HybridZ

Alternate HVAC controls in a 280

wal280z

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subscribed ! great find . I would check the earlier (93 and less) honda accords heater/ac unit if i reacall from the one i had they were pretty small in size but they were electric/mech controlled .

I'm actually installing a 94 maxima DCC in the Z. Actually, the entire system. Compressor, coil, fan, etc. I want to freeze in my Z, however it's the last project on my list to complete. Good luck with the DCC from a 240sx, I would recomend using one available in the states to make it easier to wire and get parts.

-Ed

• 2 months later...

I'm actually installing a 94 maxima DCC in the Z. Actually, the entire system. Compressor, coil, fan, etc. I want to freeze in my Z, however it's the last project on my list to complete. Good luck with the DCC from a 240sx, I would recomend using one available in the states to make it easier to wire and get parts.

-Ed

Any update on the install?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, I am working on this very idea for my car, as well. I'm interested to see how it all works out for you guys.

On the Expansion Valve being NLA, there is a directly replacement. I did some research and you can get an Expansion Valve

(4 Seasons part # 38608)

that can be picked up for less than $30. Hope that helps.

I too am working on something along these lines but still using the stock 280z (aka my 260z downunder) heater/blower setup with some mods. Today I picked up a control panel from our 90's Maxima J30, the actuators and cut the basics out of the loom before leaving the pick-a-part wrecker locally.

My aim is you use Maxima control panel which has a cable for the temp/tap and electronic actuators for all other leavers/vent/def configs. Thus allowing me to relocate the heater controls to were the radio would normally go. I can then use the old space for some extra gauges and switches/warning lights for my track/road car - want to keep the stock heater for when I am using it on the roads etc. I believe the Maxima we get here has the same heater control/actuators as the early 90's 240sx (S13) you guys got.

Once I work things out I will post more details.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone located a suitable A/C control system and air handler for our beloved S30s? I have factory air, and my condenser/compressor are working just fine. I just want to replace the control panel, blower motor, and air handler/blend door assembly (in other words, everything on the passenger side of the firewall).

Is the 1993-95 Nissan Altima system a possibility? I don't mind rerouting the air ducting inside the dash, and I don't mind making a custom control panel faceplate. But I don't know if the Altima's air handler is 100% electric with stepper motors, or whether it uses vacuum lines. My old vacuum hoses keep splitting and slipping off connectors, and I am ready to upgrade!!!

Has anyone located a suitable A/C control system and air handler for our beloved S30s? I have factory air, and my condenser/compressor are working just fine. I just want to replace the control panel, blower motor, and air handler/blend door assembly (in other words, everything on the passenger side of the firewall).

Is the 1993-95 Nissan Altima system a possibility? I don't mind rerouting the air ducting inside the dash, and I don't mind making a custom control panel faceplate. But I don't know if the Altima's air handler is 100% electric with stepper motors, or whether it uses vacuum lines. My old vacuum hoses keep splitting and slipping off connectors, and I am ready to upgrade!!!

My apoligies in my delayed response. As far as the DCC units, I believe someone has started a seperate thread on the functionality of those.

The Maxima control panel mentioned earlier FITS. I'm not saying it WORKS, but that is due to my delay in additional research.

I did not achive success on the Altima system, basically due to the conflict with the transmission tunnel.

The Mazda RX7 (87) control panel also FITS, however, you really gotta love the hot orange symbols on that, also, it is completely electrical. No cable operation for vents, temp or recirc. Only saying that if someone else is wanting a project.

Right now there is a subie WRX in the j/y that I need to pull the dash and do some measuring. It is also fully electric. The vintage air unit looks promising, as well as a custom fabbed evap / heater core box that flows into the S2000 air management unit.

Interested in hearing more about the Maxima option. Is it true that our S13 240sx = the southerners' Maxima? I like the idea of cable + electronic, or all-electronic. I REALLY wish I could use the controls out of the new Altimas, but even the manual controlled systems have all sorts of LAN connections and computers.

Interested in hearing more about the Maxima option. Is it true that our S13 240sx = the southerners' Maxima? I like the idea of cable + electronic, or all-electronic. I REALLY wish I could use the controls out of the new Altimas, but even the manual controlled systems have all sorts of LAN connections and computers.

Your S13 240sx = our 180sx or 200sx or Silvia (depending on engine size and if imported from Japan or not) our Maxima that I got the controls from is a J30 the controls look like this (which is the same controls as the S13 I believe)

240parts129db8.jpg

And the maxima looks like this

800px-89-90_Nissan_Maxima.jpg

I have got side tracked on another project on my car but I will get back to this later and post more - I removed the unit like that shown above, the actuators and the parts of the loom I required. These control panels have the ECU/Control module build into it - so the wiring is only power and actuators and Fan etc.

Edited by NZeder

• 4 months later...

Well it has been a while.

It is winter here now and the race season is over so I have been back out to the shed.

I am almost complete with my later model Nissan control conversion. I have mounted the recycle actuator and that works perfect. I have mounted another of the standard recycle actuators on the foot/cabin doors and that works perfect. And I have mounted the standard actuator (which on the donor car does Vent, Vent/foot (aka bi-level), Foot, Foot/Def and Def aka 5 positions) to the standard blend door. I have had to alter the control circuit so the standard actuator works just like the stock cable setup - ie Vent, Bi-Level and full closed. I also had to make my own circuit to control the extra actuator for the foot/cabin door and all works as I want.

I also have another heater control panel that uses an actuator to control the water tap - I am going to give that a go to, but I need to go back to the pick-a-part wrecker and get the AirCon Amplifier as this drives this actuator - I could build my own circuit again as I have that worked out but it might be easier/faster to just use the standard Nissan item.

I will update this post again once that is sorted....watch this space.

Edited by NZeder

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I got the AirCon amplifier that controls the actuator that hooks into the water tap (and the blend/air mixing door on the factory later model Nissan's). I have traced out the wiring and got the actuator working using a cable to open close the stock water tap.

So all actuators are installed/mounted, I need to tidy up the looms for each part then I will paint up the brackets and document the install with pictures and a write up.

Edited by NZeder

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I got the AirCon amplifier that controls the actuator that hooks into the water tap (and the blend/air mixing door on the factory later model Nissan's). I have traced out the wiring and got the actuator working using a cable to open close the stock water tap.

So all actuators are installed/mounted, I need to tidy up the looms for each part then I will paint up the brackets and document the install with pictures and a write up.

Looking forward to the write-up.

After this summer here, I'm seriously considering adding A/C to my 240Z.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to the write-up.

After this summer here, I'm seriously considering adding A/C to my 240Z.

wow 3 weeks and I have not gone out to the shed..... :( can't wait for the weather to warm up a bit here. Well my setup is not for a/c but that should be easy to do if that is what you want. I need to get this job done and ticked off the list.