HybridZ

Seat swap list for s30's

gvincent

Ok I have searched pretty extensively and have through these searches come up with this list of swap seats that have been installed in a 280Z one way or another.

First and most important facts:

the 280Z has only 17.5" of width in the driver side rear seat well, the 240 and 260 have 20" this is due to a hump in the side of the transmission tunnel that was used for a catalytic converter, From what I have read and have also confirmed on both my 78 and 76 280z is that the hump is there even if it is a Federal version car and didn't come with a cat

I am hoping others here who read this post and have done seat swaps in a 280Z can chime in and add to the list and maybe add some pictures and tell some stories of success or woe with what it took to get them installed, so here goes.

The 280Z seat swap list:

*Mazda Miata swaps of 1994, 2004, 2006, 2007

*Pontiac Fiero

Toyota Supra MK3 1988

Toyota Celica GT 2000 (required cat hump bashing)

Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 1992

Chevy Corvette C5, C6, Z06

RSX Type S 2000 (required cat hump bashing)

Honda S2000 (required cat hump bashing)

*Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Skye

Dodge Neon SRT4 (not for a tall person, sits too high for 6'-2")

1988 Subaru Legacy

Honda Prelude 1992-1996 also late 80's through 1991

I have put an (*) next to the ones that according to the owners were the least difficult to install

Please put the year of the vehicle if it is known.

Northeast people and other rust belt areas will have a hard time locating any cars beyond 12 years old as the junk yards generally crush anything older.

Thank you,

Greg

Edited by gvincent
Added to list

I have Corvette C6, same as C5. These have a flat bottom aluminum frame so I just made adapters from 1x 4 rectangular tubing and welded them to the stock 280Z tracks. The 1" added a little height to the seat, you could use less if you wanted to set lower. I then just drilled some holes in the seat frames and bolted the adapters to the seats. Sorry, no picts of the adapters. I had custom leather covers made by a licensed Corvette Upholster near Atlanta

c6-seats.jpg

Here's mine. Mid-90's (92-96) Prelude seats in my late '74 260 (has the same catalytic converter hump in the trans tunnel as the 280). The earlier Prelude seats (late 1980's-1991) will work as well, and have a nicer look (IMHO) than mine; but can be hard to find in decent condition.

Very easy install. I cut off the Honda rails, fabricated cross bars from steel flat bar, and bolted onto the stock Z rails. Seat are light, comfortable and supportive.

IMG_2959_thumb.jpg

IMG_2960_thumb.jpg

IMG_2961_thumb.jpg

IMG_2962_thumb.jpg

IMG_2963_thumb.jpg

Edited by jhm
correctness

• 4 weeks later...

1990 mitsubishi Eclipise GS seats work also, they are fairly easy to install you can either drill some holes and use the rails that go with the seats(they don't go back all the way because the bottom hits the rear 280z seat rail support). You can also modifiy it with some drilling to fit the stock Z rails. There is a few inches of room for your head but if your taller then 6 foot its not gonna be enough but otherwise they are comfy and look pretty close to stock. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I installed 240 seats in my '77, using the 280 seat rails. They fit fine. The PO had seats from a late 80's Subaru. Those were a tight squeeze. Made it a chore to reach the seatbelt.

I was thinking of purchasing a set of 240z seats and was wondering how were you able to swap the seat rails from a 280z, is it as easy as taking off the bottom seat rail and just directly swapping it to the 280z seat rail? Thanks.

TritleZ, there are several threads on the Miata seat swap, do a search.

I came across a nice set of 2002 Toyota Celica Leather seats and I am waiting for the person to respond with dimensions, I know I have the 2000 Celica GT on the list already so I'll post this up once I get an answer. If they seem to fit I''l buy them and document the install.

Thanks,

Greg

TritleZ, there are several threads on the Miata seat swap, do a search.

I came across a nice set of 2002 Toyota Celica Leather seats and I am waiting for the person to respond with dimensions, I know I have the 2000 Celica GT on the list already so I'll post this up once I get an answer. If they seem to fit I''l buy them and document the install.

Thanks,

Greg

Figures! the guy sold them before I could get there to check them out!

I'll keep looking

Greg

There is no such thing as a 1988 Subaru Legacy... they came out in 1989 and unless I am woefully mistaken, they only sold like, six or seven of them before 1991 model year. (Six or seven is obviously a gross exaggeration, but I am serious, the legacy wasn't really around till MY91.)

There IS an 88 Subaru that I would bet my eye teeth on the seats swapping in, given the pre-existing datum of "88 subaru seats." It is called a GL, AKA Loyale or "L-series" or Leone in other parts of the world. Shorthand for the car in web speak is EA82, based on the engine.

So the 1988 Subarau Legacy does not exist, I pulled that off the original car seat swap list, Hmm I'll have to search that one again.

So 90-96 300ZX seats fit the 280Z as well? can someone confirm this with pics or something.

I was going to edit the list but can't seem to be able to edit my original post, am I missing something here?

I wanted to keep this list going for all to benefit from the 280Z seat swap list by keeping it updated as other contributed confirmed swaps.

Maybe a moderator will rad this and let me know how to keep the original post/list going.

Thanks,

Greg