HybridZ

240z reinforced weight vs 280z

Guest Speaker

Guest Speaker

would a 240z end up weighing the same as a 280z if i had to reinforce the frame/chassis to accept a 400ft/lb torque motor?

how much would i need to reinforce the 280z vs the 240z? which would weigh less after the deal is done?

thanks

------------------

------------------------

looking at a 240Z V8

conversion project

I think its closer to 725 lbs actually. The 240z is supposed to weigh 2355lbs, the 280z is supposed to be 3075lbs I think...

You could DEFINATELY get the 240z stiffer and stronger than the 280z with 725lbs to work with.

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

http://members.home.net/drax77/newpage.html

Heh, and wouldn't you just end up needing to strengthen the later chassis too anyway?

I'm not too worried about saving weight myself, I'll build it stiff and strong, be under 3Klbs, and be able to handle most of the punks that pull up next to me just fine. Hope it handles well on a track too but 99% of th edriving will be on public roads (shrug).

Guest Speaker

yes but i want to be able to beat almost anybody... a year ago... running 12s on an import here in mobile would be fast...

but now J Taylor has his Turbo Z

jon you should be running 11s if you could hook (and not have a transmission blow up)

what the hell am i talkin about? my auto blew up on me in my 300z hehehe

and there's Chris w/ Rx-7 T2 w/ T04E ball-bearing turbo... he's supposed to be fast...

and there's several other guys too...

i want to be able to put the vanity tag:

VIPRETR or 8URVIPR

and being confident enough that i'd hand one its ass biggrin.gif

yeah i got a lot of work... oh well... lots of time.. being 20 has its benefits

------------------

------------------------

looking at a 240Z V8

conversion project

speaker: We'll see what kinda times the Z will get tomorrow night. I've been in Auburn all week hanging outand heading to the 1/4 track tomorrow night on the way home in MOntgomery. I figure it should run at least mid 12's at 115 or better on the street tires. I'll be back in Mobile about 1 or 2 tomorrow night and will let you know if you are out.

JT

------------------

1978 280z with 280zx turbo motor. Big turbo, big intercooler, and alotta boost. :) 8.4 @ 90 1/8 mile with a bad bad traction problem.

1984 300zx turbo....little turbo, no intercooler, and some boost....13.96 @ 98.9

http://turbotaylor.homestead.com/files/index.html

Once the 280 and 240 are stripped down to the shell, the difference in weight is very small - maybe 100-150 lbs. 280's weigh more mostly because of the added peripheral components, of which the bumpers are the most obvious (but probably not the most significant).

My 280-based big block car weighs 2725 lbs, and that's with an engine that's 250 lbs heavier than the L6, 100+ lbs of roll cage material, 100lb transmission and 40 lb bellhousing. But it also has a lot of sheet metal removed. Stock weight for 280's is ~2850, not 3075.

Guest Fast Frog

Right on Michael!!

The stock 280Z weighs from 2775-2850 lbs depending upon options(auto tranny and AC increase wt.). The 75 & 76 bumpers and hardware weigh 125lbs+/-. 77 & 78 bumpers and hardware weigh 105lbs+/-. My 76Z with no bumpers, no spare tire, no jack assembly but with alloy whls with turbo and intercooler weighed 2640lbs. The same car with a 383 and alum hds and intake with Paxton SC weighs 2650lbs.

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited December 04, 2000).]