HybridZ

Seat swap list for s30's

gvincent

• 2 weeks later...

Few pictures of my 78 with Corbeau FX1 Pro's installed.

I had to section the tunnel on the DS, and clearance with a BFH on the pass side.

IMG_20140511_182611_830_zpssk8hcthp.jpg

I (heavily) modified some 4th gen F body sliders for the drivers seat, to get some adjustability. I played around with it and mounted it with 15* of layback.

IMG_20140512_213058_098_zpsyxg0j58w.jpg

IMG_20140512_213155_982_zpsbby6yyue.jpg

A little cozy, but not terrible.

IMG_20140515_214613_131_zpsi8gnyk11.jpg

Passengers seat outer brackets. I used some pre-cut brackets from speedwaymotors.com and trimmed them to fit. PN 917-20381

IMG_20140515_214627_015_zpstkcvi9sl.jpg

For these, I plated the floor with 1/8" plate, and thru bolted.

For the inners on the pass side I plated the tunnel and used one speedway bracket (rear) and 2 pieces of 1/8" x 2" angle iron (front)

A little tough to see, but I took my e brake handle off, and trimmed the horizontal portion because it would have worn out the seat.  I also removed the e brake light switch, but have yet to put the cover back over the tunnel hole.

IMG_20140515_214714_296_zpsyg1ent1r.jpg

Finished installing.

IMG_20140515_214801_791_zpshow1pvkr.jpg

Here is how much room there is from the shoulder bolster to door cards. Doors don't hit them at all!

IMG_20140513_220201_552_zpsbqls14n8.jpg

The seats sit directly over the new frame rails I installed, and are possibly a little to the inboard of the car off center in the "tub". Still very comfortable to reach all controls.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to share the recent discovery of another user.  Seats out of a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire fit phenomenally well once the cat-hump is taken care of.  Using some 3" flat bar and using the stock seat sliders results in what I think will be a great seating position.  Original post is found in this build thread

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/116675-78-280z-50-ford-t5-build/ 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok so what i got so far from this thread is with no tunnel bashing we can fit 21.5 inches at the ears and it wont hit the door .....but with tunnel bashing we can almost get away with 23 inches at the ears according to sunny z post above as fx1 pros are 22.5 inches wide at the ears according to its dimension chart.....

So with the tunnel bashing, that opens up alot more options .......i am going to try fitting bride zeta III type xl as there dimensions are pretty close to the corbeau fx1 pro.....

hopefully this work.....

Edited by theatriks

I'm not sure from what I'm reading 17.5 inch max in a 280 without tunnel bashing and I'm not sure how much you gain with the smash ...and I think in this thread or another it states the 240z can get 20 inches at rear base ....so maybe that's where you would end up with the smash .....idk I want buckets ...bride / recaro but the ones that are small enough to fit have too short of a harness measurement for me .......the zeta III type XL measurement wise fir me perfectly but might be to wide for my 260z ....won't know until I try .

I didn't see anyone say 240sx seats. I installed a buddy club fixed back seat in my Z but my passenger seat always looked terrible.. Ripped, faded and the foam in the seat was worn down. So i picked up a seat from my friend who was parting out his 240sx. I believe it was a 91. Any way the install was very easy and the fit is perfect. The only tools I used were sockets/ wrenches, pliers/dikes, and a screw gun to drill new holes. 

Im going to try to explain how I did it because unfortunately I did not take photos at the time..

What I did was I used the stock 280z seat frame. So the bottom half with the hinges attached. I removed the bottom foam and springs. Then I took apart the 240sx seat and removed the bottom foam, and the seat back from the 240sx frame. To mount the 240sx back onto the 280z hinges you need to drill a hole. The hinges have two holes on each side for the seat to mount, one upper and one lower. I mounted the back of the 240sx seat to the 280z frame using the bottom holes on the frame (they match the bottom holes on the 240sx seat back as well). Then I positioned the seat back to the position I wanted and drilled holes for the top bolts. With the seat back in position I then mounted the 240sx seat bottom to the 280z frame using exsisting bolt holes and one custom bracket. And thats pretty much it. It took me about 2 hours to do.  

The seat is extremely comfortable, and holds you in place when going through the canyon (my girlfriend is very happy about that)

Here is a photo of the finished product, please excuse the mess.

post-27559-0-57506300-1418915523_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Can you measure from where you sit on the seat(where the seat bottom meets the seat back) vertically plumb to the roof with the seat all the way back? I see people put seats in but they put them in so high someone over 6' wouldn't be able to drive the car without their head being in the roof. I like those sparcos and would like to use them if I can fit in the car with a helmet on. Also did you get rid of the stock seatbelt?

Edited by socorob

So I myself are 6 ft tall, I removed the rear seat mounting brackets and nut and bolted the rear seat slider. I will be using a 4pt harness so will no longer be utilizing the oe seatbelts. With the seat all the way back is roughly 37". With the seat completely back my arms are almost straight holding the steering wheel. Take in consideration that I have a Nrg quick release hub and adaptor. But I installed the cage my self the first time and it was a no go, because I didn't have the capability makes bends. Will try to post a few pics later on the day.

Darek

• 2 weeks later...

Any pics of the underneath of the seats prior to installation? Im having a HELL of a time getting my damned R100's to fit... I bought Sparco brackets too and they're next to useless. Losing my mind. What year is your car? You left the front seat bracket on the floor but removed just the rear? Sounds odd. 

Edited by thedarkie

• 1 month later...

Just installed a pair of Smart Car seats in my 280z

They are only 19" wide and gave me plenty of room

Used the 280z sliders.

ritrebor

Of course those would fit, great idea.  How do you like them?  How did you attach the 280Z sliders?  Are you sitting closer or farther from the floor? - I need to retain headroom for a helmet...

Hi,

I just bought a 1978 280z. I have seats from a 1993 Z-32.I really like these seats and since the original seats are Shot. I thought these would make a nice update as far as comfort and look. Has anybody ever fit these into a 78 Z? I COULD USE SOME ADVICE.