack) car is a 280 which does not cause an issue, I don't know what the other folks are driving except KTM which his car looks like a 73 but not positive.(nice car BTW)

It's a 1972. The biggest issue with +10 and 8-in. wheels is tire clearance with the spring perch with 245s. A lower profile may have worked and a lower width would have definitely given me more clearance with the perch and fender lip.

If you were to run 225s on the wheel you should not have clearance issues with the spring perch. It's not the wheel that hits but the tire.

As for the fender lip, you may have a small clearance problem as dsommer indicated if you use 8-in. wide wheels. Keep in mind he was using 16x7 0 offset wheels and a 16x8 +10 offset wheel would have the face at the same position as the 16x7 0 offset. Therefore, you may have to roll your fenders with 225s based on dsommer's experience. However, you should not have spring perch issues.

thanks guys.. getting somewhere now.. I called 18racing today (Jessica) informed her that I may want to change my order and just get another pair of 16x7s.. If I understand the last post correctly, then I would think I could run a 215/40 or maybe 50 in the rear with the 8" +10?

16x8+10's are fine in the rear but in the front, you will need a spacer, at least 5mm, possibly 10, depending on your fitments you want.

I personally have the 16x8 rota Grids like the orange Z ^ up there has, and I'm running them with 25mm spacers to fill up my ZG flares Im getting.

Does anyone have pics of 16X8 RB +10mm? I want to order really soon, but for sure want to avoid the curved spokes, preferring the flatter style. It looks like the RB-R achieves this from my searches on this forum, but I would like to compare the two. I've see the +4mm has flatter spokes that I like, but I wonder if the shift of the rim inward would dictate more curved spokes. I tried to get an answer from Kim at Rota Wheels but got a generic answer. I'm trying to avoid the spokes that curve like a banana. That must be to clear big calipers, but that is not a concern to me.