HybridZ

WTT: 04 Subaru STi for RB S30 Project

Guest amnesiac

Guest amnesiac

My wife and I have been talking over the idea of trading out my STi + cash for a Datsun Z project. I have been a longstanding admirer of the Fairlady platform and would love to pick up a clean restored and swapped S30. My STi has been my daily driver and absolutely fantastic. It is lightly but well modified with an emphasis placed on shedding weight, using the nicest and rarest parts available, and responsibly adding power with reliability as the key focus.

A few things to note, I am looking for an extremely clean finished or largely finished project. I would prefer an RB25 or RB26 but am not absolutely inflexible on it. I am also looking for a fairly if not completely stock RB, not a hugely powerful single turbo monster. An NA build would actually be ideal but again not necessary. I am looking for a trade + cash but have no real standard for how much money I am looking for, rather just an appropriate amount for both vehicles [ie. I'm not interested in a clean decently running stock 240z for my car + $2300. Be respectful and realistic and I will do the same.]

For those interested in my car I will be happy to email more pictures, just send me an email at mrandallrhodes@gmail.com. I am posting a mod list below to give some insight, I also have a complete list with the exact mileage of each part on the car, as well as the exact weight of each part and the resulting weight loss or gain to the project.

Mod List:

Enigine

-ARC Super Induction Box

-ARC Titanium Pulley Cover

-ARC Titanium Radiator Cover

-C-West Carbon Fiber MAF Cover

-Cobb Access Port

-Cusco Heat Sheild

-NRG Carbon Fiber Hood Dampers

-Powerhouse Amuse R1 Extra Titan Exhaust

-Prova Brake Cap

-Prova Carbon Fiber Air Duct

-Prova Clutch Cap

-TopSpeed Protune 296 AWHP / 324 AWTQ

-Zero/Sports Catted Downpipe

-Zero/Sports Intake Pipe Kit

Drivetrain

-Cusco Hardened Motor Mount

-Cusco Hardened Transmission Mount

Exterior

-Chargespeed Carbon Fiber Type 1 Front Lip

-JDM Number Plates

-JDM Wakaba Beginner Driver Badge

-STi JDM Clear Headlights

-STi JDM Clear Side Markers

-STi JDM De-badged Trunk

-STi JDM Rain Guards

-Subaru OEM WRX Side Skirts

Interior

-ATI Gauge Pod

-Autospeed Dead Pedal

-Bride FO Seat Rail

-Bride Zeta II Driver's Seat

-Cusco E Con Dampening Controller

-Defi BF Amber Boost Gague

-Defi BF Amber EGT Gauge

-Defi BF Amber Oil Pressure Gauge

-Defi Link Control Unit II

-HKS Kansai Service Low Position Seat Rail

-Nardi Sport Rally Deep Cone 350mm Steering Wheel

-STi JDM Auto Intercooler Switch

-STi JDM Door Sills

-STi JDM Floor Mats

-STi JDM S203 Red Hazard Button

-STi JDM Spec C 12L Intercooler Tank

-STi JDM Spec C Carpet

-STi JDM Spec C Door Cards

-STi JDM Spec C Front Seats

-STi JDM Spec C Rear Seats

-Zero/Sports Formula Starter Kit

Braking

-Cusco Master Cylinder Brace

-Hawk HPS Pads [Front]

-Hawk HPS Pads [Rear]

Suspension

-Cobb Front Endlinks

-Cobb Rear Endlinks

-Cusco Front Strut Tower Bar [Titanium]

-Cusco Front Sway Bar [22mm]

-Cusco Rear Strut Tower Bar

-Cusco Rear Sway Bar [Adjustable]

-Cusco Zero-2E Coilovers

-STi JDM Spec C Forged Aluminum Front Control Arms

-STi JDM Trailing Arms

Wheel / Tire

-Falken RT-615 255/40/17

-Project Kics R40 Neo Chro Lug Nuts

-Yokohama Original Wheel Design Advan Racing Center Caps

-Yokohama Original Wheel Design Advan Racing RG 17x8.5

Guest amnesiac
Throw some interior and engine shots up too. Good luck with your Scoob.

Here ya go

3875938149_c18cb75105.jpg

4305193606_d0b5f691a2.jpg

3257302856_0cca8a74de.jpg

Sorry that last one is kinda arty, i will get straightforward pics for those serioulsy interested.

