HybridZ

300zx rotor to hub mounting

I picked up these '88 300zx turbo front hubs to do my 5 lug conversion. But there seems to be something missing here. Isn't there supposed to be some mounting for the rotor to bolt to like the 280Z? If so what is is called, how does in fit onto the hub, or am I just being stupid?

300zx-hub.jpg

GRRRRRRR, looks like I will be having a "talk" with the guy I got these from. Funny, the rear rotros fot right on these, I wonder what I really have!!! Damn, it took forever to find these, 84-89 front hubs are not easy to find.

Thanks.

Those are not the ones.

What 300zx is the one in your pict from? Even though the guy I got mine from is giving my money back he still claims they are for a 88 Turbo 300zx. I thought I read here that all 84-89 5 lug 300zx hubs were the same.

Those are not the ones.

What 300zx are the one in your pict from? Even though the guy I got mine from is giving my money back he still claims they are for a 88 Turbo 300zx. I thought I read here that all 84-89 5 lug 300zx hubs were the same.

No. The 1988 and '89 turbo hubs (and rotors) are different. That's what you got.

I wish I was halfway there. I can't seem to get hold of Ross from MM (like everyone else) so I don't know where I can get my rear stubs modified or get the front brake spacers. But Atlanta is a big place there must be someone here that can do that.

That is the 1984-87 5-lug rotor in the photo. So, you're halfway there.

You can try DP racing, Don's been in the Z business for a LONG LONG time. He's knows his stuff!!! I'm sure he can set you up as far as redrilling and the spacer. But he's here in southern california. Here's his phone number 714-892-1513 and web link. Even though his web page doesn't show them, he's got many different rotor hats in stock. I've been to his shop!!! http://designproductsracing.com/

Thanks. I'll check him out.

You can try DP racing, Don's been in the Z business for a LONG LONG time. He's knows his stuff!!! I'm sure he can set you up as far as redrilling and the spacer. But he's here in southern california. Here's his phone number 717-892-1513 and web link. Even though his web page doesn't show them, he's got many different rotor hats in stock. I've been to his shop!!! http://designproductsracing.com/

I wish I was halfway there. I can't seem to get hold of Ross from MM (like everyone else) so I don't know where I can get my rear stubs modified or get the front brake spacers. But Atlanta is a big place there must be someone here that can do that.

Call up some local machine shops. I had my stubs drilled for $100. When I initially explained what I wanted done, the guy was hesitant and quoted me $140. He actually said it was so simple he'd only charge me $100. lol

Only took him a couple days to get to them and I didn't have to pay shipping for them.

I think I left out the specific years for the Z31 hub in my write up on the different 5 lug swap options. obviously an important factor. I'll have to update that.

and just as an additional reference here is the correct hub. It is pentagonal and not round. Hopefully this is will help someone else from purchasing the wrong hubs.

DSCN1244-1.jpg

The hub comes off of the 84, 85, 86,and maybe the 87 turbo cars. Whatever year they changed to five lug on all z31's(I believe in 87 or 88) I believe the non turbo hubs for those years(~87-89) are the same as the early turbo hubs(84,85,86). I'm not 100% certain though, so maybe a Z31 buff could chime in.

I will try a couple local machine shops first. Did your shop add the extra metal like the MM ones?

The spacers you used are 36MM? I will need to get them made too.

Of course the hubs I got were 88 turbo! I sent them back today.

Call up some local machine shops. I had my stubs drilled for $100. When I initially explained what I wanted done, the guy was hesitant and quoted me $140. He actually said it was so simple he'd only charge me $100. lol

Only took him a couple days to get to them and I didn't have to pay shipping for them.

I think I left out the specific years for the Z31 hub in my write up on the different 5 lug swap options. obviously an important factor. I'll have to update that.

and just as an additional reference here is the correct hub. It is pentagonal and not round. Hopefully this is will help someone else from purchasing the wrong hubs.

DSCN1244-1.jpg

The hub comes off of the 84, 85, 86,and maybe the 87 turbo cars. Whatever year they changed to five lug on all z31's(I believe in 87 or 88) I believe the non turbo hubs for those years(~87-89) are the same as the early turbo hubs(84,85,86). I'm not 100% certain though, so maybe a Z31 buff could chime in.

if im correct, i saw 2 300zx earlier models n/a with the 5 lug hub like 280zcar posted at pick n pull last weekend, i looked at it for a good 15-20 mins. i checked at work and notice the turbo rotors are set up different and the n/a 5 lug has the same 5 tabs for the hub to bolt onto again like 280zcar's. or maybe someone just entered the wrong info into my work computer? the turbo rotors im looking at is perfectly round inside and out without the 5 tabs inside for the hub bolts.

You are correct, early 300zx has the setup similar to 280Z, later turbo models have the round hub with the rotors with no way to bolt the rotor from the rear.

if im correct, i saw 2 300zx earlier models n/a with the 5 lug hub like 280zcar posted at pick n pull last weekend, i looked at it for a good 15-20 mins. i checked at work and notice the turbo rotors are set up different and the n/a 5 lug has the same 5 tabs for the hub to bolt onto again like 280zcar's. or maybe someone just entered the wrong info into my work computer? the turbo rotors im looking at is perfectly round inside and out without the 5 tabs inside for the hub bolts.