HybridZ

Seat swap list for s30's

gvincent

I installed VW Jetta VR6 seats. PITA but they look and feel great. They sit about 1" higher...I can still fit with my helmet on. I have about 3-4" headroom without the helmet. I'm thinking about modifying the rear seat mount to gain my inch back. I did have to modify the trans-cat hump as mine is a late 260, same body as the 280.

post-11707-078877500 1314897656_thumb.jpg

post-11707-098928500 1314897677_thumb.jpg

post-11707-081701800 1314898080_thumb.jpg

post-11707-088173500 1314898110_thumb.jpg

Edited by 30 ounce

What year Jetta?

they look great!

How much modification did you do to the tunnel hump, cut remove and weld back in or the Big Hammer method?

Pics of the modified hump would be nice

Thanks for posting this on the thread, we need all the seat installs we can find for the 280Z, and the late 260Z which I didn't know had the hump also.

Greg

I installed VW Jetta VR6 seats. PITA but they look and feel great. They sit about 1" higher...I can still fit with my helmet on. I have about 3-4" headroom without the helmet. I'm thinking about modifying the rear seat mount to gain my inch back. I did have to modify the trans-cat hump as mine is a late 260, same body as the 280.

I think they came out of a 2001 Jetta VR6. They made them from '97-05 I think. The trans-cat hump was cut and a new piece formed and welded. I painted it with undercoating on both sides wich is why it looks all crinkly. All the VW mouting hardware was removed and I welded four tabs in the corners & drilled for the stock rails to fit. Also had to notch a space for the stock seat adjuster to fit in the seat pan. It was more difficult than I expected but have to get the seat rails as low as possible. ALL in all it is doable and I'm glad I did it. :)

post-11707-014446800 1314939508_thumb.jpg

post-11707-033938100 1314939532_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey guys just thought I would share my discovery, well maybe a discovery, I just bought a set Sparco Sprint V's and they fit perfect in my 77. No tunnel or hump bashing required. I was skeptical they were going to fit because Sparco's website says the width of this is seat 20.2 inches, but when I bought these I measured them first and the width of the seat at its base is only 16 inches so ignore what sparco's website says, these fit perfect and actually have some room to spare, i'll post pics tomorrow when there is enough light to see, I have two seats by the way neither have ever been mounted and I am selling one of them, it's in the classifieds

Hey guys just thought I would share my discovery, well maybe a discovery, I just bought a set Sparco Sprint V's and they fit perfect in my 77. No tunnel or hump bashing required. I was skeptical they were going to fit because Sparco's website says the width of this is seat 20.2 inches, but when I bought these I measured them first and the width of the seat at its base is only 16 inches so ignore what sparco's website says, these fit perfect and actually have some room to spare, i'll post pics tomorrow when there is enough light to see, I have two seats by the way neither have ever been mounted and I am selling one of them, it's in the classifieds

post-5680-008651400 1321926416_thumb.jpg

post-5680-022126200 1321926430_thumb.jpg

post-5680-040076600 1321926445_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They work.

IMG_0127.jpg

Those are different Recaros. I had a pair like that in my 87 z31 and I got them out of a Lumina. I have a pair of 350z seats in my s30 now but just picked up a pair of these vw recaros. They came in the mk1 & mk2 Vw's http://www.vadriven.com/forums/interior-electrical-car-stereo-74/vw-gti-16v-recaro-seats-334588/

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if the acura integra mid 90's up to before the rsx seats fit? I would like put DC2 recaros in my z. I think they would fit I read on some civic forum that they have 38.5 cm front left to right hole on the rails that is 15 1/4 inchs.

gallery_2077_805_83841.jpg

Edited by Wedge

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience/knowledge of 280z 2+2s? Are the seat sizes/spacing the same? or is the 2+2 larger/smaller? I want to change the seats out of my '76 280z 2+2 but I'm not sure if this list applies to my car as well...

I haven't had a chance to go out and measure my seat dimensions but I don't know the stock 280z seat dimensions either...

Any thoughts/insights would be much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Didnt have any info back on dc2 .I wrote to couple shops who have them and didn't even write back and some want me to pay them to slap a tape measurer on it ! I'll probably just buy a set and try it since they are easy to sell to civic boys.

Edited by Wedge

Hi everyone, this is my first post here but just bought a 280Z and super excited!

Anyway, I have been doing some research and from what I know, only seats 17" or less fit without doing any modification. I was hunting through google and found this thread on a miata forum...

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/what-race-seat-for-the-miata/5514/page1/

The second poster informs OP that there is only 17" of clearance for aftermarket seats much like the 280Z. However if you scroll down to roughly the 10th poster, he installed a Cobra Monaco S seat in his miata without much modifying other than making a custom bracket. I did a little research on this seat and it says its width at the base is 19.5". Dont know if this seat would work, but if the miata has supposedly the same room as our 280Z then technically wouldn't this seat work?

Thanks,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...