Some really important stuff I forgot to include in the first post. At the end of December a tree limb went through the roof of my garage above the car. It DID NOT hit the car but it did cover it with debris, thus the paint is pretty much a loss. There are a few dents to the roof and hood as well but its not that bad, in fact that entire photo set is after the damage. Because of this the car will be going in to my body shop for a complete respray and new front and rear window glass. I am also changing the rear spoiler to a smaller model from the Subaru S203 seen here:

4156325086_cff4829ccf.jpg

I am planning to respray the car in a dark grey as well. IF you decide you want the car before mid Febraury - beginning March which is when the car should go in, I have no problems altering this. You can either keep the stock spoiler or pick whatever color you would like to have it painted, etc. I'm very open to helping when and where I can. Lastly, unless they are worth money to you, I plan to use the Bride, Takata, and Nardi wheel [which is not installed yet] in the Datsun, so those are probably not for sale with the car. The stock drivers belt is obviously present and I have the drivers side Spec C seat complete with and HKS Kansai Service Rail sitting in my office.

Nice car. Well I do not have a 240. But I do have a straight stock RB25det off of a Nissan stagea 1997 43k off of clip. The only thing it is missing is that crappy stock turbo. I sold it. Comes with a rear sump custom pan, ecu, harness, greddy style intake polished, stock intake and mani as well. All you would need is a turbo of your choice. You could use the rear sump pan or sell it and get the stock pan for like 119 on ebay.

I was putting it in a 300zx but I just decided it is time for a newer car. If you like 300 check out mine. All you need to mount it with this engine is custom mounts or fab your own. Check out my auction it does have some nice upgrades that you could use or sell. Just an idea. A Z with a RB would be worth more than a 240. I also have the RB Bell housing to mount the RB tranny to the z transmission. Tran was rebuilt in 2005 only about 15 k since no shifting issues of any kind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320482851753&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

• 2 weeks later...
Guest amnesiac

Nice car. Don't forget to update your location on where you live. What is the value of the car? Are you spending money out of pocket for the paint job?

Thanks for the compliment! I'm in Montgomery, Alabama but I certainly don't mind driving a ways for a solid car. As for the value of the car, as I'm sure you know, that's hard on anything modified. A fairly nice stock 04 STi brings around $18,000. Of course I am not looking to get back what I put in, thats just part of it, but the car is worth more than that. It will have new paint, new glass, and many rare and valuable parts. The wheels alone are iconic, discontinued, the only set of silvers in the US, and I have all 5. The exhaust is titanium art, and also the only one in the country. The interior, as you see, is from the Spec C, substantially lighter than stock, much more attractive IMHO, one of 500 in the world, and is the correct 04 year set. These are just a few high points to support why I feel the car is worth more than the "going rate." Of course I also doubt many other people have documentation on the exact mileage for their parts as well as the weight of those parts.

As for how much I am looking to get for the car, honestly I wish to be flexible based on the trade. :)

Sick car man, I've been into Subies for a while and had plans on purchasing a WRX for sometime but it didn't work out for me at the time. I did a great deal of research and reading for a couple years only to not get my WRX. But I can vouch for this car, it is definitely a well done STi. I think I may have seen it on Nasioc even. Glws man and good luck on getting your Z.

Guest amnesiac

Sick car man, I've been into Subies for a while and had plans on purchasing a WRX for sometime but it didn't work out for me at the time. I did a great deal of research and reading for a couple years only to not get my WRX. But I can vouch for this car, it is definitely a well done STi. I think I may have seen it on Nasioc even. Glws man and good luck on getting your Z.

Thanks for your kind words! Bump for interest.

• 1 month later...

No offense.. but I think it would be of some benefit to find a clean 240z and a RB front clip, McKinney's motor mount kit for a RB and drop it off to a shop and have them do the work.

I mean a stock 2004 Sti at the lowest is around $20k... plus all of your mods...

You can easily build a 240z with an RB and have a shop do all the work for WELL under that.

• 4 weeks later...

No offense.. but I think it would be of some benefit to find a clean 240z and a RB front clip, McKinney's motor mount kit for a RB and drop it off to a shop and have them do the work.

I mean a stock 2004 Sti at the lowest is around $20k... plus all of your mods...

You can easily build a 240z with an RB and have a shop do all the work for WELL under that.

I would be very careful with this thought process. I don't totally disagree, but I think its too general of a statement. You can cut cost if you do the swap all stock with zero upgrades, but keep in mind lot's of us with the RB swap have done motor mods/upgrades, custom tuning, brakes, suspension, chassis and body mods that are anything but cheap. You cannot compare a stock body and weather aged chassis that may have questionable structural issues and rust to one that has been taken down to bare metal, repainted with a reinforced chassis. Some have $10K-$20K in the motor before even dropping it in the car. Again, you can use all used parts and not touch a used motor and spend substantially less. Point being there is a wide range of how much money are in these swaps. And if its going to be totally stock then is it even worth the money when a mildly built up L28ET can perform arguably as well for less?

Just my .02 but it all depends on what you want in the end.

Good luck.

I agree with you. I figured finding a fairly clean 240z for around $5,000 plus $15,000 in labor and parts for the RB swap is a probably a good middle of the road guestimate. But your right, chassis reinforcement, paint and rust repair and suspension upgrades, etc will easily add up well over $20,000