HybridZ

Will a RB30 Flywheel fit a L24/28 crank

Noddle

Hi,

I've done a bit of a search on here, but didn't find what I'm after.

I'm looking for a clutch upgrade for my Turbo L24 (maybe sports type), and I see you can buy nice stuff from the US (Turbo L28 stuff), but the cost to get a flywheel and pressure plate here (Australia), is a bit more than I would want to spend on freight

So in my research, my clutch specs are Size 225, Spline OD 25.5 & No. of Teeth 24, a RB30 is Size 240, Spline OD 25.5 & No. of Teeth 24,

so from this it tells me it's a larger plate (same as 280zx I believe)

But I still need the larger flywheel (contact area), so this is where my question comes in,

will a RB30 flywheel fit my L24 crank also is the ring gear the same size, since the RB30 are so much easier to buy stuff for here in Oz,

this is where I got my specs from http://www.exedy.com.au/SpecSheet.aspx?SpreadsheetRowId=63775

Nigel

Not in our part of the world :(

But to answer the question about will an RB flywheel fit on the L6 crank the answer is yes.

The funny part about that is I got BOTH my HKS 240mm flywheels via post from a guy in Oz selling them on E-Bay.

You may not get stock 240mm flywheels, but the aftermarket stuff is all over the place there!

Nissan is VERY standardized with their parts offerings (I liken it to an SBC!) My son's L20B has the old 225mm flywheel off the 240's that I usually throw away. That should hold up just fine in his wagon forever. Fit just fine in the tranny and when it was time to put that Z tranny on there...."like a glove!"

The funny part about that is I got BOTH my HKS 240mm flywheels via post from a guy in Oz selling them on E-Bay.

You may not get stock 240mm flywheels, but the aftermarket stuff is all over the place there!

Nissan is VERY standardized with their parts offerings (I liken it to an SBC!) My son's L20B has the old 225mm flywheel off the 240's that I usually throw away. That should hold up just fine in his wagon forever. Fit just fine in the tranny and when it was time to put that Z tranny on there...."like a glove!"

The 240mm is listed for the above 10/75 Europe market but the AU/NZ spec stuff all cross references to 225mm - well that I can find via the factory parts catalogue (RHD Export version) that I have. But interesting to know - might have been listed on other L6 power cars in Australia aka 240K, 240c, 260c, 280c and R30 Skylines etc.

Me these days I would not install a larger clutch on the back of my L6 or RB but recommend the move to a smaller twin or triple plate item, to get the weight down and in, at the back of the long skipping rope cranks they have (however some might not like the grabbyness of a twin/triple plate - but with high power levels even a 240mm is dead in no time)

That's good to know. I was unaware a RB 30 flywheel and 240z had the same bolt pattern/count. Thanks :2thumbs:
Yes there are few things that are carried over, bore spacing, head bolt location/spacing (good for you engine builder to know so they can use a RB torque plate on the L6), crank/flywheel bolt pattern and spacing.

I have even heard that some have managed to get the RB crank griddle to fit in the L6 bottom end with some machining. We kiwi's will give anything a go - hmm that looks good I wonder if that will fit Jim....what do you know if we just cut that, trim it here and there you go a work of art.

Yes there are few things that are carried over, bore spacing, head bolt location/spacing (good for you engine builder to know so they can use a RB torque plate on the L6), crank/flywheel bolt pattern and spacing.

Given bore spacing and head bolt location, I'm surprised someone hasn't gotten busy welding up and re-drilling water and oil routes to stick a DOHC RB head on the L block... must be some serious water jacket differences if people would rather chop and weld KA heads than use the RB. It can't JUST be the Cambelt pulley vs Chain sprocket timing mechanism issues,

Given bore spacing and head bolt location, I'm surprised someone hasn't gotten busy welding up and re-drilling water and oil routes to stick a DOHC RB head on the L block... must be some serious water jacket differences if people would rather chop and weld KA heads than use the RB. It can't JUST be the Cambelt pulley vs Chain sprocket timing mechanism issues,

Way Way different. I had both heads at one time and compared them. No way in hell....

I did have my own torque plate made for my RB build though, after comparing the bore spacing (this was before it was common knowledge here) and discovering a L6 plate would work.

Thing was, no one around my area even had a L6 plate for me to use for my RB hone, so I just had one made. This way I'll always have one.... :)

The 240mm is listed for the above 10/75 Europe market but the AU/NZ spec stuff all cross references to 225mm - well that I can find via the factory parts catalogue (RHD Export version) that I have. But interesting to know - might have been listed on other L6 power cars in Australia aka 240K, 240c, 260c, 280c and R30 Skylines etc.

Me these days I would not install a larger clutch on the back of my L6 or RB but recommend the move to a smaller twin or triple plate item, to get the weight down and in, at the back of the long skipping rope cranks they have (however some might not like the grabbyness of a twin/triple plate - but with high power levels even a 240mm is dead in no time)

I know for a fact that my 240K (not Z) uses a 225mm clutch (standard), as this is my problem at the moment (slippage), I'm going to get a 240mm RB30 clutch setup for now (single plate), at some point when I build a L28, I'll look at lighting the flywheel.

Tony did you every find your spec on what to machine to lighten these flywheels ? (there's a old post somewhere here)

Nigel

I know for a fact that my 240K (not Z) uses a 225mm clutch (standard), as this is my problem at the moment (slippage), I'm going to get a 240mm RB30 clutch setup for now (single plate), at some point when I build a L28, I'll look at lighting the flywheel.

Tony did you every find your spec on what to machine to lighten these flywheels ? (there's a old post somewhere here)

Nigel

How much torque is your turbo L24 making? The fact you are using a 225mm flywheel probably has nothing to do with the slippage. Probably it's just a weak pressure plate. I've seen L28 turbos make over 330ft-lbs at the wheels with a 225mm Fidanza flywheel and Centerforce clutch.

Sounds to me like you just need a better clutch.

As far as using an RB30 flywheel on an L series, has anyone taken measurements to confirm that it will work (diameter, tooth pitch, offset, etc.)?

Pete

My understanding is that RB20, RB25 clutches are essentially Z32 NA clutches. The flywheels may be the same as well. Seems like all of the flywheels and clutches they used during those years are the same except for the Z32TT and RB26DETT.

I have a Z32 NA clutch on my RB25 flywheel and it works fine.

Given I had an RB flywheel on the back of my last L28 this is what I can confirm.

The flywheel bolts up fine. The ring gear has a different TPI so the RB starter is required also. Also the RB flywheel has a locating hole for the pin on the back of the RB crank - my L28 crank does not have this. So if you have a LD28 which does I am not sure if they are in the same PDC or location.

I will later this month be doing the reverse and I will be using a L28 flexiplate with a button flywheel on my RB so I will let you know how that goes too.

Don't know why everyone is so enamored with a 240mm flywheel. Smaller OD means lower MOI. I ran a 140mm clutch and the carbon/carbon 185mm clutches are like butter on the street.

Check out what Quartermaster and Tilton offer.

I could not agree more :)

Don't know why everyone is so enamored with a 240mm flywheel. Smaller OD means lower MOI. I ran a 140mm clutch and the carbon/carbon 185mm clutches are like butter on the street.

Check out what Quartermaster and Tilton offer.

Since this is my daily drive, I can't afford the type of money that is required to buy the 5.5 inch setup.

The ring gear has a different TPI so the RB starter is required also.

Did you use the whole starter, of just swap the 'drive gear' ?

Nigel