HybridZ

New to the sbc game, Possible Blue pearl?

The owner of this 5/78 280Z got realy desperate as he was in WAY over his head. I got it for 1500.00. Its in rough shape but some elbow grease goes along way!!! I was told by The z man of washington that it MIGHT be a blue pearl. I don't know how to properly identify this car. The original paint is a blue pearl under the carpet. The engine/trans is numbers matching 327 sbc. Has a 3 speed auto and a 3500 stall converter. I have all the paperwork on the engine build. The install LOOKS to be half a$$ at best. The speedo doesnt work and the interior needs help. The car also comes with a 11.9 second 1/4 time slip from Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA. The Hoosier slicks are shot, dry rot from hell. size 245 65 14. Its a serious kick in the butt to drive!!!! Has a dyno slip printout says 400 rwhp. I wont know until I get the car to Dave at Fairlady motor Z in Tacoma, WA.

100_2891.jpg

100_2890.jpg

It looks like a Hooker or Scarab to me too. I had that setup before I intalled my LT1 with JTR mounts. Your distributor is very far forward, with the JTR mounts it would actually be a bit under your hood latch. If you look at your motor mounts you will see they are standard Chevy mounts bolted directly to the Datsun crossmember stands. JTR mounts have aluminum setback plates and thick spacers in addition to the Chevy mounts.

Curious, How can you folks tell what motor mount is used? What specific positioning gives it away? Someone on here told me mine looks to be a hooker/scarab mount also.

If you can put your finger between the dizzy and the firewall it's JTR. If you can put your fist in there it's Scarab/Hooker.

This is a good picture for gauging the dizzy location. Another method is looking at the relationship of the valve covers to the strut towers. With a JTR mount the towers just about line up wth the front of the covers. With a Scarab/Hooker the towers are at about the #3/#4 spark plugs.

Black pearl was wat I ment, my bad. I was stuck on the paint code when I posted.

Has the long tube Hookers. Looks like the steering shaft passes between the #1 and #3 pipe. First thing is to re-locate the fuel line, its way too close to the #4 & 6 pipe.

Then its fix the front wire loom. Its worth the effort. Definitely going to take a year to clean this one up...