HybridZ

Seat swap list for s30's

gvincent

So, I finally figured out what seats came in my 240Z. Twas a long and difficult road since the parts numbers were as generic as generic can be. Anyhow, they are out of a late 80s, early 90s BMW 325i. Lots of adjustability, but require seat mount mods. The PO rigged them up with some plate and two part epoxy (lol) but as I am repairing my floors and frames, I will weld it up proper. Pics!

20150508_081431_zpspvjpidzu.jpg

20150508_081531_zpsogdkz2ug.jpg20150508_081634_zpsobmp36rw.jpg

Welding schmelding.....glue will hold your seats just fine!  :-)

Nice looking seats there -- lots of adjustability for comfort and support.  Thx for sharing!

P.S.  Just curious....what do they weigh?

They are no lightweights lol. They run in at about 43lbs. That is with rails, and about an ounce worth of dust lol.

Both sides have the same adjustments and they have that fancy leg extension too. I just need to find a place to recover them when the time comes. 

Edited by Jay_Gadsby

• 2 months later...

I just finished installing NB miata cloth seats in my 75 tonight... 

These bad boys:

F53115983.jpg

Just a picture for reference. Got them for $75 from craigslist.. Really clean. 

I had to use a 1in. spacer with the stock Z rails on the passenger side, and oval the mounting holes, but on the driver's side, I tried bending the ears on the Miata seat... and what do you know. Bolted right in. I opened up the holes on the miata seat bracket but realized I probably didn't need to do that, as the miata holes are larger. I cut off the alignment pins (could have opened the hole on the stock Z rails... Would have worked too) and the bracket that held on the seat belt and it cleared the cat hump no problem. I'll get some pictures of them in the car this weekend after I swap the miata rail back on the passenger seat. They move you up a tad, but any tall guys (I'm 5'9") could just do the seatoctomy. 

If anyone wants some no joke mint 280z seats with rails, they'll be up in the classifieds this weekend. 

The support is a great compromise of holding you in and still being able to daily drive comfortably. Best decision I've made for the Z so far. :)

So, I finally figured out what seats came in my 240Z. Twas a long and difficult road since the parts numbers were as generic as generic can be. Anyhow, they are out of a late 80s, early 90s BMW 325i. Lots of adjustability, but require seat mount mods. The PO rigged them up with some plate and two part epoxy (lol) but as I am repairing my floors and frames, I will weld it up proper. Pics!

I'm looking at installing the same set of seats in my 77, tunel bashing has already been done, but I'd still like to see how you're making yours fit. Care to post pics?

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

I'm sorry if I've missed it, but does anyone know if Subaru STI seats will fit

What Generation were you considering?  I have a set of 2010 WRX seats  (same design different fabric as the sti) I picked up for cheap from the junk yard, Dimensionally they re almost the exact same as a stock seat. Slightly smaller actually, Just a matter of making mounts. Heres a pic of mine. Ill post results when i get them in.

TPBWkXmm.jpg

Useful edit of my double post.

I went outside and took some measurement and fitment pics. I had a stock seat, a leather S Chassis Seat (s14) and my wrx seats. Both will require custom mounting of course but dimension wise they both fit in the car. I also realized after i took the pictures i was jamming the passenger seats into the drivers side. I sat in the wrx seat while it was in my 240z (the higher of the 2) and there was still plenty of headroom. Im 5ft10.

WRX Rail Width: 18 3/4

T0FaF7Yl.jpg

S93n4YTl.jpg

J8XA01wl.jpg

S14  Rail width: 18.5

SGehRqql.jpg

0gtF5PRl.jpg

All 3 for comparison

NaPbjrul.jpg

Edited by Evlevo

• 4 months later...

I got a set of Nismo 370z seats in without issue - not that they're any different than base 370 seats. Its a bit difficult to utilize the reclining lever without a bit of finger tip trickery though.

IMG_20150719_184149277.jpg

Did you have to do anything with your trans tunnel? I know a lot of guys beat the crap out of it, or cut out the resonator/cat hump. 

Years ago Jon M (Jumbo240z) helped me install 1st gen toyota MR2 seats in the Z. They're some crazy 10 way adjustable and light weight, very comfortable and grippy seats. Back then I scored a pair of them from the JY for $50. 

6FHD1gu.jpg

Eh21F2g.jpg

dGYIaMD.jpgL2x7mzv.jpgkW2FuYb.jpg

Edited by auxilary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1992-1996 prelude seats needs to be off the list. just threw away some serious coin trusting that statement. driers seat is far too wide.

These are '95 Prelude seats on our 280z and they fit fine.

The cat hump required some reshaping (*ahem*) but the seat  fits my 6'1" frame fine.

We used the stock Datsun runners bolted into the original mount points and all the Honda plastic trim remains.

Z21.jpg

They do sit taller than stock (my head doesn't touch though) which makes hanging your arm on the doorframe easier.

Edited by clocker
  • Like 1

Any pics of the underneath of the seats prior to installation? Im having a HELL of a time getting my damned R100's to fit... I bought Sparco brackets too and they're next to useless. Losing my mind. What year is your car? You left the front seat bracket on the floor but removed just the rear? Sounds odd. 

thedarkie

have you figured it out ? I am also having the same issue in my 77. thanks

Ditto what clocker said....I had those model Prelude seats in my late '74 260 (with the catalytic hump in the trans tunnel) for a couple years and really liked them.  Lightweight, supportive and comfortable.

post-4224-0-67112900-1459525195_thumb.jpg

post-4224-0-09201500-1459525245_thumb.jpg

This is my solution. Recaro seats from a mid/late 90-someting Rover (option from factory). It was a tight fit and you needed small hands to bolt the seats into the car. :). Had Momo racing seats before... but getting old ;) and wanted more comfort. Unfortunately dark and crappy pictures...

post-41105-0-41006200-1459696836_thumb.jpg

post-41105-0-37528300-1459696848_thumb.jpg

post-41105-0-30610700-1459696862_thumb.jpg

• Like 1