HybridZ

Alternate HVAC controls in a 280

wal280z

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking out loud, but has anybody considered going with modern all electric controls? I had to drive a rental Nissan Quest recently, and was impressed with how nice and tidy the A/C controls were...

QuestAC.jpg

I've got no idea about the rest of the A/C components, but it might be worth looking at.

Just thinking out loud, but has anybody considered going with modern all electric controls? I had to drive a rental Nissan Quest recently, and was impressed with how nice and tidy the A/C controls were...

I am picking up where Nismo280zEd left off (I got his car and parts this month) and plan on finishing what he started. He picked up a fully electric control unit, fan, compressor unit, and all the parts needed to graft it in. The car is gutted right now and I am working on fabrication of this AC system after I get it off of jack stands. So far the biggest problem I have run into is mounting the modern fan box without destroying the stock look of the interior. I love the Z's dash and I do not have the heart to cut it up.

Hopefully within the month I will have an update.

P.S. I know that it possible to wire up the stock fan to this control and still might do that. Just have not put the wrench time into it yet.

QuestAC.jpg

I've got no idea about the rest of the A/C components, but it might be worth looking at.

Thanks for the alternative options.

FWIW - the control unit in post #9 is fully electronic AND fits in the original bezel location.

• 4 months later...

I, too, am interested as I am planning on doing a complete modernized fit with electronic actuated doors on the system once my fiberglass dash is complete.  I'm also planning on designing mine more like a 370z with the three simple knobs at the bottom of the center dash, though.  A/c units...  darn those complicated things.  I plan on just fabricating everything under the dash for my unit custom, as I've shortened the dash space by about 3 inches.  Yeah, it's gonna hurt...