HybridZ

Selling a Z CAN be fun! A Short story

ZR8ED

Loads of fun. I swear. As many know. My beast of a Z is for sale, as I am moving on with a new project. (more on that in due time) but back to the fun. I have had it listed on several sites online. I am very interested in selling it, but I'm more interested in finding the right buyer, because as you know, modified cars like mine are not for everyone.

So to keep things simple, I laid out the ad to be fairly rigid by asking for a firm price, and a no trades clause to weed out the tire kickers. Within the Zcar community, I have been more flexible. I would like another clean stock 240-280 with a preference for a near stock 280z in powder blue (long history to that story so I will leave it at that) Any clean Z in totally driveable ready to go condition will be considered, as I want to drive it for a bit, as I plan and organize the project.

Now to my point. I have been getting some great emails/calls. I won't even mention the emails about sending me a money order for 3 times what I'm asking for the car, I just need to cash it and send back the difference. yada yada yada. We all get those. I'm talking about some of the more serious inquiries that want to come out and see the car.

Here are a some of the funnier bits from many emails and different phone conversations. The names and specifics of the conversations have been hidden to protect the stupid.

1:

Caller: Ok how long have you owned the car?

Me: approx 21 years.

Caller: what about the previous owners of the car? How many? Did they have any problems or accidents that you know about?

Me talking to myself in my head: WTF? I’ve had it for 20 plus years and you are worried about previous owners of a 32 year old car?!!!

2:

Caller: So what kind of sound system does it have? How many speakers?

Me talking to myself in my head: This is the 3rd question you could think of to ask me?

3:

Caller: I want to daily drive it. What kind of mileage does it get, and can you drive it in the snow.

4:

Caller: So how fast can it go?

5:

Caller: Will you trade for a motor bike?

6:

Caller: I know it’s the middle of winter, and I only live 2 hours away, but can you bring the car to me so I can check it out?

7:

Emailer: I’ve been doing some research, and the car doesn’t look really modified, would you be willing to reduce your price?

8:

Caller: Oh. I can just insure it under my dad’s insurance. It ain’t no big deal to get it registered/insured. Its old, so it shouldn’t cost me too much.

9:

Emailer: I’ve got a few cars to trade. Will you take them?

10:

Caller: Oh…I don’t want a car that’s been built to go on a track.

11:

Emailer: Can a baby seat fit in it?

12:

Emailer: Are the floors rusty/ok?

Me talking to myself in my head: WTF? The ad clearly lists that I had new floors and frame rails installed!!

13:

Emailer: Is the motor modified?

Me talking to myself in my head: WTF? The ad clearly lists my major mods!

14:

Emailer: I’d love to have this car but my wife would kill me!

Me talking to myself in my head: WTF? Why are you responding to my ad then?

Well that is about it for crazy questions asked. I just wanted to hang up on some of them when they spoke like that. As for the emails. I politely responded saying that I had taken a deposit and the car was sold.

Geez. I didn’t know selling a car could be this much fun at times, though I wish I wasn’t so picky about who buys my precious one of kind Z. But I am!

Serious inquiries only please. Special consideration for Hybridz members.

My Car ad

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=157655

• Administrators

Is that the numbers matching V6 for that car?

How much effort is involved to convert it to RWD? I have seen a couple of these converted to RWD and they make for sik mad drift units yo...

Is that factory Nissan aftermarket EFI?

Hybrid Turbo? Do you have an Exhaust driven Turbo to include with the sale? I have heard those electric/Hybrid Turbo's are not very efficient.

Does it make that "pooosh" sound when you let off the gas? Dad told me that means it is a race engine with high compression pistons and that noise is the pistons releasing compression ratio so you can use regular unleaded.

Mom says I can have a car when I move out. My 32nd birthday is coming up, Mom says I probably should have my own place by then. I could come over and drive your car then ok?

I am a true car guy. Been drawing cars since I was 5, so I know a real car when I see it. Can I come see your car at your house?

:lmao:

Guest Rolling Parts

LOL, those are real common. eBay is also a fun read on older cars.

I've actually refused a cash sale once because my conscience would not let me sell it to a 16 year-old driver who "wanted to street race".

Scott,

It is normal. I am also in Toronto, and I get tons of weird offers. The best were an aquarium offer, and 3 leather jackets from another guy. I should have replied; 5 leather jackets and you get the car!!

I hate selling cars, don't spend too much time with people you clearly see the serious buyers, put time on those. Also, good luck, the market for these cars up here is very limited.

Maybe I should put an offer, I could be on that list! -

Dayz

Another excellent source of amusement is to peruse ads on Craigslist. It is utterly astonishing, to the uninitiated, how poorly people write, and to ponder the limits of their vocabularies!

There is also an interesting trend: the more expensive the car, the better the writing!

My favorites:

"... needs fixed", "... needs gone"; missing "to be".

"it is blue in color"; as opposed to blue in texture?

I won't even begin to list the snippets of spelling creativity...