HybridZ

L28et For Under 1500?

Killerpoon

I just wanna know if its possible to build a 225-250hp l28et for 1500 dollars using a large ssalvage yard and some budget solutions here and there to get to that range , a n/a build of that power has shown to become highly expensive in my forum searches and i've heard plenty of tips here and there but i just wanna know can it be done for a Final price under 1500 and are internals essential ? and if it is do-able what are the key components that will be needed to get me there . sorry if i sound like a cheap ass lol , i already picked up a 60mm tb and i'm getting ready for the intake work but i needa get more info on a build of this price range before i consider attempting btw its a 4sp manual. i tried searching a couple different ways and i was getting search overload . i'm sure if this is possible it'll bring some attention for everyone and prove as a good starter point for newcomers , a turbo is only 50 dollars at this salvage yard and manifolds are around the same price." stock turbo system equipment that is"

The factory long block is good to the 18psi range from what I've seen with good tuning. Some have run upwards of 25psi of boost on them, but at that level any flaw in your tuning is going to make itself obvious really quickly in the form of a big boom!

With that said, your goals of 250hp should be easily attainable within your budget, and aftermarket internals are not necessary ;)

I would be looking for a junkyard long block (or an entire zxt parts car/pull-out) to freshen up. ie. new gasket set with a new head gasket, new water pump, new oil pump, new timing set, and a quick repaint to make everything look nice. Valve stem seals and a valve job for the head - would also be a good time for a new bumpstick if you so chose!

Grab some of the nicer quality knock off stuff from eBay to work with (BOV, intercooler) Look around to see what people have had success with and what they haven't.

For the turbo I would look at running an hy or other holset from a dodge turbo diesel, or a garrett from a ford turbo diesel. Many members here have had quite a bit of success with the holset stuff in the past.

A stock intake with a 60mm throttle body from a 240sx should be plenty and play well with an aftermarket EMS.

Fuel would come from a set of 440cc supra injectors (or similar, there are a few options) and a pallnet fuel rail.

Control it all with Megasquirt and Spark and you're really looking at a potent combo for a "junkyard l series"! ;)

Take a look at what jc058625 has recently done here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=158525

He does have a nicer ball-bearing turbonetics turbo, but his set-up shares a lot with the idea I've suggested above.

Hopefully this gets you going in the right direction :)

Then again, this should be putting out more than 225-250 hp...

thanks alot that was exactly what i was looking for , i even found a couple reference build videos , i still dont know how to do that 60mm TB cable to solid linkage towers conversion . i got a 60mm off an s14 and but the conversions missing details and i have no idea what that big bulk of metal thats between the air filter box and the TB . it looks restrictive either way . any ways to do away with it?

thanks alot that was exactly what i was looking for , i even found a couple reference build videos , i still dont know how to do that 60mm TB cable to solid linkage towers conversion . i got a 60mm off an s14 and but the conversions missing details and i have no idea what that big bulk of metal thats between the air filter box and the TB . it looks restrictive either way . any ways to do away with it?

there is no need for the 60mm tb at those hp levels.

1. Take junkyard l28e(t)

2. Add MSnS

3. Add wideband

4. Free flowing exhaust

5. intercooler

6. BOOST!!

Factory suporting component should be good for 275whp.....

well i already picked it up , i'm all over the rest of that process though , no need to run a small TB if i got a bigger one right? lil extra air supposedly helps with throttle response plus the stock unit is wayyyyyy bulky

?ui=2&ik=e6455f38c1&view=att&th=1267d120183446ee&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_g51se0mw0&zw the circled part is of course not the TB but it is a part i wanted to do away with if i can

gotcha , i'm saying that i already have the 60mm TB and wish to get some different variations of how do it maybe including one on how to get rid of some of the linkage towers because they are so damn stiff and makes the pedal blurp onto the gas because of it, unlike with the throttle by wire

and do you happen to know what that [art in question was?

gotcha , i'm saying that i already have the 60mm TB and wish to get some different variations of how do it maybe including one on how to get rid of some of the linkage towers because they are so damn stiff and makes the pedal blurp onto the gas because of it, unlike with the throttle by wire

and do you happen to know what that [art in question was?

wd40 will fix that. Worst case take them apart and sand the corrosion off them.

whats cheaper ? turboing a l28e or buying the entire setup out've another car i'm thinking the first since its got n42 heads which supposedly react well to fairly typical amounts of boost like 12-16lbs

I got my motor out of a 280zxt originally. Bought the whole car for $800 and drove it home. Parted out what i did not need. Made money on turboing my car.